Yellow Dog 3.01 on A 7300/200? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Yellow Dog 3.01 on A 7300/200? - Powerpc ; Hi, I Just got a very basic setup 2GB HD, 32 mgs of ram and I think a 2 meg video card, the question is: will it work as is, or should I upgrade to a bigger HD, video card ...

  1. Yellow Dog 3.01 on A 7300/200?

    Hi, I Just got a very basic setup 2GB HD, 32 mgs of ram and I think a 2 meg
    video card, the question is: will it work as is, or should I upgrade to a
    bigger HD, video card & more ram before attempting a Yellow Dog Linux
    installation. I would apreciate any help as I rather keep 8.1 apple's OS
    rather than end up with a messed up computer.
    Regards,
    Jacinto

  2. Re: Yellow Dog 3.01 on A 7300/200?

    Well do that ..... seat an alternate harddrive in
    there and unplug the old for safety.
    Then play till you get it right. I use a 4gig but I
    have a lot of stuff loaded and use it as a webserver.
    I would jump to at least 96meg better 128.
    -Walt

    --
    Reply to innkeepATncDOTrrDOTcom to email questions.

  3. Re: Yellow Dog 3.01 on A 7300/200?

    In article <401255b5$0$26117$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
    "Jacinto Hernandez" wrote:

    > Hi, I Just got a very basic setup 2GB HD, 32 mgs of ram and I think a 2 meg
    > video card, the question is: will it work as is, or should I upgrade to a
    > bigger HD, video card & more ram before attempting a Yellow Dog Linux
    > installation. I would apreciate any help as I rather keep 8.1 apple's OS
    > rather than end up with a messed up computer.
    > Regards,
    > Jacinto

    You will certainly need more RAM. Don't know about YD specifically, but
    many of the current installers will fail if you don't have enough. 128mb
    will probably suffice and RAM is pretty cheap these days. The 2GB HD
    might be a bit ify, but depending onm how you want to use the machine,
    that might be enough. As a desktop, you'll probably find that lacking,
    but as server running a couple of services, it'll probably do. The 2mb
    video card will probably work, but you may be limited to 8bit color.

+ Reply to Thread