problems with my Apache installation - Powerpc

This is a discussion on problems with my Apache installation - Powerpc ; Dear all, I have upgraded the system and I have some strange things going on om my Box. I have some instances of apache installed. I upgrade it from Mac Os X 10.1.5 to 10.3 And now when I use ...

  1. problems with my Apache installation

    Dear all,

    I have upgraded the system and I have some strange things going on om my Box.

    I have some instances of apache installed.

    I upgrade it from Mac Os X 10.1.5 to 10.3

    And now when I use the other instance to call a database (via mysql) the
    link is broken.

    After that I have realised that somethings are also broken.

    My question is how can install the version I want to in the place I want
    to and no in another place.

    The machine on the startup load one httpd instance but I think I have the
    installation merged.

    Additional information

    [localhost:~/tmp] % uname -a
    Darwin localhost 7.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.2.0: Thu Dec 11 16:20:23
    PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-517.3.7.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

    One instance is on (the default)
    [localhost:~/tmp] % which httpd
    /usr/local/sbin/httpd

    also

    [localhost:~/tmp] % which apachectl
    /usr/local/sbin/apachectl

    and

    [localhost:~/tmp] % sudo apachectl graceful

    /usr/local/sbin/apachectl graceful: configuration broken, ignoring restart
    /usr/local/sbin/apachectl graceful: (run 'apachectl configtest' for details)

    but because the running version is on:

    [localhost:~/tmp] % ps -ax |grep httpd
    402 ?? Ss 0:02.34 /usr/sbin/httpd

    if I go to:

    [localhost:~/tmp] % sudo /usr/sbin/apachectl graceful
    /usr/sbin/apachectl graceful: httpd gracefully restarted

    Works fine.

    Server version: Apache/1.3.28 (Darwin)
    Server built: Jan 20 2004 15:55:16

    [localhost:~/tmp] fabre% /usr/sbin/httpd -v
    Server version: Apache/1.3.28 (Darwin)
    Server built: Sep 12 2003 17:00:23

    how I can make this work???

  2. Re: problems with my Apache installation

    In comp.unix.admin Pedro wrote:

    > My question is how can install the version I want to in the place I want
    > to and no in another place.

    Apple really makes a mess of things when it comes to anything remotely
    resembling a "normal" unix machine. :-/

    I suspect what happened is Apple installed apache "for you" and set it up so
    that it would start. Poke around looking for a "Startup" type of directory
    and clobber it?

    It probably did similiar things to your mysql.

    You might have to (re)configure apache.

    Jamie

  3. Re: problems with my Apache installation

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:09:33 GMT, thumb_42@yahoo.com wrote:
    > In comp.unix.admin Pedro wrote:
    >
    >> My question is how can install the version I want to in the place I want
    >> to and no in another place.

    > Apple really makes a mess of things when it comes to anything remotely
    > resembling a "normal" unix machine. :-/

    If you're unfamiliar with FreeBSD, that might be true for your definition
    of "normal". But there's nothing to stop anyone from using a different
    prefix for an installation of any tool they want, of course.

    > I suspect what happened is Apple installed apache "for you" and set it up so
    > that it would start. Poke around looking for a "Startup" type of directory
    > and clobber it?

    It's in the xinitd files as one would expect.

    > It probably did similiar things to your mysql.
    > You might have to (re)configure apache.

    Or, just roll your own & put it where you want it, and tell Apple's
    not to start.

    Dave Hinz

+ Reply to Thread