Need recomendation 4 cheap PowerPC Linux target - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Need recomendation 4 cheap PowerPC Linux target - Powerpc ; I need to keep my PowerPC skills up. Can anyone recommend a cheap (sub $200) Linux PowerPC platform? Maybe an older Mac on ebay??? What's best? Thanks, BigEndian...

  1. Need recomendation 4 cheap PowerPC Linux target

    I need to keep my PowerPC skills up. Can anyone recommend a cheap
    (sub $200) Linux PowerPC platform? Maybe an older Mac on ebay???
    What's best?

    Thanks,
    BigEndian

  2. Re: Need recomendation 4 cheap PowerPC Linux target

    BigEndian wrote:
    > I need to keep my PowerPC skills up. Can anyone recommend a cheap
    > (sub $200) Linux PowerPC platform? Maybe an older Mac on ebay???
    > What's best?

    IMO, the best old Macs in that price range are the PowerSurge series
    (the 7300/7500/7600, 8500/8600, and 9500/9600), as well as the original
    "beige" Power Mac G3s. The 9x00s still command more of a premium due to
    having 6 PCI slots, something no other Mac has had since they were
    discontinued, but are still under $200 on eBay. (The later Blue and
    White G3 is still somewhat expensive, but can be found for ~$200 if you
    look sharp and act quickly.)

    If you get a PowerSurge machine, you might also want to get a G3 upgrade
    for it, if the processor in it is slower than 250 MHz anyway. Even with
    the PowerSurge's relatively slow system bus (50 MHz maximum), it makes
    quite a difference, and (if you're willing to spend the cash) you can
    even put a G4 in one.

    Don't get a first-gen Power Mac (6100/7100/8100), a NuBus 603 Mac or a
    7200 if you can help it. The first-gens and the 7200 are 601 machines
    and their 601 isn't (easily) upgradable. The NuBus 603 Macs are cobbled
    together from Quadra 605/630 parts, have stability problems due to Apple
    basically integrating a PPC Upgrade Card into a 630 mainboard, and
    didn't run well even in MacOS -- the PCI 603s like the 6360 are better,
    but not as common as the PowerSurges.

    -lee

  3. Re: Need recomendation 4 cheap PowerPC Linux target

    "BigEndian" wrote in message
    news:de2d3bb7.0402271751.7f30b71f@posting.google.c om...
    > I need to keep my PowerPC skills up. Can anyone recommend a cheap
    > (sub $200) Linux PowerPC platform? Maybe an older Mac on ebay???
    > What's best?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > BigEndian

    For anyone who is looking for a "new open platform PowerPC solution" in microATX
    formfactor, AGP slot 3 PCI slots and 2 year warranty, check this out:

    www.pegasosppc.com
    https://www.pegasosppc.com/purchase.php <- international resellers.
    https://www.pegasosppc.com/store.php <- direct sales.

  4. Re: Need recomendation 4 cheap PowerPC Linux target

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:56:45 -0500, Lee Cremeans :
    > BigEndian wrote:
    > > I need to keep my PowerPC skills up. Can anyone recommend a cheap
    > > (sub $200) Linux PowerPC platform? Maybe an older Mac on ebay???
    > > What's best?

    > discontinued, but are still under $200 on eBay. (The later Blue and
    > White G3 is still somewhat expensive, but can be found for ~$200 if you
    > look sharp and act quickly.)

    The _earlier_ G3 iMacs have reached Apple End of Life and can't be
    upgraded to OS X. It makes a fine Linux box though.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
    - - Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/spammers.html
    http://learn.to/quote http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

  5. Re: Need recomendation 4 cheap PowerPC Linux target

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:55:59 +0000, s. keeling wrote:

    > The _earlier_ G3 iMacs have reached Apple End of Life and can't be
    > upgraded to OS X. It makes a fine Linux box though.

    I'm not sure precisely how early you're talking about, but I've got a 1999
    266MHz iMac (upgraded to 192MB of RAM) that's running Mac OS X 10.3 just
    fine. It's a bit sluggish at times, but it does run. (Overall, I prefer
    Linux on my iMac; with a slim desktop environment like XFce, it's still
    pretty useable.) Perhaps Apple doesn't officially support OS X on iMacs
    from this era, but the OS does run; or perhaps you're thinking of still
    earlier iMacs (the bondi blue ones). FWIW, the Max OS X 10.3 box doesn't
    say anything about iMacs being unsupported; it just says you need a Mac
    with a G3 (or better) CPU, USB, and 128MB of RAM.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com