Is there driver for IMS Twin Turbo 128mb8A card? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Is there driver for IMS Twin Turbo 128mb8A card? - Powerpc ; It seems like only IMS TT 128mb4A driver exists so far...... Or is there any alternative that I can use in Xfree86? How can I modify XF86Config-4 to launch X? Thanks a lot. Justin...

  1. Is there driver for IMS Twin Turbo 128mb8A card?

    It seems like only IMS TT 128mb4A driver exists so far......
    Or is there any alternative that I can use in Xfree86?
    How can I modify XF86Config-4 to launch X?
    Thanks a lot.

    Justin

  2. Re: Is there driver for IMS Twin Turbo 128mb8A card?

    Justin wrote:
    > It seems like only IMS TT 128mb4A driver exists so far......
    > Or is there any alternative that I can use in Xfree86?
    > How can I modify XF86Config-4 to launch X?
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Justin

    Hi:

    The driver exists and XFree86 has no problem with it, but the problem is
    that the 2.4 kernel seems to only recognize/support the 128mb4A card and
    is mis-identifying the 8mb as the 4mb. You can force the 8 meg card to
    work at a fixed resolution, but you can only squeeze < 4 meg video
    performance out of it. It's not an issue with 2.2 kernels or Xpmac (I
    think) if either of those are those are options for you.

    See/google my 11.12.03 and 11.16.03 replies re: "video issue with new
    install (3.0.1) on 604e/180 with 1705 monitor" to stefan isaacs - it's
    all spelled out step by step. If you don't have imstt.o from another
    distro and can't compile/find a binary for it (google on imstt.o), let
    me know and I can email it to you.

    HTH,

    D.

  3. Re: Is there driver for IMS Twin Turbo 128mb8A card?

    Hi,

    Thanks for your helpful reply. Now, my X works!!!!
    I changed the video mode on MacOS to 1024x768@thousand colors, and setup my
    XFree86 to 1024x768 @ 15 bit color .
    But there is still a problem ...... The screen is shifting a bit left. That
    is to say, the screen image is not in the right position, and you can see
    some left part of the screen image showing on the right hand side.

    How can I fix this problem?

    Justin

  4. Re: Is there driver for IMS Twin Turbo 128mb8A card?

    Justin wrote:

    > I changed the video mode on MacOS to 1024x768@thousand colors, and setup my
    > XFree86 to 1024x768 @ 15 bit color .
    > But there is still a problem ...... The screen is shifting a bit left. That
    > is to say, the screen image is not in the right position, and you can see
    > some left part of the screen image showing on the right hand side.
    >
    > How can I fix this problem?

    Hi:

    I had a similar problem trying to run at a 1152x870 resolution (6 pixels
    or so of "wrap") but could not get xvidtune or similar (i.e. X config
    virtual screen size parms) to work (which is what you'd normally be able
    to do). I can advise you that the 8mb will run fine at millions of
    colors up to and including 1152x870 @ 75mhz (except for the "wrap"
    issue). When I need to run at this rez, since I have a Sony monitor
    with adjustable size and centering controls etc. on the front, I simply
    manually adjust the size and centering of the monitor display to be a
    bit wider and shifted to the right (like 6 pixels), similar to a TV's
    "overscan" - the problem is still there, but you can't see it. It's
    goofy, but it works (mostly masking the display problem) - there is a
    danger of not being able to see console text or grab a GUI widget though.

    Font-wise and widget-wise 1280x1024 and above is a more "natural" rez
    for *nixes IMO, so that's what I run at normallly, and for whatever
    reason, this artifact issue goes away under those conditions. It does
    limit you to 15/16 bit color in your linux/macos displays though.

    Regards,

    D.

  5. Re: Is there driver for IMS Twin Turbo 128mb8A card?

    Hi David,

    You solved a lot of problems for me.
    I'm curious about how to setup my video mode to 1024x768@millions of colors.
    I couldn't use 1152x870 resolution since I use VGA adaptor for my monitor.
    Actually, I tried to setup 1024x768@millions of colors on MacOS and
    1024x768@24bits color on Debian linux. But it doesn't work at all. The
    screen image was separated into 4 parts like 4 layers of different colors.

    Is that possible for me to recompile the linux kernel to fix this problem?

    Thanks a lot.

    Justin

  6. Re: Is there driver for IMS Twin Turbo 128mb8A card?

    Justin wrote:

    > Actually, I tried to setup 1024x768@millions of colors on MacOS and
    > 1024x768@24bits color on Debian linux. But it doesn't work at all. The
    > screen image was separated into 4 parts like 4 layers of different colors.

    Hi:

    As far as I know, there's no way to compile a 2.4.x kernel to recognize
    and display through the IMS TT independantly from MacOS/nvram settings.
    So, if you can get a given resolution and color depth going on the
    MacOS side (by whatever means), you can drive it on into linux. If you
    can't get a usable display (for *any* given rez and depth combo) going
    on the MacOS side . . . you're hosed on the linux side.

    You might try SwitchRes and/or Multi-Res (shareware software titles that
    claim to be able to dial in non-Apple standard rez/depth combinations),
    and if successful, drive from there.

    On the linux side, your only options are either to fall back to 2.2.
    kernels, or try using the Xpmac hack. 2.2.x kernels + IMS TT are a
    different story - you can drive video at all kinds of
    MacOS-unknown/unthinkable resolutions, linux-side GUI-based
    graphics/display apps work the way you'd think they would, etc. - but
    then you have to compile modern(ish) hardware and networking modules and
    improvise workarounds to interoperate with a software/OS features world
    that has moved on to 2.4.x.

    You can google on Xpmac for its details, but the downside is that any
    videocentric apps like mplayer or MAME etc. will probably be confused by
    the lack of a working XFree config . . . and keyboard/mouse
    configuration can be challenging.

    I don't know what the ceiling for VGA video performance is - are you
    sure it's physically able to do what you're asking it to ? Post the
    make and model, perhaps someone has a suggestion, and also try googling
    around for its specs yourself.

    Hope this helped,

    D.

+ Reply to Thread