Oh damn, I deleted the OS. - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Oh damn, I deleted the OS. - Powerpc ; I have a power mac 6500/225 and I have been trying for the past couple months to install a ANY from of linux on here. I got so desporate I poped out the hard drive tosses it into an old ...

  1. Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    I have a power mac 6500/225 and I have been trying for the past couple
    months to install a ANY from of linux on here. I got so desporate I poped
    out the hard drive tosses it into an old G3 of mine and istalled ydl 3.0.
    It ran GREAT on the G3 but nothing is working on my oldworld. And when I
    installed ydl I wiped everything off.... Genious of me huh? So no I don't
    have an os and every os I try to install it tell me I can't(7.0.1 and I had
    a copy of 9.2) I am so lost. I have burnt about 100 cds and I guess you
    have to have some form of Mac0S to run a from of linux on an old world mac,
    Can anyone give me help?

  2. Re: Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    "Randy Borden" wrote in
    news:KBOtb.185150$RP2.58957@twister.tampabay.rr.co m:

    > I have a power mac 6500/225 and I have been trying for the past couple
    > months to install a ANY from of linux on here. I got so desporate I
    > poped out the hard drive tosses it into an old G3 of mine and istalled
    > ydl 3.0. It ran GREAT on the G3 but nothing is working on my oldworld.
    > And when I installed ydl I wiped everything off.... Genious of me
    > huh? So no I don't have an os and every os I try to install it tell
    > me I can't(7.0.1 and I had a copy of 9.2) I am so lost. I have burnt
    > about 100 cds and I guess you have to have some form of Mac0S to run a
    > from of linux on an old world mac, Can anyone give me help?

    For a boot floppy, look for a MacOS 7.6 floppy or newer from:

    For a free solution to find an OS, Apple has a full 7.5.3 plus the update
    to 7.5.5, caveat: the 6500 shipped with OS 7.5.5 with enabler 411, so you'd
    need to update 7.5.3 to 7.5.5 on an older Mac add the enabler 411, then
    burn it to a CD before moving it to the 6500 (or do a network install).

    You can locate the "7.5.3 unity-CD" and 7.5.5 update via here:

    You'd also need to rummage around apple.com for System enabler 411.

    If that sounds like too much bother, maybe eBay or similar for a CD of the
    Mac OS that will install directly to this Mac (7.6 - 9.1) would do and no
    enabler required. I imagine 7.6 would be very few $$$ but handy if you only
    want a MacOS boot partition for this model.

  3. Re: Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    Randy Borden wrote:
    > I have a power mac 6500/225 and I have been trying for the past couple
    > months to install a ANY from of linux on here. I got so desporate I poped
    > out the hard drive tosses it into an old G3 of mine and istalled ydl 3.0.
    > It ran GREAT on the G3 but nothing is working on my oldworld. And when I
    > installed ydl I wiped everything off.... Genious of me huh? So no I don't
    > have an os and every os I try to install it tell me I can't(7.0.1 and I had
    > a copy of 9.2) I am so lost. I have burnt about 100 cds and I guess you
    > have to have some form of Mac0S to run a from of linux on an old world mac,
    > Can anyone give me help?

    Hi -

    (2nd post of this info this month . . . )

    Go here:

    http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...osh/Utilities/

    Download these files:

    Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin 22-Feb-2002 13:38 1.3M
    Network_Access_Disk_7.5.txt 22-Feb-2002 13:38 5k

    Find another mac or use X86 windows/linux HFS/.bin utilities + rawrite
    to get the uncompressed boot image on a floppy. Now you can boot,
    format, etc., and install system 7.5.3 (free from Apple).

    Mac-based details here:

    http://www.jagshouse.com/7.5boot.html

    Windows-based details here (for Basilisk II, you don't need to install
    it but you can use the MacOS install details from this how-to):

    http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman/bas...ial/index.html

    Same as above for X86 linux:

    http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman/bas...nux/index.html

    Once you have a booting Mac, you can try installing Mandrake 9.1, but
    their Old World Mac install processes and results are not worth the
    trouble in my opinion and experience (I'd say, try YDL or Debian instead).

    Good luck!

    D.

  4. Re: Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    "!David Stoltenberg" wrote in

    > Randy Borden wrote:
    >> I have a power mac 6500/225 and I have been trying for the past
    >> couple months to install a ANY from of linux on here. I got so
    >> desporate I poped out the hard drive tosses it into an old G3 of mine
    >> and istalled ydl 3.0. It ran GREAT on the G3 but nothing is working
    >> on my oldworld. And when I installed ydl I wiped everything off....
    >> Genious of me huh? So no I don't have an os and every os I try to
    >> install it tell me I can't(7.0.1 and I had a copy of 9.2) I am so
    >> lost. I have burnt about 100 cds and I guess you have to have some
    >> form of Mac0S to run a from of linux on an old world mac, Can anyone
    >> give me help?

    > Hi -
    >
    > (2nd post of this info this month . . . )
    >
    > Go here:
    >
    > http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...oftware_Update
    > s/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/
    >
    > Download these files:
    >
    > Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin 22-Feb-2002 13:38 1.3M
    > Network_Access_Disk_7.5.txt 22-Feb-2002 13:38 5k

    No good for the Mac he wants to boot. His Mac shipped with MacOS 7.5.5 +
    System Enabler 411 - any earlier OS boot disk will not work (He requires a
    boot disk from OS 7.6 to 9.1, no more - no less).

    > Find another mac or use X86 windows/linux HFS/.bin utilities + rawrite
    > to get the uncompressed boot image on a floppy. Now you can boot,
    > format, etc., and install system 7.5.3 (free from Apple).

    No he can't. His Mac, in order to run MacOS 7.5.x needs to be updated to
    7.5.5, and even then, requires the presense of System enabaler 411.
    However, Obtaining any install [or boot] disk from 7.6 through 9.1 will
    negate the need for enabler 411 [on his mac].

    > Mac-based details here:
    >
    > http://www.jagshouse.com/7.5boot.html

    Also of no use, that info does not go beyond 7.5.3 [this does not incude
    his Mac].

    > Windows-based details here (for Basilisk II, you don't need to install
    > it but you can use the MacOS install details from this how-to):
    >
    > http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman/bas...orial/index.ht
    > ml
    >
    > Same as above for X86 linux:
    >
    > http://www.kearney.net/~mhoffman/bas...orial/linux/in
    > dex.html
    >
    > Once you have a booting Mac, you can try installing Mandrake 9.1, but
    > their Old World Mac install processes and results are not worth the
    > trouble in my opinion and experience (I'd say, try YDL or Debian
    > instead).
    >
    > Good luck!

  5. Re: Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    Mike Dee wrote[ re: a power mac 6500/225]:

    >>Network_Access_Disk_7.5.sea.bin 22-Feb-2002 13:38 1.3M

    > No good for the Mac he wants to boot. His Mac shipped with MacOS 7.5.5 +
    > System Enabler 411 - any earlier OS boot disk will not work (He requires a
    > boot disk from OS 7.6 to 9.1, no more - no less).
    >
    > His Mac, in order to run MacOS 7.5.x needs to be updated to
    > 7.5.5, and even then, requires the presense of System enabaler 411.
    > However, Obtaining any install [or boot] disk from 7.6 through 9.1 will
    > negate the need for enabler 411 [on his mac].

    Hi:

    Sounds like Mr. Dee knows what he's talking about from direct personal
    experience, which trumps generic advice any day of the week.

    Perhaps someone with similar experience can comment on whether miBoot
    (the other possible alternative) works on this box ? Alex Holtz has
    done some remarkable things with this on nubus boxes (different beast,
    but a potential workaround approach/alternative to BootX+MacOS).

    D.

  6. Re: Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    "!David Stoltenberg" wrote in

    > Sounds like Mr. Dee knows what he's talking about from direct personal
    > experience, which trumps generic advice any day of the week.

    Not in the case of the 6500, I keep a copy of the Apple Spec database handy
    (a DL from Apple - FileMaker Pro based, but has a standalone engine for
    those without FM Pro] - it's dated but perfect for info on Macs earlier
    than B/W G3s, has a lot of handy facts as to what Mac will boot with what
    OS and OS enabler etc...

    > Perhaps someone with similar experience can comment on whether miBoot
    > (the other possible alternative) works on this box ? Alex Holtz has
    > done some remarkable things with this on nubus boxes (different beast,
    > but a potential workaround approach/alternative to BootX+MacOS).

    I found [recently] that an "old world" Mac [my beige G3] boots from Yaboot
    if I run Linux2000 [any version]. Yes, I did say Yaboot. No Mac OS present,
    really nice.

    Pity Linux2k is so ancient and no longer supported. I haven't found any
    other Linux PPC varient that can boot via Yaboot, since.

  7. Re: Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    In article , Mike Dee
    wrote:

    > "!David Stoltenberg" wrote in
    >
    > > Sounds like Mr. Dee knows what he's talking about from direct personal
    > > experience, which trumps generic advice any day of the week.

    > Not in the case of the 6500, I keep a copy of the Apple Spec database handy
    > (a DL from Apple - FileMaker Pro based, but has a standalone engine for
    > those without FM Pro] - it's dated but perfect for info on Macs earlier
    > than B/W G3s, has a lot of handy facts as to what Mac will boot with what
    > OS and OS enabler etc...
    >
    > > Perhaps someone with similar experience can comment on whether miBoot
    > > (the other possible alternative) works on this box ? Alex Holtz has
    > > done some remarkable things with this on nubus boxes (different beast,
    > > but a potential workaround approach/alternative to BootX+MacOS).

    > I found [recently] that an "old world" Mac [my beige G3] boots from Yaboot
    > if I run Linux2000 [any version]. Yes, I did say Yaboot. No Mac OS present,
    > really nice.
    >
    > Pity Linux2k is so ancient and no longer supported. I haven't found any
    > other Linux PPC varient that can boot via Yaboot, since.

    I agree, regarding Linux2000; it was my 1st dist and I still find more
    of it works than any other (meaning YDL and Debian).
    Shame it's growing grey.

    But then, you can' get a new Stradivarius either_

    Nikki

  8. Re: Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    Nikki wrote in

    >> I found [recently] that an "old world" Mac [my beige G3] boots from
    >> Yaboot if I run Linux2000 [any version]. Yes, I did say Yaboot. No
    >> Mac OS present, really nice.
    >>
    >> Pity Linux2k is so ancient and no longer supported. I haven't found
    >> any other Linux PPC varient that can boot via Yaboot, since.
    >>

    > I agree, regarding Linux2000; it was my 1st dist and I still find more
    > of it works than any other (meaning YDL and Debian).
    > Shame it's growing grey.
    >
    > But then, you can' get a new Stradivarius either_

    I'm more than a bit peeved, I only "discovered" Linux2k about 4 months ago.
    I find it behaves nicely all around and have located a great archive of
    software to run on it.

  9. Re: Oh damn, I deleted the OS.

    In article , Mike Dee
    wrote:

    > Nikki wrote in
    >
    > >> I found [recently] that an "old world" Mac [my beige G3] boots from
    > >> Yaboot if I run Linux2000 [any version]. Yes, I did say Yaboot. No
    > >> Mac OS present, really nice.
    > >>
    > >> Pity Linux2k is so ancient and no longer supported. I haven't found
    > >> any other Linux PPC varient that can boot via Yaboot, since.
    > >>

    > > I agree, regarding Linux2000; it was my 1st dist and I still find more
    > > of it works than any other (meaning YDL and Debian).
    > > Shame it's growing grey.
    > >
    > > But then, you can' get a new Stradivarius either_

    > I'm more than a bit peeved, I only "discovered" Linux2k about 4 months ago.
    > I find it behaves nicely all around and have located a great archive of
    > software to run on it.

    Hmm. quite a range of Xmas goodies, there. Thanks Mike.
    Perhaps it's possible to do a bit-by-bit update? (trial & error with
    notebook & pencil to hand!)
    I was (agreeably) surprised to find LinuxPPC2000 accepted my
    (post-2000) optical 3button USB mouse without question or any
    configuration, and in fact runs with it better than the MacOS (9.2.2).
    And there is a big archive of the distribution on ftp I bumped into
    somewhere unexpected (one of those US university sites; Washington, or
    Michigan??) I'll see if I can find it.

    Nikki

+ Reply to Thread