linux on a the latest powerbook G4 ?? - Powerpc

  2. Re: linux on a the latest powerbook G4 ??

    Hi,

    Anthony Lichnewsky a écrit :

    > I wanted to know if the latest powerbook G4 (1.25Ghz)
    > (Titanium 15" or 17" with superdrive Dvd burner and extreme airport)
    > was correctly supported on linux :

    Yes. My SD 15" (radeon 9600) works very well. You can read DVD/Divx
    (xine, VLC), fullscreen very correctly. YOu can both read audio-cd's
    with xine -H.

    The problem is the first installation. Read carefully the Debian
    ml-archive before to do something.

    I think the link above will be interessant for you...

    http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/test...erpc/20040214/

    > 1) is the ati radeon mobility 9600 correctly supported on linux-ppc ?
    > (as far as I know ati publishes closed source drivers for x86 only, and
    > I don't know what open source drivers performances are)

    fb only for now. But it works very correctly. Excepted the 140fps with
    glxgears, 12.5 in fullscreen :-/

    > 2) is airport extreme supported ?

    No. No way for now. Thank you BroadCom

    But my NetGear MA401 (PCMCIA) works perfectly. MA111 (usb) too :-)

    is bluetooth ?

    Yes, but please, verify. I've read some good/positive reports about
    bluetooth on this hardware.

    > 3) what's the status on energy control (ACPI or PMU ??)

    Soon. Backlighted keyboard works too :-)

    To know more/all, have a look at this link (search the strings
    containing "benh" ):

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...eLog-2.6.3-rc3

    > 4) is the superdrive supported by linux (DVD-RW, DVD+/- ??)

    Yes, of course. Not sure for all DVD formats, but you'll have to use
    Cdrecord-DVDpro (free for personnal use). Look at cd-record site for
    more informations.

    > if so, any advice for the distro ?

    Debian (sid for me) and Gentoo both are working

    debian? gentoo? mdk? yellow dog ?

    Not sure, but probably YDL too. Never used YDL, sorry.

    > would I have to recompile the kernel or X ?

    You probably can find pre-compiled kernels, but, imho, it will be better
    with a new-branded-rsync-ed one.

    Regards

    --
    NO ePATENTS / NON AUX BREVETS SUR LES LOGICIELS. See / Voir
    http://swpat.ffii.org/

    eric bachard

  3. Re: linux on a the latest powerbook G4 ??

    Anthony Lichnewsky wrote:

    > I wanted to know if the latest powerbook G4 (1.25Ghz)
    > (Titanium 15" or 17" with superdrive Dvd burner and extreme airport)
    > was correctly supported on linux :
    >
    > if so, any advice for the distro ? debian? gentoo? mdk? yellow dog ?
    > would I have to recompile the kernel or X ?

    Here's the info on Yellow Dog and the new PowerBooks

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...hp?hw_cat_id=4

    Duke

+ Reply to Thread