Installing Mandrake 9.1PPC on a G4 iBook - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Installing Mandrake 9.1PPC on a G4 iBook - Powerpc ; Hi Has anyone managed successfully to do this yet ? If so, can you point me to some information on how you did it please ? I can't get neither gui installation (x-server crashes) or text mode (crashes when the ...

  1. Installing Mandrake 9.1PPC on a G4 iBook

    Hi

    Has anyone managed successfully to do this yet ? If so, can you point
    me to some information on how you did it please ?

    I can't get neither gui installation (x-server crashes) or text mode
    (crashes when the keyboard is detected) to work.

    Any advice at all would be appreciated

    Cheers

  2. Re: Installing Mandrake 9.1PPC on a G4 iBook

    In article <3cd077ed.0311271137.1b628ff8@posting.google.com>,
    dangermouse_1974@yahoo.com.au (Mark) wrote:

    > Any advice at all would be appreciated
    >
    > Cheers

    Check out //marc.theaimsgroup.com, look for ppclinux, but you need a lot
    of time.

    I just installed the same version on a very old PowerMac 8500 using XBoot.
    You must use Yaboot for New World Macs. Probably the default screen res.
    is not being recognized by X. What are the res. options? I remember that
    the installer doesn't have a G4 PowerBook as a built-in choice, so tweaks
    are nec.

    Read the Read Me. Set up kernel arguments and note which ones go how far
    in booting. If you get to root in console (text) mode, type XFDrake.

  3. Re: Installing Mandrake 9.1PPC on a G4 iBook

    On 3/12/03 12:46 am, in article 123-0212031946190001@dsl-132-216.aei.ca,
    "Mac" <123@123.com> wrote:

    > In article <3cd077ed.0311271137.1b628ff8@posting.google.com>,
    > dangermouse_1974@yahoo.com.au (Mark) wrote:
    >

    >> Any advice at all would be appreciated
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > Check out //marc.theaimsgroup.com, look for ppclinux, but you need a lot
    > of time.
    >
    > I just installed the same version on a very old PowerMac 8500 using XBoot.
    > You must use Yaboot for New World Macs. Probably the default screen res.
    > is not being recognized by X. What are the res. options? I remember that
    > the installer doesn't have a G4 PowerBook as a built-in choice, so tweaks
    > are nec.
    >
    > Read the Read Me. Set up kernel arguments and note which ones go how far
    > in booting. If you get to root in console (text) mode, type XFDrake.

    You would probley have more success if you tried yellow dog. I've used both
    quite extensively over the years and YDL support is much much better. While
    mandrake do good things they only have a few people working on the PPC side
    of things, they concentrate there efforts to the X86 port. YDL on the other
    hand only support PPC, I bet with a latest benh kernel you would get X
    working with the FB device. You may with some tweaks get full dri and
    hardware acceleration(as I have with my older ibook), but if not the FB will
    at least be useable till they have time to build support into the kernel.
    Let us know how it goes
    Colin

+ Reply to Thread