New G4 Debian install problems - Powerpc

This is a discussion on New G4 Debian install problems - Powerpc ; Hi all I have a new G4 tower, 1.25GB with a74.5 GB drive (ST380011A), running 10.3.1. Naturally one of the first things I did was slice off some partitions for Debian. Boot from the CD worked fine, and I set ...

  1. New G4 Debian install problems

    Hi all

    I have a new G4 tower, 1.25GB with a74.5 GB drive (ST380011A), running
    10.3.1. Naturally one of the first things I did was slice off some
    partitions for Debian. Boot from the CD worked fine, and I set about
    to do an 'install2.4'. All went well until it was clear the installer
    could not see any hard disk at all, and was assuming a disk-less
    install...

    I tried the four variations of install, repartitioned and formatted
    them in as many ways as I could. Nothing.

    BTW I run Debian on an SE/30 (slink) and an OldWorld PPC (woody) so am
    not a Nubian. I'm assuming the cure might be some sort of boot-prompt,
    but maybe there's some (new) hardware issue.

    Any tips, please?

    Dieter

    [posting this to linux. debian.user also]

  2. Re: New G4 Debian install problems

    On 15/11/03 8:21 am, in article 151120031921520191%user@account.com,
    "Dietrich Winkler" wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I have a new G4 tower, 1.25GB with a74.5 GB drive (ST380011A), running
    > 10.3.1. Naturally one of the first things I did was slice off some
    > partitions for Debian. Boot from the CD worked fine, and I set about
    > to do an 'install2.4'. All went well until it was clear the installer
    > could not see any hard disk at all, and was assuming a disk-less
    > install...
    >
    > I tried the four variations of install, repartitioned and formatted
    > them in as many ways as I could. Nothing.
    >
    > BTW I run Debian on an SE/30 (slink) and an OldWorld PPC (woody) so am
    > not a Nubian. I'm assuming the cure might be some sort of boot-prompt,
    > but maybe there's some (new) hardware issue.
    >
    > Any tips, please?
    >
    > Dieter
    >
    > [posting this to linux. debian.user also]

    I think you may have to Switch the ATA bus from 100 to 66. I know the
    latest YDL 3 supports the ATA100 bus, but not sure if debian does. Its easy
    to do though, have a look here

    Hope this helps
    Colin

  3. Re: New G4 Debian install problems

    In article , Colin Ward
    wrote:

    > On 15/11/03 8:21 am, in article 151120031921520191%user@account.com,
    > "Dietrich Winkler" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I have a new G4 tower, 1.25GB with a74.5 GB drive (ST380011A), running
    > > 10.3.1. Naturally one of the first things I did was slice off some
    > > partitions for Debian. Boot from the CD worked fine, and I set about
    > > to do an 'install2.4'. All went well until it was clear the installer
    > > could not see any hard disk at all, and was assuming a disk-less
    > > install...
    > >
    > > I tried the four variations of install, repartitioned and formatted
    > > them in as many ways as I could. Nothing.
    > >
    > > BTW I run Debian on an SE/30 (slink) and an OldWorld PPC (woody) so am
    > > not a Nubian. I'm assuming the cure might be some sort of boot-prompt,
    > > but maybe there's some (new) hardware issue.
    > >
    > > Any tips, please?
    > >
    > > Dieter
    > >
    > > [posting this to linux. debian.user also]

    > I think you may have to Switch the ATA bus from 100 to 66. I know the
    > latest YDL 3 supports the ATA100 bus, but not sure if debian does. Its easy
    > to do though, have a look here
    >
    > Hope this helps
    > Colin

    Thanks Colin, that looks like one hell of a serious solution - I shall
    read it carefully before warming up my blowtorch!

    Thanks for the tip.

    Dieter

+ Reply to Thread