Reviving an aging Mac 7500 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Reviving an aging Mac 7500 - Powerpc ; I'm trying to install a version of Linux on my old 7500, I've had it running Linux PPC about 4 years ago but started playing around with OSX on it and deleted the Linux install. I've tried Mandrake and Yellow ...

  1. Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    I'm trying to install a version of Linux on my old 7500, I've had it
    running Linux PPC about 4 years ago but started playing around with OSX
    on it and deleted the Linux install. I've tried Mandrake and Yellow Dog
    in the last couple of days by downloading and burning the ISO's but
    both installs persistantly fail at various points during the run up to
    finding the CD. Sometimes it gets as far as chosing the source of the
    install and then either freezes there or just says it can't find the CD
    and then freezes.

    Not being very up on Linux(OK a Newbie!!) I'm at a loss on what to
    change or try next. The 7500 is upgraded with various things including
    a G4 processor, Adaptec SCSI card, Firewire and USB card and a Radeon
    7000 graphics card.

    Any help or pointers to web sites would be great :-).

    TIA

    --
    Phil Read

  2. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    Phil Read writes:
    > I'm trying to install a version of Linux on my old 7500, I've had it
    > running Linux PPC about 4 years ago but started playing around with OSX
    > on it and deleted the Linux install. I've tried Mandrake and Yellow Dog
    > in the last couple of days by downloading and burning the ISO's but
    > both installs persistantly fail at various points during the run up to
    > finding the CD. [...]

    First, try resetting the PRAM and retry with the CDs you've got.
    If it still doesn't work you might try the Debian boot floppies.
    (I run Debian on my 7600.)

    --
    Eric C. Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u

  3. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    Eric C. Cooper wrote:

    > Phil Read writes:
    >
    >>I'm trying to install a version of Linux on my old 7500, I've had it
    >>running Linux PPC about 4 years ago but started playing around with OSX
    >>on it and deleted the Linux install. I've tried Mandrake and Yellow Dog
    >>in the last couple of days by downloading and burning the ISO's but
    >>both installs persistantly fail at various points during the run up to
    >>finding the CD. [...]

    > First, try resetting the PRAM and retry with the CDs you've got.
    > If it still doesn't work you might try the Debian boot floppies.
    > (I run Debian on my 7600.)

    It's possile to boot an oldworld without OSX installed ?

  4. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    In article <87y8rkt8k8.fsf@stratocaster.home>, Eric C. Cooper
    wrote:

    > Phil Read writes:
    > > I'm trying to install a version of Linux on my old 7500, I've had it
    > > running Linux PPC about 4 years ago but started playing around with OSX
    > > on it and deleted the Linux install. I've tried Mandrake and Yellow Dog
    > > in the last couple of days by downloading and burning the ISO's but
    > > both installs persistantly fail at various points during the run up to
    > > finding the CD. [...]

    > First, try resetting the PRAM and retry with the CDs you've got.
    > If it still doesn't work you might try the Debian boot floppies.
    > (I run Debian on my 7600.)

    I tried the PRAM reset and I can now get into the Anaconda installer
    :-). Downside is it gets to asking me about how I wish to partition the
    disk, Auto, disk druid or pdisk and whichever one I select I get some
    sort of exception and exited from the installer :-(.

    I can't use the boot floppies my floppy drive is errr tired :-).

  5. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    Phil Read writes:
    > I tried the PRAM reset and I can now get into the Anaconda installer
    > :-). Downside is it gets to asking me about how I wish to partition the
    > disk, Auto, disk druid or pdisk and whichever one I select I get some
    > sort of exception and exited from the installer :-(.

    Try dropping into a shell and use the partition tool by hand. (At
    least you'll see what error is occurring.)

    (I don't know if Anaconda has a shell option; if not, you can probably
    just switch to another VT with ctrl-alt-F1/F2/etc.)

    --
    Eric C. Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u

  6. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    In article <87u126uddc.fsf@stratocaster.home>, Eric C. Cooper
    wrote:

    > Phil Read writes:
    > > I tried the PRAM reset and I can now get into the Anaconda installer
    > > :-). Downside is it gets to asking me about how I wish to partition the
    > > disk, Auto, disk druid or pdisk and whichever one I select I get some
    > > sort of exception and exited from the installer :-(.

    > Try dropping into a shell and use the partition tool by hand. (At
    > least you'll see what error is occurring.)
    >
    > (I don't know if Anaconda has a shell option; if not, you can probably
    > just switch to another VT with ctrl-alt-F1/F2/etc.)

    If I knew exactly what I was doing I'd try but being a newbie i haven't
    a clue :-(.

    --
    Phil Read

  7. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    Phil Read writes:
    > I tried the PRAM reset and I can now get into the Anaconda installer
    > :-). Downside is it gets to asking me about how I wish to partition the
    > disk, Auto, disk druid or pdisk and whichever one I select I get some
    > sort of exception and exited from the installer :-(.

    I did have the same problem with a Ti-Book which did have Mac OS X 10.3 installed
    before.

    What helped for me was the old Mac OS 9 disk utility. I did remove all disk
    partitions with the Mac OS 9 disk utility. Afterwards the YDL installation
    went smoothly.

    I guess, the YDL Anaconda installer does not recognize the file system id's used
    by recent Mac OS X versions. At least this is how I do read the respective Anaconda
    error message ...

    Cheers,
    Andreas D.

  8. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    In article <020220040759266483%spamtrap@ntlworld.com>, Phil Read
    wrote:

    > I'm trying to install a version of Linux on my old 7500, I've had it
    > running Linux PPC about 4 years ago but started playing around with OSX
    > on it and deleted the Linux install. I've tried Mandrake and Yellow Dog
    > in the last couple of days by downloading and burning the ISO's but
    > both installs persistantly fail at various points during the run up to
    > finding the CD. Sometimes it gets as far as chosing the source of the
    > install and then either freezes there or just says it can't find the CD
    > and then freezes.
    >
    > Not being very up on Linux(OK a Newbie!!) I'm at a loss on what to
    > change or try next. The 7500 is upgraded with various things including
    > a G4 processor, Adaptec SCSI card, Firewire and USB card and a Radeon
    > 7000 graphics card.
    >
    > Any help or pointers to web sites would be great :-).
    >
    > TIA

    Hi all, I've finally after much mucking about, got Mandrake to install.
    YDL was just impossible, the anaconda installer would get as far as the
    partitioning section then fail everytime :-(.

    So I've got a hopefully working version of Mandrake on my HD but I now
    find I cannot boot into it, however I setup BootX I get kernel panics
    and unable to mount root errors. I've tried the 2 alternative kernels
    on the disks and and various initrd files. I guess I maybe need some
    specific arguments added to the BootX window but being virtually a
    complete Newbie I'm lost. I've searched the Mandrake site but most of
    the stuff I found appeared to be PC specific

    TIA

    --
    Phil Read

  9. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    In article <150220041121448291%spamtrap@ntlworld.com>, Phil Read
    wrote:

    > In article <020220040759266483%spamtrap@ntlworld.com>, Phil Read
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to install a version of Linux on my old 7500, I've had it
    > > running Linux PPC about 4 years ago but started playing around with OSX
    > > on it and deleted the Linux install. I've tried Mandrake and Yellow Dog
    > > in the last couple of days by downloading and burning the ISO's but
    > > both installs persistantly fail at various points during the run up to
    > > finding the CD. Sometimes it gets as far as chosing the source of the
    > > install and then either freezes there or just says it can't find the CD
    > > and then freezes.
    > >
    > > Not being very up on Linux(OK a Newbie!!) I'm at a loss on what to
    > > change or try next. The 7500 is upgraded with various things including
    > > a G4 processor, Adaptec SCSI card, Firewire and USB card and a Radeon
    > > 7000 graphics card.
    > >
    > > Any help or pointers to web sites would be great :-).

    Hi Phil

    If you search hard you should be able to find ISOs of LinuxPPC2000 (on
    ftp somewhere). It's still one of the more friendly distros for those
    old PPCs, and it was my starter (a total newb). You shoud be able to
    get Xfree86 working (though printing may be impossible). Good fun
    anyway.

    Also Debian Woody (3.0r1) is a known runner, though I haven't been able
    to get Xfree86 to work. But running from the terminal is fine.

    I've had problems with just about everything else, and go back to that
    LinuxPPC (now sadly defunct). You may also find it called Q4 (fr some
    obscure reason)

    Good Luck

  10. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    > Hi all, I've finally after much mucking about, got Mandrake to install.
    > YDL was just impossible, the anaconda installer would get as far as the
    > partitioning section then fail everytime :-(.
    >
    > So I've got a hopefully working version of Mandrake on my HD but I now
    > find I cannot boot into it, however I setup BootX I get kernel panics
    > and unable to mount root errors. I've tried the 2 alternative kernels
    > on the disks and and various initrd files. I guess I maybe need some
    > specific arguments added to the BootX window but being virtually a
    > complete Newbie I'm lost. I've searched the Mandrake site but most of
    > the stuff I found appeared to be PC specific

    Hi:

    Mandrake on OldWorld boxes is truly a whelp of satan to manage, but if
    you believe you have it going, you need to make sure that you installed
    on an ext3 filesystem for all the hard reboots you're going to have to
    do to get it stable . . . and also remember to use the BootX "use
    ramdisk" option to point to the oldworld.initrd file on the Mac
    filesystem, in addition to selecting the vmlinux you want in Linux
    Kernel on the Mac filesystem - you should have an images directory with
    a bunch of sample initrds in them, or use the initrd file (in /boot, I
    think, working from memory) which your install process created. In my
    case, the default initrd and the "custom" one my install created were
    identical.

    Google this newsgroup's archives for OldWorld and Mandrake for
    additional details if you need them.

    Best,

    D.

  11. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    In article <402F9D49.4070202@d31337m3.mindspring.com>, !David
    Stoltenberg wrote:

    > Mandrake on OldWorld boxes is truly a whelp of satan to manage, but if
    > you believe you have it going, you need to make sure that you installed
    > on an ext3 filesystem for all the hard reboots you're going to have to
    > do to get it stable . . . and also remember to use the BootX "use
    > ramdisk" option to point to the oldworld.initrd file on the Mac
    > filesystem, in addition to selecting the vmlinux you want in Linux
    > Kernel on the Mac filesystem - you should have an images directory with
    > a bunch of sample initrds in them, or use the initrd file (in /boot, I
    > think, working from memory) which your install process created. In my
    > case, the default initrd and the "custom" one my install created were
    > identical.
    >
    > Google this newsgroup's archives for OldWorld and Mandrake for
    > additional details if you need them.

    Doesn't seem to matter which initrd I point BootX at I just get the
    same error.

    "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

  12. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    Phil Read wrote:

    > [Mandrake on 7500]
    >
    > Doesn't seem to matter which initrd I point BootX at I just get the
    > same error.
    >
    > "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

    sorry, can't help you with Mandrake, but I've been running debian_ppc
    (woody & sarge) for about 3 years on a 7500 - including XFree86.

    If there is any "linuxrc" on the root device of your Mandrake-ISO you
    may try 'init=/linuxrc'. (seems to me like being similar to the
    gentoo-installation-procedure ...)

    hth & regards

  13. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    Phil Read wrote:
    > In article <402F9D49.4070202@d31337m3.mindspring.com>, !David
    > Stoltenberg wrote: [1st hand advice]
    >
    > Doesn't seem to matter which initrd I point BootX at I just get the
    > same error.
    >
    > "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

    Hi:

    Find and use the MacOS version of pdisk and cut/paste the output into a
    post to this group. Do the same with the exact text parms you're
    putting into BootX.

    * Make sure you are checking the "Use Ramdisk" option and selecting the
    correct initrd file as the ramdisk image on the MacOS filesystem. *

    Also, that you're selecting the appropriate vmlinux on the MacOS filesystem.

    If you do all this correctly, at a minimum you'll get a different error
    message.

    Let us know what happens . . .

    Best,

    D.

  14. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    In article <2%LZb.2456$yZ1.1540@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
    !David Stoltenberg wrote:

    > Phil Read wrote:
    > > In article <402F9D49.4070202@d31337m3.mindspring.com>, !David
    > > Stoltenberg wrote: [1st hand advice]
    > >
    > > Doesn't seem to matter which initrd I point BootX at I just get the
    > > same error.
    > >
    > > "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

    > Hi:
    >
    > Find and use the MacOS version of pdisk and cut/paste the output into a
    > post to this group.

    pdisk output is:-

    Top level command (? for help): L
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.0'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.1'

    Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/scsi0.2' (/dev/sda)
    #: type name length base ( size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    2: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 54 @ 64
    3: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 74 @ 118
    4: Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh 512 @ 192
    5: Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 704
    6: Apple_HFS FWB 2 GB 4123510 @ 1216 ( 2.0G)
    7: 10 @ 4124726

    Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=4124735 (2.0G)
    DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
    Drivers-
    1: @ 64 for 22, type=0x1
    2: @ 118 for 36, type=0xffff

    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.3'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.4'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.5'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi0.6'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi1.0'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi1.1'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi1.2'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi1.3'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi1.4'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi1.5'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi1.6'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi2.0'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi2.1'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi2.2'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi2.3'

    Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/scsi2.4' (/dev/sdb)
    #: type name length base ( size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    2: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 54 @ 64
    3: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 74 @ 118
    4: Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh 512 @ 192
    5: Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 704
    6: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Linux ext3 5200158 @ 1216 ( 2.5G)
    7: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 1024000 @ 5201374 (500.0M)
    8: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Linux ext3 3365856 @ 6225374 ( 1.6G)
    9: Apple_HFS untitled 2 8192000 @ 9591230 ( 3.9G)
    10: Apple_Free Extra 10 @ 17783230

    Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=17783239 (8.5G)
    DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
    Drivers-
    1: @ 64 for 22, type=0x1
    2: @ 118 for 36, type=0xffff

    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi2.5'
    pdisk: can't open file '/dev/scsi2.6'
    Top level command (? for help):

    > Do the same with the exact text parms you're
    > putting into BootX.

    Not sure what I should be using here?

    > * Make sure you are checking the "Use Ramdisk" option and selecting the
    > correct initrd file as the ramdisk image on the MacOS filesystem. *
    >
    > Also, that you're selecting the appropriate vmlinux on the MacOS filesystem.
    >
    > If you do all this correctly, at a minimum you'll get a different error
    > message.
    >
    > Let us know what happens . . .
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > D.

    Kernel vmlinux
    initrd initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.ext3

    Error message is "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option
    to kernel."

    --
    Phil Read

  15. Re: Reviving an aging Mac 7500

    Phil Read wrote:
    > pdisk output is:-

    > Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/scsi2.4' (/dev/sdb)
    > #: type name length base ( size )

    > 6: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Linux ext3 5200158 @ 1216 ( 2.5G)
    > 7: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 1024000 @ 5201374 (500.0M)
    > 8: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Linux ext3 3365856 @ 6225374 ( 1.6G)

    >>Do the same with the exact text parms you're
    >>putting into BootX.

    > Not sure what I should be using here?
    >
    >>* Make sure you are checking the "Use Ramdisk" option and selecting the
    >>correct initrd file as the ramdisk image on the MacOS filesystem. *
    >>

    > Kernel vmlinux
    > initrd initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.ext3
    >
    > Error message is "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option
    > to kernel."

    Hi:

    For BootX to work for Mandrake, you need to explicitly and correctly
    specify 4 things in the BootX Control panel and select Linux as the boot
    OS: Mac F/S Kernel location, Mac F/S initrd location, Linux root
    partition for /boot, /etc and friends, and video parms.

    0. Click the BootX App application (Control Panel)

    1. If you have a Linux Kernels folder in the System Folder of your
    Mac-side F/S, select the kernel file via the Kernel: pulldown - you
    should see the literal name of the exact vmlinux file you're booting
    from when in this spot when done.

    2. Same panel: now, click Options and you'll get 4 checkboxes you can
    optionally fill in - check the option that says "Use the specified RAM
    Disk". Use the Select button to select the initrd file you need - if
    initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.ext3, that's what you'll see when done. Click OK.

    3. Back at the main Bootx Control Panel: it looks like /dev/sdb6 is
    where your linux /boot etc. lives, so fill in the sdb6 part in the Root
    Device box (if it's sdb8 or something else fill that in, but my guess is
    your /boot is on sdb6).

    4. In the More Kernel arguments box, enter your video= parms if you
    know them - otherwise just check the "No video driver" box for failsafe
    video.

    Click "Save to prefs". Click the Linux button. Hopefully you'll do
    fine ths time. If not, go into your Preference folder, find your BootX
    preferences file, and open it up in ResEdit. There's only one resource
    (PREF) - doubleclick it to open it and you'll see 1 item called #128
    listed - doubleclick that and you'll see what BootX is telling linux at
    boot time - cut and paste that into a reply to this post, and we'll try
    again.

    All for now.

    Best,

    D.