YDL, Yaboot, and installing on a Pismo w/replacement CD-ROM drive - Powerpc

This is a discussion on YDL, Yaboot, and installing on a Pismo w/replacement CD-ROM drive - Powerpc ; hi there, I'm trying to install YDL on a Pismo (using the 11/18 3.0.1 ISOs) and never manage to get started...hold down the option key, select the nifty CD-with-penguin icon to boot, then the screen goes black and nothing happens. ...

  1. YDL, Yaboot, and installing on a Pismo w/replacement CD-ROM drive

    hi there,
    I'm trying to install YDL on a Pismo (using the 11/18 3.0.1 ISOs) and
    never manage to get started...hold down the option key, select the
    nifty CD-with-penguin icon to boot, then the screen goes black and
    nothing happens. Firmware is updated to the most recent version.
    I've been told on the YDL support list that this is a problem with
    Yaboot not supporting replacement internal CD/DVD drives. My original
    drive lasted about two years, this is an eBay'ed replacement.

    It was suggested to me that PPC install ISOs are built in such a way
    that aftermarket CD/DVD drives will not work for installing. Anyone
    have thoughts, or a workaround? Thanks.

  2. Re: YDL, Yaboot, and installing on a Pismo w/replacement CD-ROM drive

    Problem (mostly) solved; it turns out that the aftermarket replacement
    DVD-ROM internal drive conflicted with yaboot. Booting from Open
    Firmware and specifying the the correct drive and bootloader location
    solved the problem.

+ Reply to Thread