Best distro for a ... - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Best distro for a ... - Powerpc ; I have an old ppc 7300/200 with 80megs of ram and 2 2gig hard drives. That I was thinking of ditching since I seldom use it any more. Then it struck me that it might be a Linux box with ...

  1. Best distro for a ...

    I have an old ppc 7300/200 with 80megs of ram and 2 2gig hard drives. That I
    was thinking of ditching since I seldom use it any more. Then it struck me
    that it might be a Linux box with a little work.

    My question is what version do you guys like for my aged Mac?

  2. Re: Best distro for a ...

    either yellowdog or debian. If you are new to Linux, do yellowdog.
    Dave
    Charles wrote:

    >I have an old ppc 7300/200 with 80megs of ram and 2 2gig hard drives. That I
    >was thinking of ditching since I seldom use it any more. Then it struck me
    >that it might be a Linux box with a little work.
    >
    >My question is what version do you guys like for my aged Mac?

  3. Re: Best distro for a ...

    Thanks Dave.

    Penguins and Apples... for some reason it just makes me smile

    Charles

    "David Tisdell" wrote in message
    > either yellowdog or debian. If you are new to Linux, do yellowdog.
    > Dave
    > Charles wrote:
    >
    > >I have an old ppc 7300/200 with 80megs of ram and 2 2gig hard drives.

    That I
    > >was thinking of ditching since I seldom use it any more. Then it struck

    me
    > >that it might be a Linux box with a little work.
    > >
    > >My question is what version do you guys like for my aged Mac?

  4. Re: Best distro for a ...

    In article ,
    "Charles" wrote:

    > I have an old ppc 7300/200 with 80megs of ram and 2 2gig hard drives. That I
    > was thinking of ditching since I seldom use it any more. Then it struck me
    > that it might be a Linux box with a little work.
    >
    > My question is what version do you guys like for my aged Mac?

    Put some more RAM in it in whatever you choose, I'd say 256mb should do.
    Debian might be a good choice.

    --
    "My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
    --The Full Monty

+ Reply to Thread