How can I install Apache in my Debian linux for powerMac? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on How can I install Apache in my Debian linux for powerMac? - Powerpc ; I have a powerMac 9600/300 wiht Debian linux 3.0r1. But I have a problem when installed Apache package with dselect. It showed that it's necessary to install a dependent library "libexpat1 1.95.2-6" before installing Apache package. But I couldn't find ...

  1. How can I install Apache in my Debian linux for powerMac?

    I have a powerMac 9600/300 wiht Debian linux 3.0r1. But I have a problem
    when installed Apache package with dselect.
    It showed that it's necessary to install a dependent library "libexpat1
    1.95.2-6" before installing Apache package.
    But I couldn't find this package in the resource list.

    How can I do now? Does it mean I couldn't install apache web server if this
    library is not available?

    Thanks a lot.

    Justin

  2. Re: How can I install Apache in my Debian linux for powerMac?

    "Justin" writes:

    > I have a powerMac 9600/300 wiht Debian linux 3.0r1. But I have a problem
    > when installed Apache package with dselect.
    > It showed that it's necessary to install a dependent library "libexpat1
    > 1.95.2-6" before installing Apache package.
    > But I couldn't find this package in the resource list.

    If "libexpat1" is not available, list of available packages must be
    out of date, empty or broken.

    > How can I do now? Does it mean I couldn't install apache web server
    > if this library is not available?

    Assuming that you are using APT for package management and your
    package sources list (at "/etc/apt/sources.list") is set up properly,
    you could try "apt-get update" and then "apt-get install apache". I
    do not remember how to use "dselect" anymore, I have been using
    "aptitude" for interactive package management tasks and "apt-get" for
    non-interactive package management tasks for quite a while.

    If you cannot figure out how to fix the problem with package sources
    or package list, you can just ignore it and grab packages directly
    from Debian mirror site and use "dpkg --install" on them directly. Be
    sure to replace silly default architecture string with "powerpc" on
    those download URLs. Get the recommended version of package or you
    might get to upgrade hundreds of other packages because the package
    you wanted may depend on something newer which may depend on newer
    something else and so on... Anyway, for Apache, start from
    .

    --
    "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi

  3. Re: How can I install Apache in my Debian linux for powerMac?

    Yes. I got it. Thanks.
    I modified the file "resource.list" of apt and got the newer packages.
    But I still have one more question about the resource list,
    which links should I choose in the list? Is there a complete updated
    resource list I can see on-line?
    Sorry about asking this entry-level question......
    Thanks.

    Justin

  4. Re: How can I install Apache in my Debian linux for powerMac?

    "Justin" writes:

    > But I still have one more question about the resource list, which
    > links should I choose in the list? Is there a complete updated
    > resource list I can see on-line?

    For package list of stable branch:

    It seems to be currently down due to security problem that occurred
    some days ago.

    For list of distribution mirror sites:

    One is of course supposed to properly choose FTP or HTTP mirror
    closest to one's current location in network...

    > Sorry about asking this entry-level question......

    While I may not be completely entry-level friendly (anymore),
    entry-level questions are not prohibited here.

    --
    "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi
    tulee / URL: http://www.sci.fi/~pahartik/
    rotta" / EFnet: pahartik at #Atari and #LionKing

+ Reply to Thread