2.4.22 kernel problem on PowerBook G4 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on 2.4.22 kernel problem on PowerBook G4 - Powerpc ; Hello, I was trying to create a custom kernel on PowerBook G4. It compiled ok, all the modules and all, so I ran ybin to make it available for booting. When I restarted my machine, Linux printed 'loading ELF32 kernel' ...

  1. 2.4.22 kernel problem on PowerBook G4

    Hello,
    I was trying to create a custom kernel on PowerBook G4. It compiled
    ok, all the modules and all, so I ran ybin to make it available for
    booting.
    When I restarted my machine, Linux printed 'loading ELF32 kernel' or
    image or something like that, but it wouldn't do anything else - it
    locked and stayed that way.
    I used the 2.4.22 stable release source from kernel.org. I didn't
    apply any patches or nothing. Could someone tell me what's the deal
    here? I made some changes to original configuration (removed SCSI,
    some framebuffer display servers, etc.) but all in all I didn't change
    much. I'm new to PPC Linux (I was using i386 all the time) so I'm not
    sure what needs to go into kernel configuration to make it work.
    I'd appreciate any help on this subject - right now I'm not worried
    about modem/network/sound/blueTooth/whatnot, I just want to get Linux
    running.
    Thank you,

    Mark

  2. Re: 2.4.22 kernel problem on PowerBook G4

    On 4 Feb 2004 10:48:16 -0800,
    Mark Citizen , in
    <6462b620.0402041048.47a20926@posting.google.com> wrote:

    >+ I'd appreciate any help on this subject - right now I'm not worried
    >+ about modem/network/sound/blueTooth/whatnot, I just want to get Linux
    >+ running.

    http://www.ppckernel.org/
    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor.../kernels.shtml

    The first one contains ppc specific kernels, the second is a custom
    kernel how-to for ppc machines. HTH.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.