installing new packages from CD? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on installing new packages from CD? - Powerpc ; Do I use yum to try and install packages from the 3-CD YD 3.0.1 install set? I would love to get back to the graphical installer and adjust my packages (I found I didn't install python or apache by default ...

  1. installing new packages from CD?

    Do I use yum to try and install packages from the 3-CD YD 3.0.1 install
    set?

    I would love to get back to the graphical installer and adjust my
    packages (I found I didn't install python or apache by default and would
    like to add them as seamlessly as possible).

    It's pretty trivial for me to add apache (due to the powerpc binaries available
    on the apache mirrors) but it seems like I would have to compile stuff (which
    I'm resisting a bit) in order to install python. So I'm betting the install
    disks had the option - I'd like webmin too but I bet that'll take a compile.

    Pointers most welcome.

    thanks y'all,
    Stefan

  2. Re: installing new packages from CD?

    stefan isaacs wrote:
    > Do I use yum to try and install packages from the 3-CD YD 3.0.1 install
    > set?
    >
    > I would love to get back to the graphical installer and adjust my
    > packages (I found I didn't install python or apache by default and would
    > like to add them as seamlessly as possible).
    >
    > Pointers most welcome.

    Hi:

    Use apt-get and never look back. Not graphic, but hard to beat

    > su

    % apt-get update
    % apt-get install apache
    % apt-get install python

    (You can chain these with &&, etc. if you prefer.)

    The occasional apt-get upgrade will keep you up to date.

    D.

  3. Re: installing new packages from CD?

    !David Stoltenberg wrote:
    : stefan isaacs wrote:
    :> Do I use yum to try and install packages from the 3-CD YD 3.0.1 install
    :> set?
    :>
    :> I would love to get back to the graphical installer and adjust my
    :> packages (I found I didn't install python or apache by default and would
    :> like to add them as seamlessly as possible).
    :>
    :> Pointers most welcome.

    : Hi:

    : Use apt-get and never look back. Not graphic, but hard to beat

    : > su

    : % apt-get update
    : % apt-get install apache
    : % apt-get install python

    : (You can chain these with &&, etc. if you prefer.)

    I have the same problem with YDL 3.0. I could not find a way to
    add more packages short of reinstalling the system. yum would not
    work with CDs and apt-get says that the distribution CDs are not
    apt enabled. In fact, they do not have the apt directory with hashfile
    and pkglist in subdirectories. Such a directory was still present in
    YDL 2.3.

    Could you please explain how do you use apt-get in such a situation?

    Best - Andrzej

  4. Re: installing new packages from CD?

    "!David Stoltenberg" wrote in message
    > stefan isaacs wrote:
    > > Do I use yum to try and install packages from the 3-CD YD 3.0.1 install
    > > set?
    > >
    > > I would love to get back to the graphical installer and adjust my
    > > packages (I found I didn't install python or apache by default and would
    > > like to add them as seamlessly as possible).
    > >
    > > Pointers most welcome.

    > Hi:
    >
    > Use apt-get and never look back. Not graphic, but hard to beat
    >
    > > su

    > % apt-get update
    > % apt-get install apache
    > % apt-get install python
    >
    > (You can chain these with &&, etc. if you prefer.)
    >
    > The occasional apt-get upgrade will keep you up to date.
    >
    > D.

    Hi David,
    When I tried "apt-get install apache", it showed that a dependent package
    "libexpat1 1.95.2-6" should be installed first. But I couldn't find this
    package of powerMac version.
    What can I do? Or I should install another web service this time?

    Justin

  5. Re: installing new packages from CD?

    kotanski@if.uj.edu.pl wrote:

    > I have the same problem with YDL 3.0. I could not find a way to
    > add more packages short of reinstalling the system. yum would not
    > work with CDs and apt-get says that the distribution CDs are not
    > apt enabled. In fact, they do not have the apt directory with hashfile
    > and pkglist in subdirectories. Such a directory was still present in
    > YDL 2.3.
    >
    > Could you please explain how do you use apt-get in such a situation?

    I believe you are correct about file:/// based apt not being available
    for YDL 3. My guess is that the fact that YDL 3 spans 3 cds makes the
    single-CD approach used in YDL 2.x file:/// apt impractical.

    That said, keeping current via http or ftp based updates is a breeze -
    even on a 56k modem (in my direct and personal experience). By
    definition, 3.X updates are not going to be available from a 3.X CD, so
    you need to get them from a network source. apt-get is only
    intereactive for a minute or two, after which it will run happily for
    hours in unattended mode. Fire it up for while-sleeping or
    at-work/school updates and you won't even notice it.

    If you absolutely *need* to have a post-install CD-based package
    manager, Mandrake's is OK, but their PPC distro isn't so solid,
    especially on Old World boxes.

    If your real issue is the broken apt conf file in the 3.x CD is making
    your apt unusable, just download the 3.x apt update rpm and install it,
    after which all should be good.

    If this doesn't answer your questions, reply to the group with a follow-up.

    HTH,

    D.

+ Reply to Thread