Some newbie questions after install of YDL3 on beige G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Some newbie questions after install of YDL3 on beige G3 - Powerpc ; Hi, Sucessfully installed YDK3.0 on my beige 300Mhz G3 A few questions that I hope someone can answer 1: speed, i was hoping it would be a bit slicker that it is.. i've got 196Mb of ram and the video ...

  1. Some newbie questions after install of YDL3 on beige G3

    Hi,

    Sucessfully installed YDK3.0 on my beige 300Mhz G3

    A few questions that I hope someone can answer

    1: speed, i was hoping it would be a bit slicker that it is.. i've got
    196Mb of ram and the video card is ATI Mach 64 3D Rage Pro 6Mb
    (as intergrate on the logic board)

    I'm running Gnome with YDL standard theme.

    Its does seem kinda slow... when launching apps, moving windows around
    the screen etc.. maybe I was expecting more... (my other machine is a
    G4 2x1Ghz with OSX10.3.1) so that may be why i find it a bit sluggish.

    Any suggestions on how to speed it up?

    2: Themes ... hmmm as nice as YDL theme is, i'd like to change it,
    downloaded some
    to try from freshmeat, they are all tar.gz but when i attempt to
    install any of them i get nothing?? i've tried 'panther-metacity',
    'panther-gtk' '18k-metal'

    none of them work, i'm sure they are correct for Gnome / GTK ?

    confused!

    3: Screen resolution, I can only get 1024x768, I know my monitor is
    capable of more and I'm sure the video card is also, i'd be happy to
    drop the bit depth if i could get a higher res, but that doesn't seem
    to help.

    4: connecting to my Mac, now i've turned on the appletalk process and
    i've also set up sharing from my mac via AFP and SMB, and i can see
    'workgroup' then the computer name, then i get a loging, i enter my
    login and pw then... nothing

    what am i doing wrong ... is there a better way to do this ?

    5: applications, other than fresh meat, whats a good place for YDL /
    ppc applications. As they need to be complied for PPC and i keep
    finding x86 Linux apps.

    Hope this all makes sense....

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Some newbie questions after install of YDL3 on beige G3

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:46:08 -0800, beenie wrote:

    > 1: speed, i was hoping it would be a bit slicker that it is.. i've got
    > 196Mb of ram and the video card is ATI Mach 64 3D Rage Pro 6Mb
    > (as intergrate on the logic board)

    I havent tried using my onboard ATI since LinuxPPC (before YDL) so
    I dont know what the state of ATI drivers is. Back when I tried them
    they were really twichy. I run a Voodoo3 in my G3.

    > I'm running Gnome with YDL standard theme.
    >
    > Its does seem kinda slow... when launching apps, moving windows around
    > the screen etc.. maybe I was expecting more... (my other machine is a
    > G4 2x1Ghz with OSX10.3.1) so that may be why i find it a bit sluggish.

    I also run Gnome, though I have 512Mb of ram. Its not the snappiest
    machine in the world, but I have noticed lately that it feels noticably
    quicker than when I boot it into OS9. Im sure your dual-Ghz G4 is going
    to be alot snappier than any Beige.

    > Any suggestions on how to speed it up?

    Like any system. Turn off any service you arent using.
    For example, I turn off Nautilus immediately. When I want
    to manage files and directories I use a command line.

    You want to try diff themes, but remember all those nice flashy
    graphics chew up clock cycles. For fast you want simple and clean.

    > 2: Themes ... hmmm as nice as YDL theme is, i'd like to change it,

    Ive not tried tinkering with themes in 3.0 so I cant help much there.

    > 3: Screen resolution, I can only get 1024x768, I know my monitor is
    > capable of more and I'm sure the video card is also, i'd be happy to
    > drop the bit depth if i could get a higher res, but that doesn't seem
    > to help.

    Sometimes setting screen resolutions can be a real pain.
    I dont know what you have for options on your onboard, but linux
    can easily be lied to and be forced to attempt resolutions that arent
    'offically' supported. Of course, this can also leave you staring at
    a black screen and finding a way to reboot blind into single user
    mode to fix it. I run 1280x1024x24 with my Voodoo3 but then its
    got 16Mb of ram.

    > 4: connecting to my Mac, now i've turned on the appletalk process and

    Sorry, no help here. Havent tried playing with Samba yet.
    And if I do, I dont have any other Macs to connect with via AppleTalk.
    My computer den is slowly migrating to an all linux outpost.

    > 5: applications, other than fresh meat, whats a good place for YDL / ppc
    > applications. As they need to be complied for PPC and i keep finding x86
    > Linux apps.

    The place for bleeding edge Mozilla/Firebird PPC compiles.....
    http://www.thecodefactory.org/mozilla/

    Latest PPC builds of many projects found on FreshMeat......
    ftp://rufus.w3.org/linux/freshrpms/yellowdog/3.0/

    RPMs for various linux builds. Searchable by platoform.
    http://rpmfind.net

    Otherwise I think you are looking at doing some building of your own.

    --
    My mailbox is NOT an advertisement medium. Tehrasha Darkon
    My address is NOT for sale, lease or rent. darkon@netins.net

  3. Re: Some newbie questions after install of YDL3 on beige G3

    a_temp_address@yahoo.co.uk (beenie) wrote in
    news:181d2311.0311150946.55d5824@posting.google.co m:

    > 3: Screen resolution, I can only get 1024x768, I know my monitor is
    > capable of more and I'm sure the video card is also, i'd be happy to
    > drop the bit depth if i could get a higher res, but that doesn't seem
    > to help.

    I have a beige G3 with 6MB VRAM and have found using this string in the
    "More kernal arguments" field of the Boot X Control panel, pretty much
    essential on this Mac:

    video=atyfb:vmode:20,cmode:15

    Which gives me a screen display of 1280 x 1024 + [thousands of colors] on a
    17" monitor. I've tried cmode:16 and cmode:24 for more colors but settled
    on cmode:15 as being the least problematical on my setup at that screen
    resolution, YMMV.

  4. Re: Some newbie questions after install of YDL3 on beige G3

    In article ,
    Mike Dee wrote:

    > a_temp_address@yahoo.co.uk (beenie) wrote in
    > news:181d2311.0311150946.55d5824@posting.google.co m:
    >
    > > 3: Screen resolution, I can only get 1024x768, I know my monitor is
    > > capable of more and I'm sure the video card is also, i'd be happy to
    > > drop the bit depth if i could get a higher res, but that doesn't seem
    > > to help.
    > >

    > I have a beige G3 with 6MB VRAM and have found using this string in the
    > "More kernal arguments" field of the Boot X Control panel, pretty much
    > essential on this Mac:
    >
    > video=atyfb:vmode:20,cmode:15
    >
    > Which gives me a screen display of 1280 x 1024 + [thousands of colors] on a
    > 17" monitor. I've tried cmode:16 and cmode:24 for more colors but settled
    > on cmode:15 as being the least problematical on my setup at that screen
    > resolution, YMMV.

    I use vmode:18,cmode:8 with a 20" Sun/Sony monitor to get 1152x870 (or
    thereabouts). A lot of numbers gave me an unreadable screen.

    Isaac

  5. Re: Some newbie questions after install of YDL3 on beige G3

    Isaac Wingfield wrote in

    > In article ,
    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >
    >> a_temp_address@yahoo.co.uk (beenie) wrote in
    >> news:181d2311.0311150946.55d5824@posting.google.co m:
    >>
    >> > 3: Screen resolution, I can only get 1024x768, I know my monitor is
    >> > capable of more and I'm sure the video card is also, i'd be happy
    >> > to drop the bit depth if i could get a higher res, but that doesn't
    >> > seem to help.
    >> >

    >> I have a beige G3 with 6MB VRAM and have found using this string in
    >> the "More kernal arguments" field of the Boot X Control panel, pretty
    >> much essential on this Mac:
    >>
    >> video=atyfb:vmode:20,cmode:15
    >>
    >> Which gives me a screen display of 1280 x 1024 + [thousands of
    >> colors] on a 17" monitor. I've tried cmode:16 and cmode:24 for more
    >> colors but settled on cmode:15 as being the least problematical on my
    >> setup at that screen resolution, YMMV.

    > I use vmode:18,cmode:8 with a 20" Sun/Sony monitor to get 1152x870 (or
    > thereabouts). A lot of numbers gave me an unreadable screen.

    Yes, that would give you 256 colors at that resolution, the setting for
    greater depth of color is *VRAM* dependant and 6 MB of VRAM on a stock
    beige G3 allows for a higher setting. Both the original postee and myself
    have this. But whatever setting you find works will depend on how much VRAM
    you have and your vid card etc.

+ Reply to Thread