replacing an ADB mouse with USB mouse - Powerpc

This is a discussion on replacing an ADB mouse with USB mouse - Powerpc ; So I installed a USB card into my 601/120 PowerCurve and YDL 3.0 recognizes it (it seems) but then it loads and un-loads the USB driver during boot (i'll include my dmesg output on a follow-up). So I have the ...

  1. replacing an ADB mouse with USB mouse

    So I installed a USB card into my 601/120 PowerCurve and YDL 3.0 recognizes
    it (it seems) but then it loads and un-loads the USB driver during boot
    (i'll include my dmesg output on a follow-up).

    So I have the little Mac hand for the USB mouse cursor frozen in the middle
    of my display and the ADB mouse continues to work. I tried disconnecting the
    ADB mouse before startup but it doesn't help.

    Anyone know a quick fix? I suspect that I have to tell the X server about the
    mouse and that I need to be able to load the USB drivers again. An lsmod
    shows no usb modules loaded. In fact I'm unable to find them on the system
    (presuming that I should find a usbcore or usb-hid somewhere but I don't know
    the exact names).

    Also, have looked on the YDL site but no instructions or references in the news
    groups more recent than a year ago (that is, nothing with YDL 3.0).

    Any suggestions?

    thanks,
    Stefan

  2. Re: replacing an ADB mouse with USB mouse

    In article <56aa769d.0312011604.75596824@posting.google.com>,
    stefan_isaacs@yahoo.com (stefan isaacs) wrote:

    > thanks,
    > Stefan

    Can you boot into root, stay in text (console) mode and use a config tool?
    Or, if you know the module specific to the mouse and it launches during
    boot, use the Interface option (if it exists) to choose N (no).

    (Mandrake 9.1 for PowerPC on a PowerMac 8500.)

  3. Re: replacing an ADB mouse with USB mouse

    123@123.com (Mac) wrote in message news:<123-0112031927020001@dsl-140-215.aei.ca>...
    > In article <56aa769d.0312011604.75596824@posting.google.com>,
    > stefan_isaacs@yahoo.com (stefan isaacs) wrote:
    >

    > > thanks,
    > > Stefan

    > Can you boot into root, stay in text (console) mode and use a config tool?
    > Or, if you know the module specific to the mouse and it launches during
    > boot, use the Interface option (if it exists) to choose N (no).

    I can boot into root if necessary. And use a config tool. But the standard
    graphical mouse config tool under YDL just seems to ignore my choice of a
    USB two-button, wheel mouse.

    I'm not sure if this is a XF86Config issue or a module issue. lsmod doesn't
    show the USB modules (usbcore, usb-uhci, hid, mousedev). In fact,
    I don't find them under /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/kernel/drivers/usb.
    After I insmod usb ehci-hcd, usbview does show the PCI USB card, but
    no mouse.

    The relevant errors in dmesg appear to be:

    PCI:00:10.0: Resource 0: f3000000-f301ffff (f=200), vd: 106b, dev: 0002
    PCI:00:0e.0: Resource 4: 00000420-0000043f (f=101), vd: 1106, dev: 3038
    PCI:00:0e.1: Resource 4: 00000400-0000041f (f=101), vd: 1106, dev: 3038
    PCI:00:0e.2: Resource 0: 80800000-808000ff (f=200), vd: 1106, dev: 3104
    PCI: Via IRQ fixup for 00:0e.0, from 24 to 8
    PCI: Via IRQ fixup for 00:0e.1, from 24 to 8

    usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    usb.c: registered new driver hid
    hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik
    hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
    mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

    PCI: Enabling device 00:0e.2 (0014 -> 0016)
    hcd.c: ehci-hcd @ 00:0e.2, VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
    hcd.c: irq 24, pci mem c7342000
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    ehci-hcd.c: USB 2.0 support enabled, EHCI rev 0.95
    hub.c: USB hub found
    hub.c: 4 ports detected
    hcd.c: remove: 00:0e.2, state 3
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:0e.2-0 address 1
    usb.c: USB bus 1 deregistered

    Does anyone have an idea why it first detects and then removes the
    device 00.0e2 (which I think it what supports the USB hub and thus
    the mouse?).

    thanks,
    Stefan

  4. Re: replacing an ADB mouse with USB mouse

    In article <56aa769d.0312021315.696afce8@posting.google.com>,
    stefan_isaacs@yahoo.com (stefan isaacs) wrote:

    > Does anyone have an idea why it first detects and then removes the
    > device 00.0e2 (which I think it what supports the USB hub and thus
    > the mouse?).
    >
    > thanks,
    > Stefan

    What about the mouse driver? Is there a brand-specific driver?

+ Reply to Thread