Mandrake PPC 9.1 lockup during install - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Mandrake PPC 9.1 lockup during install - Powerpc ; hey all - I have an old Powerbook Wallstreet that i'm attempting to install Mandrake PPC 9.1 on. I'm using CDs that I've made from ISO images, downloaded from their FTP site. i've used Pdisk to change the Apple_Free to ...

  1. Mandrake PPC 9.1 lockup during install

    hey all -
    I have an old Powerbook Wallstreet that i'm attempting to install
    Mandrake PPC 9.1 on. I'm using CDs that I've made from ISO images,
    downloaded from their FTP site.
    i've used Pdisk to change the Apple_Free to an Apple_UNIX_SVR2 drive
    as instructed. Also, I used that 'Install Mandrake Shortcut' For
    this.. Now, with that, i had to manually search and find the ram disk,
    all.gz (?) because it didn't automatically find it, and was throwing a
    Kernel Panic. This was within the Linx Kernels directory, i believe,
    of BootX.
    Anyway - So now i get to the installation screen. It starts asking me
    a series of questions.. then it get to this one question asking about
    the Function Keys (something about F10 and F12). I hit ok, and the
    install just locks up.
    I've used text install and graphic install and they both lock at the
    same point.
    In graphic install, the mouse is still active when this happens, but
    the installation doesn't go any further.

    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here??

    thanks!

  2. Re: Mandrake PPC 9.1 lockup during install

    btw - just to clear myself up - the function key thing is the button
    emulation mode configuration to account for having a one button mouse
    (touchpad)...

    after i hit 'ok' to that, it hangs.

    dime0000@yahoo.com (Larry S) wrote in message news:<8fd7acb0.0402050521.31f4765b@posting.google.com>...
    > hey all -
    > I have an old Powerbook Wallstreet that i'm attempting to install
    > Mandrake PPC 9.1 on. I'm using CDs that I've made from ISO images,
    > downloaded from their FTP site.
    > i've used Pdisk to change the Apple_Free to an Apple_UNIX_SVR2 drive
    > as instructed. Also, I used that 'Install Mandrake Shortcut' For
    > this.. Now, with that, i had to manually search and find the ram disk,
    > all.gz (?) because it didn't automatically find it, and was throwing a
    > Kernel Panic. This was within the Linx Kernels directory, i believe,
    > of BootX.
    > Anyway - So now i get to the installation screen. It starts asking me
    > a series of questions.. then it get to this one question asking about
    > the Function Keys (something about F10 and F12). I hit ok, and the
    > install just locks up.
    > I've used text install and graphic install and they both lock at the
    > same point.
    > In graphic install, the mouse is still active when this happens, but
    > the installation doesn't go any further.
    >
    > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here??
    >
    > thanks!

  3. Re: Mandrake PPC 9.1 lockup during install

    Larry S wrote:
    > hey all -
    > I have an old Powerbook Wallstreet that i'm attempting to install
    > Mandrake PPC 9.1 on. I'm using CDs that I've made from ISO images,
    > downloaded from their FTP site.
    > i've used Pdisk to change the Apple_Free to an Apple_UNIX_SVR2 drive
    > as instructed. Also, I used that 'Install Mandrake Shortcut' For
    > this.. Now, with that, i had to manually search and find the ram disk,
    > all.gz (?) because it didn't automatically find it, and was throwing a
    > Kernel Panic. This was within the Linx Kernels directory, i believe,
    > of BootX.
    > Anyway - So now i get to the installation screen. It starts asking me
    > a series of questions.. then it get to this one question asking about
    > the Function Keys (something about F10 and F12). I hit ok, and the
    > install just locks up.
    > I've used text install and graphic install and they both lock at the
    > same point.
    > In graphic install, the mouse is still active when this happens, but
    > the installation doesn't go any further.
    >
    > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here??

    I had a lokup on install with a powermac8500 and mandrake.
    I used yellow dog and it worked.

    > thanks!

  4. Re: Mandrake PPC 9.1 lockup during install

    ok - one more time, i'll correct myself..

    this is happening when the install tries to detect usb/bus of my
    Wallstreet, WHICH I DON'T HAVE. its an old, no USB Wallstreet.

    as always - all help is appreciated.

  5. Re: Mandrake PPC 9.1 lockup during install

    ok - after doing many searches for this issue, and simply looking
    everywhere, the best solution i could find is "buy a USB card, put
    that in, and try the install".. kind've a lame solution.
    Anyway - i was able to get it through once without it. What i did was,
    i knew that if i were to hit the 'next' button after picking the
    button emulation buttons, it would lock, so, instead, i hit the 'back'
    button, and for SOME GOOFY REASON, it moved straight on to the rest of
    the installation.

    now, i ended up messing up my System anyway cause i ended up
    re-partitioning the entire drive, which is a huge no no in the Old
    World Mac realm, but that, my friends, is another story

    thanks!

  6. Re: Mandrake PPC 9.1 lockup during install

    dime0000@yahoo.com (Larry S) wrote in message news:<8fd7acb0.0402061134.39917990@posting.google.com>...
    > ok - after doing many searches for this issue, and simply looking
    > everywhere, the best solution i could find is "buy a USB card, put
    > that in, and try the install".. kind've a lame solution.
    > Anyway - i was able to get it through once without it. What i did was,
    > i knew that if i were to hit the 'next' button after picking the
    > button emulation buttons, it would lock, so, instead, i hit the 'back'
    > button, and for SOME GOOFY REASON, it moved straight on to the rest of
    > the installation.
    >
    > now, i ended up messing up my System anyway cause i ended up
    > re-partitioning the entire drive, which is a huge no no in the Old
    > World Mac realm, but that, my friends, is another story
    >
    > thanks!

    If you have two drives or partitions you can format the drive for
    mandrake as unallocated with MacOs and then install. In BootX I set
    mouse=/dev/mouse in the kernel arguments and it worked and I used the
    BenH Kernel which worked better for me.
    Hope it helps

+ Reply to Thread