PowerPC 7200 without screen? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on PowerPC 7200 without screen? - Powerpc ; Hi, I just finished the install of MkLinux R1 on a PowerPC 7200/120. It is connected to my LAN and I can now access it from my PC linux box (Redhat). My problem is when I unplug the Sony monitor ...

  1. PowerPC 7200 without screen?

    Hi,
    I just finished the install of MkLinux R1 on a PowerPC 7200/120. It
    is connected to my LAN and I can now access it from my PC linux box
    (Redhat).

    My problem is when I unplug the Sony monitor (as the computer is
    shutdown of course) and the reboot the computer, the system never seems
    to go very far; I hear the disk running for a few seconds and then
    nothing forever... and I can't ping/telnet the PPC.

    I calculated the time it takes to the computer to reboot (with an
    without a fsck) and without the screen it really seems to hang at the
    start of the boot, probably before the MacOS is really loaded (long
    before the MkLinux extension gets loaded...).

    So I just wonder if it is possible to have a PPC with no screen?

    Thanks for any answers!
    Simon

  2. Re: PowerPC 7200 without screen?

    On 2003-11-18 19:54:55 -0500, Xilo Musimene said:

    > Hi,

    > So I just wonder if it is possible to have a PPC with no screen?
    >
    > Thanks for any answers!
    > Simon

    There might be some OF hack for this, but you can try just getting a VGA or mac video adapter and plug it in.

    -justin

  3. Re: PowerPC 7200 without screen?

    >> So I just wonder if it is possible to have a PPC with no screen?
    >
    > There might be some OF hack for this, but you can try just getting a VGA or mac video adapter and plug it in.

    Justin,
    I've tried booting the mac with a PC-to-Mac monitor adapter only and
    it worked. Now I have MkLinux up and I can telnet to it successfully!

    I'll try to buy one more of these adapters in a short while since I
    need it for another of my computers, but at least I know it works!

    Thanks a lot,
    Simon

+ Reply to Thread