Linux for PowerMac 6100/66 NuBus ? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Linux for PowerMac 6100/66 NuBus ? - Powerpc ; Hello. I have heard that Linux on NuBus machines is problematc... Can someone recommend a certain distribution for my old 6100? I need to build a terminal for other Linux/OS X Computers, thus only the current OpenSSH should work. And ...

  1. Linux for PowerMac 6100/66 NuBus ?

    Hello.
    I have heard that Linux on NuBus machines is problematc...

    Can someone recommend a certain distribution for my old 6100?

    I need to build a terminal for other Linux/OS X Computers, thus only the
    current OpenSSH should work.

    And it should be dual-boot. I wan't to use my mac's floppy disc drive
    sometimes to rescue some old floppies and copy them over if possible.

    Thank you for recommendations!
    Greetings from germany
    Robert Welz

    --
    The Adress my@privacy.net is against spammers
    and goes directly into the bin.

  2. Re: Linux for PowerMac 6100/66 NuBus ?

    Robert wrote:

    > Can someone recommend a certain distribution for my old 6100?

    Maybe you take a look at .

    Regards, Georg

  3. Re: Linux for PowerMac 6100/66 NuBus ?

    In article <1g97rtu.1v19inc1msvhf8N%me@privacy.net>,
    me@privacy.net (Robert) wrote:

    > Hello.
    > I have heard that Linux on NuBus machines is problematc...
    >
    > Can someone recommend a certain distribution for my old 6100?
    >
    > I need to build a terminal for other Linux/OS X Computers, thus only the
    > current OpenSSH should work.
    >
    > And it should be dual-boot. I wan't to use my mac's floppy disc drive
    > sometimes to rescue some old floppies and copy them over if possible.
    >
    > Thank you for recommendations!
    > Greetings from germany
    > Robert Welz

    There was MkLinux, although I'm not sure how well its still supported:
    http://www.mklinux.org/

    --
    "My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
    --The Full Monty

  4. Re: Linux for PowerMac 6100/66 NuBus ?

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 06:00:04 +0000, Lorenzo Thurman wrote:

    > There was MkLinux, although I'm not sure how well its still supported:
    > http://www.mklinux.org/

    It's pretty much unmaintained. The nubus-pmac kernel is a much better bet,
    though it takes some work (and a small working MacOS install, on a 6100)
    to get Linux booted on one. You have to use the MkLinux booter to load the
    kernel. I've run it on several 6100s before though, so it definitely can
    be done.

    --
    Derrik Pates
    dpates@dsdk12.net