Debial 3.0 on PowerMac7600 and Asante FriendlyNet 10/100 NIC - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Debial 3.0 on PowerMac7600 and Asante FriendlyNet 10/100 NIC - Powerpc ; Hello! I have Debian PPC Linux 3.0 successfully running on a PowerMac7600, but how can I add a Asante FriendlyNet 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter? I can't even find the configuration file for the build in 10 Ethernet Card, its not ...

  1. Debial 3.0 on PowerMac7600 and Asante FriendlyNet 10/100 NIC

    Hello!
    I have Debian PPC Linux 3.0 successfully running on a PowerMac7600, but
    how can I add a Asante FriendlyNet 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter?

    I can't even find the configuration file for the build in 10 Ethernet
    Card, its not in /etc/modules.config

    lspci seems to recognize that card: 00:0f.0 Ethernet Controller:
    National Semiconductor Cooperation DP83815 MacPhyter Ethernet
    Controller.

    I have tried to compile the driver delivered with that card on cd, but
    it didn't compile:
    dp83815.h und .c: make gives a lot of warnings and stops with:

    dp83815.c1532 warning initialization from incompatible pointer type
    dp83815.c1533 warning initialization from incompatible pointer type
    make *** dp83815.o *** Error 1

    Then I tried the source files AND the module.o from the chip
    manufacturer (link below) but insmod module.o says: ELF: This module is
    not appropriate for this architekture.

    http://www.national.com/appinfo/netw...Drivers/Linux/

    Can someone help?
    What steps do I have to take?

    I have no WindowManager, so please tell me the file(s) I have to modify.

    Thanks for help,
    Robert

    --
    The Adress my@privacy.net is against spammers
    and goes directly into the bin.

  2. Re: Debial 3.0 on PowerMac7600 and Asante FriendlyNet 10/100 NIC

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:01:41 +0100, Robert wrote:

    > Hello!
    > I have Debian PPC Linux 3.0 successfully running on a PowerMac7600, but
    > how can I add a Asante FriendlyNet 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter?
    >
    > I can't even find the configuration file for the build in 10 Ethernet
    > Card, its not in /etc/modules.config
    >
    > lspci seems to recognize that card: 00:0f.0 Ethernet Controller:
    > National Semiconductor Cooperation DP83815 MacPhyter Ethernet
    > Controller.

    > Can someone help?
    > What steps do I have to take?

    What kernel do you have? Looking at the config of the 2.4 kernel on my
    PowerBook (I'm now running 2.6), that kernel version includes a National
    Semiconductor DP8381x driver in the tree. If you're using a custom built
    kernel, make sure you enable it and rebuild your kernel. If you're using
    the packaged kernel, try doing 'modprobe natsemi' at a prompt, and see if
    the module is included with the kernel you have.

    --
    Derrik Pates
    dpates@dsdk12.net

+ Reply to Thread