Need kernel arguments for video Or modeline settings: Mandrake 9.1/PMac8500... - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Need kernel arguments for video Or modeline settings: Mandrake 9.1/PMac8500... - Powerpc ; Hi, Trying to use an old 16" Mac Color Display (fixed res. 832x624 @75Hz) with a PMac 8500 (already running Mandrake PPC 9.1 with onboard video but with a Mac-to-PC adaptor and a MegaImage monitor at 640x480; the video is ...

  1. Need kernel arguments for video Or modeline settings: Mandrake 9.1/PMac8500...

    Hi,
    Trying to use an old 16" Mac Color Display (fixed res. 832x624 @75Hz)
    with a PMac 8500 (already running Mandrake PPC 9.1 with onboard video
    but with a Mac-to-PC adaptor and a MegaImage monitor at 640x480;
    the video is pretty bad).

    I'm looking for kernel arguments (something like video=atyfb (I guess)
    and vmode and cmode values - what might they be?
    Or, (I'm not sure what works) the modeline values.

    So far, booting with the 16" attached gives text mode only, i.e. X will
    say "no screens found".

    If anyone has any technical info: e.g. the onboard video is either
    ATY,264VT or ATY,XCLAIM - but what are the technical specs?
    I searched ATI and used search engines. I found the monitor's specs.
    Thanks
    Mac

  2. Re: Need kernel arguments for video Or modeline settings: Mandrake9.1/PMac8500...

    Mac wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Trying to use an old 16" Mac Color Display (fixed res. 832x624 @75Hz)
    > with a PMac 8500 (already running Mandrake PPC 9.1 with onboard video
    > but with a Mac-to-PC adaptor and a MegaImage monitor at 640x480;
    > the video is pretty bad).
    >
    > I'm looking for kernel arguments (something like video=atyfb (I guess)
    > and vmode and cmode values - what might they be?
    > Or, (I'm not sure what works) the modeline values.
    >
    > So far, booting with the 16" attached gives text mode only, i.e. X will
    > say "no screens found".

    The 8500 uses the Apple "Control" video chip, which there is a driver
    for. Try specifying "video=control" on the kernel command line; also, it
    may be compiled as a module. Once you get it going, you'll need to paste
    the modelines from fbset into your XF86Config; XFree86 has a hard time
    guessing what the settings should be with Control. A good way to get
    things set the way you want right away is to set the mode you want in
    MacOS, then boot into Linux using BootX and "video=control", then use
    fbset -x to get the modelines.

    Incidentally, Apple didn't start using non-Apple video chips on the
    mainboard until the later 603-based PCI Macs and the Beige G3 (all of
    which used ATI chips).

    -lee

  3. Re: Need kernel arguments for video Or modeline settings: Mandrake 9.1/PMac8500...

    Mac <123@123.com> wrote:

    > I'm looking for kernel arguments (something like video=atyfb (I guess)
    > and vmode and cmode values - what might they be?

    video=ofonly

    .... on a 7500 using Linux version 2.4.22-r2 (gcc version 3.2.3 (Debian))

    running BootX check

    [x] Force video settings
    [ ] No video driver

    for more variations try google asking for things like
    'kernel arguments video='
    on google-groups and google-com (mailing-lists results).

    hth & regards
    --
    "Have you any four volt, two watt bulbs?"
    "For what?" "No, two."

  4. Re: Need kernel arguments for video Or modeline settings: Mandrake 9.1/PMac8500...

    I found success with kernel argument (give or take a few blank spaces) -
    video=controlfb:vmode:13, cmode:16 #832x624-16@75
    using BootX, Mandrake 9.1 for PowerPC, PowerMac 8500 with a separate
    Linux-only HDD, a 16" Apple Color Display (Trinitron) from 1992 (no
    power-saver).
    But I think XFDrake will 'default' into the 'comfortable' vesa (XFree)
    driver with a default res. of 640x480, so I won't bother launching that
    gui-config screen/window. Also, the video takes up the required space so I
    needn't fret too much.
    I attribute my 'success' to e.g.

    Mac

    In article <1g50ufx.1c4uklrl6qef2N%rundablage@goehrde.net>, r_bar@gmx.de
    (Robert Bar) wrote:

    > Mac <123@123.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for kernel arguments (something like video=atyfb (I guess)
    > > and vmode and cmode values - what might they be?

    > video=ofonly
    >
    > ... on a 7500 using Linux version 2.4.22-r2 (gcc version 3.2.3 (Debian))
    >
    > running BootX check
    >
    > [x] Force video settings
    > [ ] No video driver
    >
    > for more variations try google asking for things like
    > 'kernel arguments video='
    > on google-groups and google-com (mailing-lists results).
    >
    > hth & regards

+ Reply to Thread