Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy? - Powerpc ; Hey there - i have an 'ancient' Mac Powerbook Wallstreet (1998?) (no USB, no Firewire, 233 Mhz, 92 megs RAM, 2 GIG HD, MacOS9.. shoulda probably kept OS8. OS9 is a dog on this box) Anyway - it stinks now, ...

  1. Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    Hey there - i have an 'ancient' Mac Powerbook Wallstreet (1998?) (no
    USB, no Firewire, 233 Mhz, 92 megs RAM, 2 GIG HD, MacOS9.. shoulda
    probably kept OS8. OS9 is a dog on this box)

    Anyway - it stinks now, but it's a working laptop, and i'd like to
    extend the use of it. I've installed Suse 9 on my PC Desktop and was
    suprized by the ease of the install.

    Will I have the same luck with this Powerbook? Will it detect
    everything I need it to? Should I prepare first by downloading certain
    things?

    If you've done this before, and have any advise, let me know - thanks!

  2. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    Larry S wrote:
    > Hey there - i have an 'ancient' Mac Powerbook Wallstreet (1998?) (no
    > USB, no Firewire, 233 Mhz, 92 megs RAM, 2 GIG HD, MacOS9.. shoulda
    > probably kept OS8. OS9 is a dog on this box)

    OS 9.2.2 runs smoothly on my Wallstreet. But it has 192 MB RAM, this
    might be an issue for you.

    > I've installed Suse 9 on my PC Desktop and was
    > suprized by the ease of the install.
    >
    > Will I have the same luck with this Powerbook?

    It needs a Linux PPC version. Go to http://www.penguinppc.org to look
    for a distribution. I heard lots of praise for Mandrake, but others
    might also be good. Try to find out whether the Wallstreet is considered
    an "old world" or a "new world" G3. Depending on this, you may need a
    small MacOS partition just to start up Linux.

    Hope this helps. Best wishes, Christian.

    --
    Christian F Buser, Hohle Gasse 6, CH-5507 Mellingen (Switzerland)
    Hilfe für Strassenkinder in Ghana:

  3. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    On 1/23/2004 4:37 PM, Christian said:

    > Larry S wrote:
    >
    >>Hey there - i have an 'ancient' Mac Powerbook Wallstreet (1998?) (no
    >>USB, no Firewire, 233 Mhz, 92 megs RAM, 2 GIG HD, MacOS9.. shoulda
    >>probably kept OS8. OS9 is a dog on this box)

    > OS 9.2.2 runs smoothly on my Wallstreet. But it has 192 MB RAM, this
    > might be an issue for you.
    >

    >>I've installed Suse 9 on my PC Desktop and was
    >>suprized by the ease of the install.
    >>
    >>Will I have the same luck with this Powerbook?

    > It needs a Linux PPC version. Go to http://www.penguinppc.org to look
    > for a distribution. I heard lots of praise for Mandrake, but others
    > might also be good. Try to find out whether the Wallstreet is considered
    > an "old world" or a "new world" G3. Depending on this, you may need a
    > small MacOS partition just to start up Linux.

    Far as I know, it's 'oldworld'.

    I had trouble with all distros until I tried Yellowdog 3.0. It installed
    in one thump (once I got cleanly-downloaded ISOs!) and hasn't given me a
    moment's problem. Quick it ain't, but it works fine (currently using an
    oldish Gnome as my desktop). It runs OpenOffice etc perfectly well if
    you don't mind a coupla seconds wait on load.

    You'll need a midget OS9 partition (I use about 1.5Gb out of 10Gb), and
    you'll have to use the BootX bootloader (installed as a MacOS
    extension), but that works pretty well. Forget anything that uses
    OpenFirmware...

    cheers,

    David Harrison

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

  4. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    In David Harrison wrote:
    > On 1/23/2004 4:37 PM, Christian said:
    >
    >> Larry S wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hey there - i have an 'ancient' Mac Powerbook Wallstreet (1998?) (no
    >>>USB, no Firewire, 233 Mhz, 92 megs RAM, 2 GIG HD, MacOS9.. shoulda
    >>>probably kept OS8. OS9 is a dog on this box)

    >> OS 9.2.2 runs smoothly on my Wallstreet. But it has 192 MB RAM, this
    >> might be an issue for you.
    >>

    >>>I've installed Suse 9 on my PC Desktop and was
    >>>suprized by the ease of the install.
    >>>
    >>>Will I have the same luck with this Powerbook?

    >> It needs a Linux PPC version. Go to http://www.penguinppc.org to look
    >> for a distribution. I heard lots of praise for Mandrake, but others
    >> might also be good. Try to find out whether the Wallstreet is
    >> considered an "old world" or a "new world" G3. Depending on this, you
    >> may need a small MacOS partition just to start up Linux.

    > Far as I know, it's 'oldworld'.
    >
    > I had trouble with all distros until I tried Yellowdog 3.0. It
    > installed in one thump (once I got cleanly-downloaded ISOs!) and
    > hasn't given me a moment's problem. Quick it ain't, but it works fine (
    > currently using an oldish Gnome as my desktop). It runs OpenOffice
    > etc perfectly well if you don't mind a coupla seconds wait on load.
    >
    > You'll need a midget OS9 partition (I use about 1.5Gb out of 10Gb),
    > and you'll have to use the BootX bootloader (installed as a MacOS
    > extension), but that works pretty well. Forget anything that uses
    > OpenFirmware...
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David Harrison

    The Wallstreet is definately a "Old world" machine. I installed Suse 7.2
    PPC version on mine quite sometime back and it was a pretty straight
    forward install.

    A wealth of information on Linux on that vintage of Powerbook can be
    found at:

    bill

  5. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    I've used only Slackware on my PC's, and Yellow Dog 3 on my iBook
    1st generation. I was very impressed by the graphical install of
    Yellow Dog, very easy to install and configure. It runs great on
    my iBook, 300 Mhz, 320 MB ram, 12 GB hard drive.

    Best of Luck!

    If you need an ISO go to http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=12

  6. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    Den Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:49:39 -0800. skrev Larry S:

    > If you've done this before, and have any advise, let me know - thanks!

    I have done it on a Powerbook 3400, the model before the G3

    You can find info about it here:

    http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique/linux/...400/index.html

    --
    Mvh. / Kind regards
    Henrik Farre

    http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique

  7. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    well - i tried to install Suse 7.3 PPC using their FTP option this
    weekend.
    i connect, i plug in my directory, and i get this message saying

    it just sits and hangs there and doesn't move.

    any ideas what i'm doing wrong here?

    Henrik Farre wrote in message news:...
    > Den Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:49:39 -0800. skrev Larry S:
    >
    > > If you've done this before, and have any advise, let me know - thanks!

    > I have done it on a Powerbook 3400, the model before the G3
    >
    > You can find info about it here:
    >
    > http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique/linux/...400/index.html

  8. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    Den Sun, 01 Feb 2004 09:39:03 -0800. skrev Larry S:

    > well - i tried to install Suse 7.3 PPC using their FTP option this
    > weekend.
    > i connect, i plug in my directory, and i get this message saying
    >
    > it just sits and hangs there and doesn't move.
    >
    > any ideas what i'm doing wrong here?

    Try another distribution and see if they can boot, try yellow dog linux,
    or the Gentoo LiveCD for ppc

    --
    Mvh. / Kind regards
    Henrik Farre

    http://www.rockhopper.dk

  9. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    i actually figured out the ramdisk problem, but its still fails after
    that. it turns out that, i believe, i'll need to add a linux partition
    to the drive before i start this process..
    do either of those distributions do this partioning automatically?
    assuming i can get a copy of MacOS on CD, i realize that this wont be
    a problem. Unfortunetly, i bought this Powerbook used, and i dont have
    MacOS on CD..

    Henrik Farre wrote in message news:...
    > Den Sun, 01 Feb 2004 09:39:03 -0800. skrev Larry S:
    >
    > > well - i tried to install Suse 7.3 PPC using their FTP option this
    > > weekend.
    > > i connect, i plug in my directory, and i get this message saying
    > >
    > > it just sits and hangs there and doesn't move.
    > >
    > > any ideas what i'm doing wrong here?

    > Try another distribution and see if they can boot, try yellow dog linux,
    > or the Gentoo LiveCD for ppc

  10. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    Den Mon, 02 Feb 2004 06:54:45 -0800. skrev Larry S:

    > i actually figured out the ramdisk problem, but its still fails after
    > that. it turns out that, i believe, i'll need to add a linux partition
    > to the drive before i start this process..
    > do either of those distributions do this partioning automatically?
    > assuming i can get a copy of MacOS on CD, i realize that this wont be
    > a problem. Unfortunetly, i bought this Powerbook used, and i dont have
    > MacOS on CD..

    I don't know what you mean, what fails? and why sould it need a linux
    partition? If you have a oldworld mac you will need a MacOS partition to
    boot linux from, if it is a newworld mac it can boot from yaboot. You can
    get MacOS 7.5 (or something) for free at apple's ftp server.

    You can identify your Powerbook model here:
    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...hp?hw_cat_id=4

    --
    Mvh. / Kind regards
    Henrik Farre

    http://www.rockhopper.dk

  11. Re: Powerbook Wallstreet - Suse 9 - how easy?

    what i mean by 'fail' is that, when the data completes the load into
    ramdisk, i get some goofy text (i forget what it said exactly) on the
    top of the screen followed by a 'mon' prompt looking like this:

    mon>

    that's it. i think it was some sort of memory issue or something cause
    the options listed when i did a '-?' were all memory related.

    so, MacOS 7.5 on Apple's ftp site?? awesome. maybe i'll give that a
    shot..

    Henrik Farre wrote in message news:...
    > Den Mon, 02 Feb 2004 06:54:45 -0800. skrev Larry S:
    >
    > > i actually figured out the ramdisk problem, but its still fails after
    > > that. it turns out that, i believe, i'll need to add a linux partition
    > > to the drive before i start this process..
    > > do either of those distributions do this partioning automatically?
    > > assuming i can get a copy of MacOS on CD, i realize that this wont be
    > > a problem. Unfortunetly, i bought this Powerbook used, and i dont have
    > > MacOS on CD..

    > I don't know what you mean, what fails? and why sould it need a linux
    > partition? If you have a oldworld mac you will need a MacOS partition to
    > boot linux from, if it is a newworld mac it can boot from yaboot. You can
    > get MacOS 7.5 (or something) for free at apple's ftp server.
    >
    > You can identify your Powerbook model here:
    > http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...hp?hw_cat_id=4

+ Reply to Thread