RS/6000 250 and Linux? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on RS/6000 250 and Linux? - Powerpc ; Hello, after trying to find some information on google, I found out that a IBM RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to get linux to run on it? Thanks, Mario...

  1. RS/6000 250 and Linux?

    Hello,
    after trying to find some information on google, I found out that a IBM
    RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to
    get linux to run on it?

    Thanks,
    Mario

  2. Re: RS/6000 250 and Linux?

    > RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to

    Linux Support for MCA bus on RS/6000 is still missing as it seems.

  3. Re: RS/6000 250 and Linux?

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:49:29 +0100, Mario Premke wrote:

    > Hello,
    > after trying to find some information on google, I found out that a IBM
    > RS/6000-250 has a PPC601@66 and a MCA bus, so I expect it is not likely to
    > get linux to run on it?

    Hell freezing over comes to mind.

    It's a doorstop and not a very convenient one.

    Sorry.

    Oh, it will run AIX 4.3.3 (with some persuasion) very slowly, and probably
    5.1. So it may have some use as an AIX educational aid, but it is
    extremely unlikely that anyone will port Linux to those old MCA RSs. There
    isn't a lot of point now. Little ones like the 250 are dog slow by
    comparison with PCs of several years ago, and the big ones are huge,
    heavy, cost a fortune to run and aren't particularly fast. I attended an
    IBM course about 2 years ago where the subject (HACMP) required 3 RSs per
    team of 4 people for the practical exercises. They were using machines
    evidently rescued from the corporate junk heap and even they were E30s and
    43Ps - much more recent PCI based machines.

    Regards, Ian

+ Reply to Thread