Client for Cisco VPN under YDL? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Client for Cisco VPN under YDL? - Powerpc ; So, I have YDL on my new Powerbook. One of the things I need is client software for the Cisco VPN. I've found Cisco's x86 Linux and PPC Mac OS X clients, so it seems like there could be one ...

  1. Client for Cisco VPN under YDL?

    So, I have YDL on my new Powerbook. One of the things I need is
    client software for the Cisco VPN. I've found Cisco's x86 Linux
    and PPC Mac OS X clients, so it seems like there could be one
    for PPC Linux, but I haven't found it yet.

    Anyone know about this?

    Duke

  2. Re: Client for Cisco VPN under YDL?

    > So, I have YDL on my new Powerbook. One of the things I need is
    > client software for the Cisco VPN. I've found Cisco's x86 Linux
    > and PPC Mac OS X clients, so it seems like there could be one
    > for PPC Linux, but I haven't found it yet.
    >
    > Anyone know about this?

    Yes, I ran into this myself since our campus secures its WLAN with this
    Cisco stuff and no client for my iBook running Debian/sid was available.

    Then someone hinted me at the "vpnc" Program available from
    and I also wrote a little
    howto: - "Wireless Ciscos VPN
    with Linux (PPC and x86) via vpnc"

    Should work fine with wires as well.

    Probably should have posted it since Google Groups only shows 27 hits
    searching for "Cisco VPN Linux PPC" yet none of them seems to mention
    vpnc. Well, now is a good time

    HTH

    -Thomas

    (email obviously is a spamtrap, use 3 dot 1415926535897932384626433832
    at gmx dot net instead for comments)

    -----

    Wireless Ciscos VPN with Linux (PPC and x86) via vpnc

    Requirement are a a kernel with the tun module ("modprobe tun" should
    succeed) and the device /dev/net/tun (if this is not present generate it
    via "mknod tun c 10 200").

    The program vpnc can be obtained from
    http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/, Debian/sid includes a packet
    with the same name.

    vpnc prompts you for the required parameters or accetps a configfile to
    establish a Connection:
    wlan.conf:

    ---
    IKE DH Group dh2
    Perfect Forward Secrecy nopfs
    IPSec gateway 10.100.0.1
    IPSec ID groupname
    IPSec secret plaintextgrouppassword
    Xauth username myusername
    Xauth password plaintextpasswort
    ----

    The lines containing a password can be ommited, then vpnc will ask for
    the it when establishing the connection.

    Then the WLAN device, most likely eth1, has to be set to get its IP via
    DHCP. On Debian add the line "iface eth1 inet dhcp" in
    /etc/network/interfaces and run "ifup eth1". To test if an accesspoint
    is available at all the tool "wavemon" is helpful.

    To establish the encrypted connection run "vpnc wlan.conf", the vpnc
    says "VPNC started in background..." and "ifconfig tun0" shows a
    Point-to-Point Connection.

    The defaultroute has to be set to the IP ifconfig shows, the easiest way
    of doing this is via the command

    route add default gw \
    `ifconfig tun0 | sed -n 's/.\+:\([0-9.]\+\).\+P-.-P.\+/\1/p'` \
    dev tun0

    (mind the difference between ' and `).

+ Reply to Thread