Best *nix to use on a Power Mac 5400 or 5500? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Best *nix to use on a Power Mac 5400 or 5500? - Powerpc ; What is the easiest variant of *nix for a beginner to set up on an old Power Mac 5400 or a 5500, and where can I grab the ISO's? (Having downloaded three Mandrake PPC 9.1 ISO's and found out it ...

  1. Best *nix to use on a Power Mac 5400 or 5500?

    What is the easiest variant of *nix for a beginner to set up on an old
    Power Mac 5400 or a 5500, and where can I grab the ISO's?

    (Having downloaded three Mandrake PPC 9.1 ISO's and found out it is
    basically a dead end on older Apple hardware).

  2. Re: Best *nix to use on a Power Mac 5400 or 5500?

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:24:14 +0000, mark wrote:

    > What is the easiest variant of *nix for a beginner to set up on an old
    > Power Mac 5400 or a 5500, and where can I grab the ISO's?
    >
    > (Having downloaded three Mandrake PPC 9.1 ISO's and found out it is
    > basically a dead end on older Apple hardware).

    Have you tried out Yellow Dog Linux?

  3. Re: Best *nix to use on a Power Mac 5400 or 5500?

    JT wrote in
    newsan.2004.02.25.00.58.33.874694@caffeine.mor.test-labs.net:

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 05:24:14 +0000, mark wrote:
    >
    >> What is the easiest variant of *nix for a beginner to set up on an old
    >> Power Mac 5400 or a 5500, and where can I grab the ISO's?
    >>
    >> (Having downloaded three Mandrake PPC 9.1 ISO's and found out it is
    >> basically a dead end on older Apple hardware).

    > Have you tried out Yellow Dog Linux?

    Downloading the ISO's now - someone else replied who has installed it on a
    PM5400 already :-)

  4. Re: Best *nix to use on a Power Mac 5400 or 5500?

    Hello.
    If that machine is PCI based, not NuBUS...
    I have a Debian running on a PM 7600. Installed without ISO images, just
    over the network (DSL), but I tried one ISO Installation first. Both
    works.

    I had to have HFS (not +) on the Mac Partition of the HD then all went
    well after some tries.

    Use "BootX" from Mac OS as Bootloder, then you can decide wheather to
    boot into Linux or Mac OS.

    Since you will get an older Kernel (2.2.x based) upgrade the Kernel from
    Linux with
    apt-get install kernel-image-<$VERSION>
    ....after looking with "apt-cache search kernel-image" for the Kernel
    versions which are available. (2.4.18-powerpc is the latest)

    Then copy /boot/vmlinux-<$VERSION> somewhereelse (over Network) over to
    the Mac OS partition and put it in the place BootX looks for kernel
    images (in Mac OS)

    Don't install the Quik Bootloader in Linux, an option suggested by the
    installer; it prevents from booting into the mac.

    Debian is IMHO a bit complicated to handle, software installs with
    dselect are uncomfortable ... you get very long lists for selecting
    software. But at least it works.

    Greetings,
    Robert

    --
    The Adress my@privacy.net is against spammers
    and goes directly into the bin.

  5. Re: Best *nix to use on a Power Mac 5400 or 5500?

    mark wrote:

    >>>What is the easiest variant of *nix for a beginner to set up on an old
    >>>Power Mac 5400 or a 5500, and where can I grab the ISO's?

    > Downloading the ISO's now - someone else replied who has installed it on a
    > PM5400 already :-)

    I'm the one who has it installed, but it's on a 5500/225 not a 5400. A
    year or so ago I had a couple of 5400's and may have tried Mandrake. I
    went looking for 5500's because I liked the all in one aspect, and the
    5500 has 2 megs of video ram, which makes a huge performance boost over
    the .5 mb in the 5400. Since there's no way to boost the VRAM, I picked
    up a couple of the 5500's from a school system that had gone to iMacs
    and later machines.

    I had a problem with the system battery on one machine. After changing
    the battery nothing worked. I've since reinstalled on my second machine.
    If you have one of these older machines, I'd recommend checking the
    status of the 4.5v alkaline battery before going any further. If needed
    it will probably cost you about $10 to $15 for a new one.

    --
    ***Ken Browne clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village,Massachusetts***
    remove "REMOVESPAM" to reply

  6. Re: Best *nix to use on a Power Mac 5400 or 5500?

    KBee wrote in

    >> Downloading the ISO's now - someone else replied who has installed it
    >> on a PM5400 already :-)

    > I'm the one who has it installed, but it's on a 5500/225 not a 5400. A
    > year or so ago I had a couple of 5400's and may have tried Mandrake. I
    > went looking for 5500's because I liked the all in one aspect, and the
    > 5500 has 2 megs of video ram, which makes a huge performance boost
    > over the .5 mb in the 5400. Since there's no way to boost the VRAM, I
    > picked up a couple of the 5500's from a school system that had gone to
    > iMacs and later machines.

    Fair enough - I have both machines, and it looks like the hard drive in the
    5400 is flaky, so I guess I'll install on the 5500 instead (when I have a
    "free" day :-)

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread