2.6.2 kernel on beige G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on 2.6.2 kernel on beige G3 - Powerpc ; I recently compiled the 2.6.2 kernel for my beige G3 (I'm running SuSE PPC 7.3). Two questions: 1) The floppy driver (SWIM-3) appears to have broken in the 2.6 strain. Has anyone fixed that? Is there a patch? 2) More ...

  1. 2.6.2 kernel on beige G3

    I recently compiled the 2.6.2 kernel for my beige G3 (I'm running SuSE PPC
    7.3). Two questions:

    1) The floppy driver (SWIM-3) appears to have broken in the 2.6 strain.
    Has anyone fixed that? Is there a patch?

    2) More importantly, my keyboard is no longer correctly mapped. It's an
    ADB Extended II. It's showing a "2" when I press "r", "3" when I press "t",
    "=" when I press "o", etc. It works fine in classic MacOS and in the 2.4.24
    kernel. Any thoughts?

    Thanks in advance!

    - Jon

  2. Re: 2.6.2 kernel on beige G3

    In article <91dc67ec.0402182111.494e7a4f@posting.google.com>,
    Jon Fullmer wrote:
    >I recently compiled the 2.6.2 kernel for my beige G3 (I'm running SuSE PPC
    >7.3). Two questions:
    >
    >1) The floppy driver (SWIM-3) appears to have broken in the 2.6 strain.
    >Has anyone fixed that? Is there a patch?

    Known problem. Should be fixed in 2.6.3.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  3. Re: 2.6.2 kernel on beige G3

    jon@jonfullmer.com (Jon Fullmer) writes:

    > 2) More importantly, my keyboard is no longer correctly mapped.
    > It's an ADB Extended II. It's showing a "2" when I press "r", "3"
    > when I press "t", "=" when I press "o", etc. It works fine in
    > classic MacOS and in the 2.4.24 kernel. Any thoughts?

    Sounds like this:

    --
    "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi

  4. Re: 2.6.2 kernel on beige G3

    Jon Fullmer wrote:

    > I recently compiled the 2.6.2 kernel for my beige G3 (I'm running SuSE PPC
    > 7.3).

    Where did you get the kernel from? Is this a ppc "ported" kernel?

    Greetings,
    Robert Welz

    --
    The Adress my@privacy.net is against spammers
    and goes directly into the bin.

  5. Re: 2.6.2 kernel on beige G3

    Downloaded it from ftp.kernel.org.

    me@privacy.net (Robert) wrote in message news:<1g9iz8l.1jro2yr1jzgylyN%me@privacy.net>...
    > Jon Fullmer wrote:
    >
    > > I recently compiled the 2.6.2 kernel for my beige G3 (I'm running SuSE PPC
    > > 7.3).

    > Where did you get the kernel from? Is this a ppc "ported" kernel?
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Robert Welz

  6. Re: 2.6.2 kernel on beige G3

    I'm playing with 2.6.3 now. The SWIM-3 driver is definitely fixed for
    the compile portion of it (no compile errors), but I haven't actually
    tried using the drive yet.

    mikpe@harpo.csd.uu.se (Mikael Pettersson) wrote in message news:<40348546$1@puffinus.its.uu.se>...
    > In article <91dc67ec.0402182111.494e7a4f@posting.google.com>,
    > Jon Fullmer wrote:
    > >I recently compiled the 2.6.2 kernel for my beige G3 (I'm running SuSE PPC
    > >7.3). Two questions:
    > >
    > >1) The floppy driver (SWIM-3) appears to have broken in the 2.6 strain.
    > >Has anyone fixed that? Is there a patch?

    > Known problem. Should be fixed in 2.6.3.

  7. Re: 2.6.2 kernel on beige G3

    This certainly sounds similar to the problem. I'm not using Debian.
    I'm using SuSE, but this would seem to affect any system running 2.6.

    What I'm confused by is that there is not a CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES
    option using either "make menuconfig," "make xconfig," or even "make
    oldconfig. I haven't tried manually adding it yet (trying to fix
    "make xconfig"; I upgraded gcc and now I need to upgrade qt as well).

    If I understand Debian's site, you need to add
    "CONFIG_MAC_ADBKEYCODES=y" to the .config file and run the compile
    (yadda, yadda, yadda). Then, you need to add a boot append line
    saying "keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1". Is this right?

    It would seem that you need to do both. For instance, my
    /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid directory does not currently have a
    "keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes" item in it.

    Whenever QT finishes compiling (sometime tomorrow maybe...?), I'll let
    you know.

    - Jon

    Paavo Hartikainen wrote in message news:<87k72gjj39.fsf@sci.fi>...
    > jon@jonfullmer.com (Jon Fullmer) writes:
    >
    > > 2) More importantly, my keyboard is no longer correctly mapped.
    > > It's an ADB Extended II. It's showing a "2" when I press "r", "3"
    > > when I press "t", "=" when I press "o", etc. It works fine in
    > > classic MacOS and in the 2.4.24 kernel. Any thoughts?

    > Sounds like this:

+ Reply to Thread