G3 used as a firewall - Powerpc

This is a discussion on G3 used as a firewall - Powerpc ; Hello, I want to use a G3 350Mhz as a firewall between 2 100Mbs networks. I have two questions: 1. Do you think the speed of this powerpc will be adequate considering that I will have about 10-15 iptables rules? ...

  1. G3 used as a firewall

    Hello,

    I want to use a G3 350Mhz as a firewall between 2 100Mbs networks. I
    have two questions:
    1. Do you think the speed of this powerpc will be adequate considering
    that I will have about 10-15 iptables rules?
    2. Is there any distribution that can eventually run from a bootable CD
    and be designed especially for firewalls (i.e. as secure as possible)?

    Thanks a lot,
    mache

  2. Re: G3 used as a firewall

    seriously a 486 would suffice. This is kernel level
    stuff.
    Now heavy duty graphic desktop stuff no but firewall
    should be fine.
    Check gentoo and the hardening instructions.
    I don't know if I like the cdrom idea maybe someone
    else can feedback there.
    -Walt

    --
    Reply to innkeepATncDOTrrDOTcom to email questions.

  3. Re: G3 used as a firewall

    Ciao Nicolae Mihalache, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > 2. Is there any distribution that can eventually run from a bootable CD
    > and be designed especially for firewalls (i.e. as secure as possible)?

    There are loads for x86, but none I know for ppc.
    Maybe you'd check Crux linux, that released a ppc port lately.

    --
    Best Regards, Jack
    Linux User #264449