linux noisier? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on linux noisier? - Powerpc ; Hello! I am rather surprised: my 900MHz iBook (G3) is making more noise when running Linux than when running MacOS X or Darwin! It's a highish, fairly tonal, vibrating kind of noise. Can anyone tell me what's going on here? ...

  1. linux noisier?

    Hello!

    I am rather surprised: my 900MHz iBook (G3) is making more noise when
    running Linux than when
    running MacOS X or Darwin!

    It's a highish, fairly tonal, vibrating kind of noise. Can anyone tell
    me what's going on here?
    It's annoying and a pity (guess which os I'm using most of the
    time.....)

    Thank you, Mark

  2. Re: linux noisier?

    In article <3c6df95c.0311210520.427eb70@posting.google.com>, Mark
    Wirdnam wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > I am rather surprised: my 900MHz iBook (G3) is making more noise when
    > running Linux than when
    > running MacOS X or Darwin!
    >
    > It's a highish, fairly tonal, vibrating kind of noise. Can anyone tell
    > me what's going on here?
    > It's annoying and a pity (guess which os I'm using most of the
    > time.....)
    >
    > Thank you, Mark

    Not a direct equivalent, but the first time I connected my old PPC to
    the internet, it suddenly sounded like a 747 starting off, increasing
    in noise and pitch. I was worried (and annoyed). However, 2 bits of
    good news are: that was 6 years ago and it's still working, and I've
    got used to the noise! I guess your iBook is just excited.

    FooBard

  3. Re: linux noisier?

    my guess would be drivers... these might be making your system fan run all
    time, or.. it might not be spinning down your HDD when its not really in use
    (IDE controller, chipset somethingorother...).

    Just a couple guesses...

    NuTs

    "Mark Wirdnam" wrote in message
    news:3c6df95c.0311210520.427eb70@posting.google.co m...
    > Hello!
    >
    > I am rather surprised: my 900MHz iBook (G3) is making more noise when
    > running Linux than when
    > running MacOS X or Darwin!
    >
    > It's a highish, fairly tonal, vibrating kind of noise. Can anyone tell
    > me what's going on here?
    > It's annoying and a pity (guess which os I'm using most of the
    > time.....)
    >
    > Thank you, Mark

+ Reply to Thread