Problems with wvdial and ppp - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Problems with wvdial and ppp - Powerpc ; Hi all! I'm using (Debian) 2.4.18-newpmac on an ibook G3. After a few unsuccessfull attempts with kppp (does not find the modem) and pon (gives: segmentation fault) I tried wvdial: it seems able to establish a connection with my ISP ...

  1. Problems with wvdial and ppp

    Hi all!
    I'm using (Debian) 2.4.18-newpmac on an ibook G3.
    After a few unsuccessfull attempts with kppp (does not find the
    modem) and pon (gives: segmentation fault) I tried wvdial:
    it seems able to establish a connection with my ISP but, immediately
    after that, ppp is killed for lack of authentication!
    These are the most significative lines printed on console:
    ------------------------
    # wvdial
    CONNECT 230400
    --> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
    ** Ascend TNT Terminal Server **
    System Password:
    --> Looks like a password prompt.
    --> Sending: (password)
    (I get this three times, then
    --> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
    --> Starting pppd at Thu Nov 27 00:15:40 2003
    --> pid of pppd: 1047
    --> PPP was killed! (signal = 11)
    --> Disconnecting at Thu Nov 27 00:15:41 2003
    --> The PPP daemon has died: Peer didn't authenticate itself (exit code
    = 11)
    --> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 11)
    ------------------------
    After reading all I could on Google and HOWTOs I concluded that my
    provider doesn't like linux: using the same userid and password from MAC
    OS (on the same ibook) I get regularly connected!
    My conclusion is based on the assumption that the warning 'Peer didn't
    authenticate itself' (for which there is no wider explanation on man
    ppp) does mean that it is my system that is not able to authenticate
    itself, maybe because wvdial does not give the right information at the
    right moment.

    Any suggestion/experience (my ISP is box.clubnet.tin.it) at your end?

    Thanks for the attention.
    Regards,
    Ennio.

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)

  2. Re: Problems with wvdial and ppp

    * Ennio-(Sr) [Thu, 27 Nov 2003 at 00:24 GMT]:
    > Hi all!
    > I'm using (Debian) 2.4.18-newpmac on an ibook G3.
    > [cut]

    I've just discovered bug report 155130 for wvdial, which was closed by
    a new wvdial version (1.54+20030509-1).
    So my new questions would be:
    The latest powerpc version of wvdial I can get with apt-get seems to be
    the 1.53. Where can I find the 1.54 version?
    Bugs concerning powerpc may be sent to where?
    Bye!
    Ennio

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)
    Ennio. (Please change . for .dot. and @ for .at. in my Reply-To) )=(

  3. Re: Problems with wvdial and ppp

    Ennio,

    After you type your password 3 times, the ISP does not accnowledge with a
    positive response. wvdial still starts pppd anyway (in hope the response is
    just late), but does give you the warning "Don't know what to do!...".
    pppd just dies after a while as no positive accnowledgement is ever
    received.

    You should not have to type your password 3 times. In fact, you're asked for
    the "System Password", so it seems like you're logging in to the terminal
    server as root (or something like that).
    Prompts you should get should be for your username and password, in that order.

    Maybe check the phone number you are using, or try connecting at a lower speed.
    In short, you are trying to log into the wrong system, or you are logging in
    at the wrong place/port of the system.

    Martin

    Ennio-(Sr) wrote:
    > Hi all!
    > I'm using (Debian) 2.4.18-newpmac on an ibook G3.
    > After a few unsuccessfull attempts with kppp (does not find the
    > modem) and pon (gives: segmentation fault) I tried wvdial:
    > it seems able to establish a connection with my ISP but, immediately
    > after that, ppp is killed for lack of authentication!
    > These are the most significative lines printed on console:
    > ------------------------
    > # wvdial
    > CONNECT 230400
    > --> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
    > ** Ascend TNT Terminal Server **
    > System Password:
    > --> Looks like a password prompt.
    > --> Sending: (password)
    > (I get this three times, then
    > --> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
    > --> Starting pppd at Thu Nov 27 00:15:40 2003
    > --> pid of pppd: 1047
    > --> PPP was killed! (signal = 11)
    > --> Disconnecting at Thu Nov 27 00:15:41 2003
    > --> The PPP daemon has died: Peer didn't authenticate itself (exit code
    > = 11)
    > --> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 11)
    > ------------------------
    > After reading all I could on Google and HOWTOs I concluded that my
    > provider doesn't like linux: using the same userid and password from MAC
    > OS (on the same ibook) I get regularly connected!
    > My conclusion is based on the assumption that the warning 'Peer didn't
    > authenticate itself' (for which there is no wider explanation on man
    > ppp) does mean that it is my system that is not able to authenticate
    > itself, maybe because wvdial does not give the right information at the
    > right moment.
    >
    > Any suggestion/experience (my ISP is box.clubnet.tin.it) at your end?
    >
    > Thanks for the attention.
    > Regards,
    > Ennio.

  4. Re: Problems with wvdial and ppp

    * Errandir [Fri, 28 Nov 2003 at 10:55 GMT]:
    > Ennio,
    >
    > After you type your password 3 times, the ISP does not accnowledge with a
    > positive response. wvdial still starts pppd anyway (in hope the response is
    > just late), but does give you the warning "Don't know what to do!...".
    > pppd just dies after a while as no positive accnowledgement is ever
    > received.

    Hi Martin!
    It's not me dialling passwd 3 times, but wvdial!

    > You should not have to type your password 3 times. In fact, you're asked for
    > the "System Password", so it seems like you're logging in to the terminal
    > server as root (or something like that).

    Again, everything is done automagically by wvdial: I didn't succeded in
    getting wvdial to ask me something when he gets the provider prompts.
    Aniway, trying from ordinary user gives the same result :-(

    > Maybe check the phone number you are using, or try connecting at a lower speed.

    I tried with different speeds with same result. The values written in
    wvdial.conf are exactly the same as those given in MAC OSX (which works!
    ....grhhhhh ))

    > In short, you are trying to log into the wrong system, or you are logging in
    > at the wrong place/port of the system.

    No, for sure the data are correct. I suspect the problem is either with
    wvdial thinking it is sending the passwd while it isn't (see closed bug
    155130 for Intel architecture) or with my ISP being frightned by a linux
    system and giving deceiving prompts ... :-)

    The problem is that they refuse to give any information; so, my only
    hope is to get some help from somebody in Italy who might have already
    solved the same enigma ...

    ----------------
    I had a look to the log produced by MAC OSX:
    pppd 2.4.2b1 started by ......
    Apple SCCSerial: gtimer
    /usr/libexe/CCLEngine: Dialing 7020001033
    " " : Modem reliable link established
    " " : Compression estableshed
    localhost pppd [358] : Serial connection established
    " " : Using interface PPP0
    " " : Connect: ppp0 <-->cu.modem
    " " : Remote message ^@
    " " : local IP address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    ----------------
    Can you detect anything useful to be applied to powerpc-wvdial?

    One more doubt:
    if, being in a terminal of MAC OSX (which uses linux bsd) I do:
    # pppd
    I get all that usual strange stuff, whereas doing the same from linux
    produces absolutely nothing.

    Thank you for your help, Martin.
    Bye,
    Ennio

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)
    Ennio. (Please change . for .dot. and @ for .at. in my Reply-To) )=(

  5. Re: Problems with wvdial and ppp

    Hi Ennio,

    Have you tried connecting with minicom or something manual like that? If that
    works at least your modem settings are ok.

    In wvdial.conf, you can add
    Ask Password= 1
    which causes it to ask for your password.

    I tried to verify my OSX setting, but I can't find hfsplus FS support any more
    in 2.6. Damn, where did that go?

    Martin

    Ennio-(Sr) wrote:
    > * Errandir [Fri, 28 Nov 2003 at 10:55 GMT]:
    >
    >> Ennio,
    >>
    >> After you type your password 3 times, the ISP does not accnowledge with a
    >> positive response. wvdial still starts pppd anyway (in hope the response is
    >> just late), but does give you the warning "Don't know what to do!...".
    >> pppd just dies after a while as no positive accnowledgement is ever
    >> received.

    > Hi Martin!
    > It's not me dialling passwd 3 times, but wvdial!
    >

    >> You should not have to type your password 3 times. In fact, you're asked for
    >> the "System Password", so it seems like you're logging in to the terminal
    >> server as root (or something like that).

    > Again, everything is done automagically by wvdial: I didn't succeded in
    > getting wvdial to ask me something when he gets the provider prompts.
    > Aniway, trying from ordinary user gives the same result :-(
    >

    >> Maybe check the phone number you are using, or try connecting at a lower speed.

    > I tried with different speeds with same result. The values written in
    > wvdial.conf are exactly the same as those given in MAC OSX (which works!
    > ...grhhhhh ))
    >

    >> In short, you are trying to log into the wrong system, or you are logging in
    >> at the wrong place/port of the system.
    >>

    > No, for sure the data are correct. I suspect the problem is either with
    > wvdial thinking it is sending the passwd while it isn't (see closed bug
    > 155130 for Intel architecture) or with my ISP being frightned by a linux
    > system and giving deceiving prompts ... :-)
    >
    > The problem is that they refuse to give any information; so, my only
    > hope is to get some help from somebody in Italy who might have already
    > solved the same enigma ...
    >
    > ----------------
    > I had a look to the log produced by MAC OSX:
    > pppd 2.4.2b1 started by ......
    > Apple SCCSerial: gtimer
    > /usr/libexe/CCLEngine: Dialing 7020001033
    > " " : Modem reliable link established
    > " " : Compression estableshed
    > localhost pppd [358] : Serial connection established
    > " " : Using interface PPP0
    > " " : Connect: ppp0 <-->cu.modem
    > " " : Remote message ^@
    > " " : local IP address xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    > ----------------
    > Can you detect anything useful to be applied to powerpc-wvdial?
    >
    > One more doubt:
    > if, being in a terminal of MAC OSX (which uses linux bsd) I do:
    > # pppd
    > I get all that usual strange stuff, whereas doing the same from linux
    > produces absolutely nothing.
    >
    > Thank you for your help, Martin.
    > Bye,
    > Ennio

  6. Re: Problems with wvdial and ppp

    * Errandir [Sat, 29 Nov 2003 at 17:30 GMT]:
    > Hi Ennio,
    >
    > Have you tried connecting with minicom or something manual like that? If that
    > works at least your modem settings are ok.

    I've just downloaded it but I get the (in)famous prompt: 'System
    password' and 'm trying to understand from past Google's posts what I
    can put in there. Some say to send pap-secrets, but I haven't yet
    discovered how to do that (putting /etc/ppp/pap-secrets on third line of
    the 'Ctlr-A G' menu doesn't sort any valid effect).

    > In wvdial.conf, you can add
    > Ask Password= 1
    > which causes it to ask for your password.

    I've already tried that! :-(((

    > I tried to verify my OSX setting, but I can't find hfsplus FS support any more
    > in 2.6. Damn, where did that go?

    I do not know what hfsplus is and not having OSX under my grip at
    present I can't help :-)
    I'll come back as soon as I find something positive before switching to
    Sid ... :-)
    Thanks again. Ciao,
    Ennio.

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)
    Ennio. (Please change . for .dot. and @ for .at. in my Reply-To) )=(

  7. Re: Problems with wvdial and ppp

    * Ennio-(Sr) [Sat, 29 Nov 2003 at 23:55 GMT]:
    > * Errandir [Sat, 29 Nov 2003 at 17:30 GMT]:

    [Cut all]

    No concrete result using minicom; both wvdial and minicom stick to a
    login procedure, whereas (as I've found later) my ISP expect an
    immediate ppp.

    I updated pppd from testing and it doesn't give 'segmentation fault'
    now. However, the only way I could get a connection was to type directly
    from console prompt:
    $ /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 debug user xxxxxx connect
    "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK ATDT7020001033 CONNECT '\d\c' " password
    xxxxx"

    The connection is established but I can't navigate (I suspect this has
    something to do with the previous route configuration, as the ibook on
    which I'm trying direct connection is otherwise on a LAN ...)

    What I found very strange is that any different attempt will fail
    because - as I can read from the log - an 'expect(login)' comes out,
    bringing to a failure after a few seconds. This happens even if I put
    the above string as the unique string in '/etc/ppp/pon'!

    I'm very curious to know why the same command produces different
    effects: unfortunately, neither man pppd nor PPP-HOWTO, could give me
    any clue. Hope somebody over there will give some hint :-)

    Regards,
    Ennio.

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)
    Ennio. (Please change . for .dot. and @ for .at. in my Reply-To) )=(

  8. Re: Problems with wvdial and ppp

    * Ennio-(Sr) [Sun, 30 Nov 2003 at 22:11 GMT]:
    > * Ennio-(Sr) [Sat, 29 Nov 2003 at 23:55 GMT]:
    > > * Errandir [Sat, 29 Nov 2003 at 17:30 GMT]:

    > [Cut all]

    VICTORY! :-)
    Finaly, after the nth pppconfig and re-reading of man ppp everything
    seems to be working ok
    The 'navigation' problem was solved with the option
    'replacedefaultroute' (which is not included in the default
    configuration of /etc/ppp/options :-) )

    As to my previous doubt:

    > What I found very strange is that any different attempt will fail
    > because - as I can read from the log - an 'expect(login)' comes out,
    > bringing to a failure after a few seconds. This happens even if I put
    > the above string as the unique string in '/etc/ppp/pon'!
    >
    > I'm very curious to know why the same command produces different
    > effects: unfortunately, neither man pppd nor PPP-HOWTO, could give me
    > any clue. Hope somebody over there will give some hint :-)

    it's still there to be solved :-)

    Regards,
    Ennio.

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)
    Ennio. (Please change . for .dot. and @ for .at. in my Reply-To) )=(

+ Reply to Thread