Re: X server problems (was Re: Problems with Debian Woody install and Amiga 2.4.20 kernel) - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Re: X server problems (was Re: Problems with Debian Woody install and Amiga 2.4.20 kernel) - Powerpc ; Hello, I'm afraid colour depth is not the issue with fbdev, as I always start Linux from a 256 colour hi-res interlaced Workbench screen. I am beginning to suspect major problems with stable Debian XFree86 with regards to Amiga AGA ...

  1. Re: X server problems (was Re: Problems with Debian Woody install and Amiga 2.4.20 kernel)

    Hello,
    I'm afraid colour depth is not the issue with fbdev, as I always start
    Linux from a 256 colour hi-res interlaced Workbench screen.
    I am beginning to suspect major problems with stable Debian XFree86
    with regards to Amiga AGA chipset use... do I have to upgrade to
    unstable or something?
    How do I do this? Wouldn't it mean a lot of time wasted over a 56k
    modem?
    I wonder if PowerPC Amiga users have similar issues?
    I'm thinking of APUS users, not AmigaOne users, since I've seen the
    Woody XFree86 server work with a AmigaOne dev board and Voodoo card
    personally!

    --
    mattabat

    Hank wrote in message news:<40154AF5.2000601@alltel.net>...
    > Mattabat:
    >
    > Looks like you're having problems in the fbdev. What depth are you using
    > in your Amiga OS before going into Linux. Match that with the
    > XF86Config-4 file.
    > > Section "Screen"
    > > Identifier "Default Screen"
    > > Device "Amiga Video Card"
    > > Monitor "Generic TV"
    > > DefaultDepth 8

    > I see you're using 8 bit in this file as your default. This is the
    > setting to watch for. If you use 256 colors in Amiga, use 8bit; if Hi
    > Color or thousands, use 15 or 16; if millions, use 24 here.
    >
    > Can't think of any other problems. I don't believe you need a separate
    > fbdev package since the advent of xserver-xfree86 ver. 4.x. I believe
    > that's included in the xserver package. Some one correct me, if I'm
    > wrong. I'm guessing that the problem is what I mentioned above.
    >
    > Hank

  2. Re: X server problems (was Re: Problems with Debian Woody installand Amiga 2.4.20 kernel)

    mattabat wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm afraid colour depth is not the issue with fbdev, as I always start
    > Linux from a 256 colour hi-res interlaced Workbench screen.
    > I am beginning to suspect major problems with stable Debian XFree86
    > with regards to Amiga AGA chipset use... do I have to upgrade to
    > unstable or something?
    > How do I do this? Wouldn't it mean a lot of time wasted over a 56k
    > modem?
    > I wonder if PowerPC Amiga users have similar issues?
    > I'm thinking of APUS users, not AmigaOne users, since I've seen the
    > Woody XFree86 server work with a AmigaOne dev board and Voodoo card
    > personally!
    >
    > --

    Well don't give up yet. Try posting your question on the debian-68k
    lists. Check out the m68k ports section at www.debian.org to sign up.
    There's a lot more working with the Amiga 68k than the mac68k.

    Try NetBSD. Or just be satisfied with a text console. You have a
    compiler, server, router, emacs editor, etc. You have thousands of
    packages to choose from. And they are not all X packages.

    I kind of wonder, however, if you have all of your necessary X packages.
    Did you use an install CD? Did you run and install the basic X
    window system files?

    Do the following: output.txt> at a prompt and post the
    output.txt here. Should be able to see exactly what your system is
    booting into from this as far as color depth.Maybe another amiga user
    will see the post and be able to help you out. I wish I could help you,
    but I don't have an Amiga.Kind of hard to find.

    You might try the older fbdev server package instead of the xfree86-server.

    Hank

+ Reply to Thread