YDL on G3 AIO? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on YDL on G3 AIO? - Powerpc ; I have not been able to get a G3 AIO to boot from the YDL install CDs. It boots fine from the Mac OS CDs. Are there boot floppies available for YDL? Is there any particular reason the YDL disks ...

  1. YDL on G3 AIO?

    I have not been able to get a G3 AIO to boot from the YDL install CDs. It boots fine from the Mac OS CDs.

    Are there boot floppies available for YDL? Is there any particular reason the YDL disks wouldn't boot. There were burned
    directly off the ISOs.

    TIA,
    Pete

  2. Re: YDL on G3 AIO?

    In Peter Young wrote:
    > I have not been able to get a G3 AIO to boot from the YDL install CDs.
    > It boots fine from the Mac OS CDs.
    >
    > Are there boot floppies available for YDL? Is there any particular
    > reason the YDL disks wouldn't boot. There were burned directly off the
    > ISOs.

    The old world machines do not boot directly into Linux, either from a
    hard drive or CD.

    Yellow Dog has a pdf on their site called "A Companion to Installing
    Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1". This will guide you step by step through
    installing Yellow Dog Linux on an AIO.

    Yellow Dog Linux installed very easily on my AIO.

    bill

  3. Re: YDL on G3 AIO?

    "William Ove" wrote in message news:20040129172258231-0600@netnews.mchsi.com...
    > In Peter Young wrote:
    > > I have not been able to get a G3 AIO to boot from the YDL install CDs.
    > > It boots fine from the Mac OS CDs.
    > >
    > > Are there boot floppies available for YDL? Is there any particular
    > > reason the YDL disks wouldn't boot. There were burned directly off the
    > > ISOs.

    > The old world machines do not boot directly into Linux, either from a
    > hard drive or CD.
    >
    > Yellow Dog has a pdf on their site called "A Companion to Installing
    > Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1". This will guide you step by step through
    > installing Yellow Dog Linux on an AIO.
    >
    > Yellow Dog Linux installed very easily on my AIO.

    I'll take a look. Thanks very much for the info.

    -Pete

  4. Re: YDL on G3 AIO?

    Peter Young wrote:
    > "William Ove" wrote in message news:20040129172258231-0600@netnews.mchsi.com...
    >
    >>In Peter Young wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have not been able to get a G3 AIO to boot from the YDL install CDs.
    >>>It boots fine from the Mac OS CDs.

    >>The old world machines do not boot directly into Linux, either from a
    >>hard drive or CD.
    >>
    >>Yellow Dog has a pdf on their site called "A Companion to Installing
    >>Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1". This will guide you step by step through
    >>installing Yellow Dog Linux on an AIO.

    There's also a video guide for installing YDL 2.3 which explains how to
    install BootX, which is the bootloader for Old World Macs. I just got
    YDL 3.0 installed on my PPC5500/225. I used a combination of the
    aforementioned pdf guide and the video. The video mentioned a different
    kernel than the one provided with YDL 3.0.1 and there's a couple of
    other oddities. You have to install BootX under Mac OS putting various
    files into extensions, system, other folders. If you're doing a new
    installation of both Mac OS and YDL you might have to have a copy of
    Stuffit Expander handy. The instructions imply that it will be there
    after installing MacOS9. It wasn't, but I had on handy on a CD.

    --
    ***Ken Browne clacking the keys in Old Sturbridge Village,Massachusetts***
    remove "REMOVESPAM" to reply

+ Reply to Thread