best framebuffer for YD 3.0.1 on 604e? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on best framebuffer for YD 3.0.1 on 604e? - Powerpc ; Does anyone have an idea of how I can obtain a better (faster) fb than fbdev on the 604e? I get the impression from reading posts in this group that it is pretty dog slow (having been more designed for ...

  1. best framebuffer for YD 3.0.1 on 604e?

    Does anyone have an idea of how I can obtain a better (faster) fb
    than fbdev on the 604e?

    I get the impression from reading posts in this group that it is pretty
    dog slow (having been more designed for optimal performance with the G3/G4).

    So has someone built one more aimed at the limited hp of the 604e?

    I'm willing to compile if I absolutely have to (haven't done that in years
    so there is somewhat of a learning curve I would rather avoid).

    I have the XLR8 604e/180 card in a PowerCurve 601/120 with the stock 4Mb VRAM,
    SCSI 4 gig drive, and 104mb RAM.

    thanks,
    S.

  2. Re: best framebuffer for YD 3.0.1 on 604e?

    stefan isaacs wrote:
    > Does anyone have an idea of how I can obtain a better (faster) fb
    > than fbdev on the 604e?

    Hi:

    If fbdev has a decent clue as to what your card's make and model is and
    can figure out an applicable on-hand driver module with acceleration for
    the card . . . then fbdev will turn over non-console video (XFree86, the
    "startx" display) to that driver when you type "startx" or equivalent
    and you'll have a much better (faster) video experience.

    It's the figuring out and turning over bit that's key, not the fbdev per
    se, that matters most. The only compiling you might have to do would be
    the accelerated video driver for your card if that driver isn't included
    by default in your distro (like IMSTT drivers - they *were* in YDL 1.x
    and 2.x, got dropped in 3.x, so I had to compile it or copy it from an
    earlier disto).

    So step 1 in the process of getting video acceleration is to do one of
    the following -

    (MacOS side - OS 8/9) Click "Apple System Profiler", typically in the
    Apple Menu. Select the "Devices and Volumes" tab, and then look down
    toward the bottom (PCI) section. You'll see "Slot B1 Display Card" or
    somesuch, with a clickable triangle underneath it. Click the triangle
    to expand the info and you'll see something like the following:

    PCI
    Slot B1
    Display card
    Card type: display
    Card name: IMS,tt128mb8
    Card model: tt128m
    Card ROM #: Not available
    Card revision: 1
    Card vendor ID: 10E0
    Display
    Screen Size (pixels): 1360 x 1024
    Grays/Colors: Millions
    Resolution (dpi): 72 x 72

    - OR -

    (Linux side) => dmesg | grep "MacOS display"

    You should see something like "MacOS display is /bandit/IMS,tt128mb8"
    (insert your card name here)."

    One more grep => dmesg | grep "PCI"

    "Found Bandit PCI host bridge at 0xf2000000. Firmware bus number: 0->1"

    Let the group know what the exact (card name|"display") info is for your
    video card - then we can try to help you with the next step of cueing
    fbdev to hand off to an accelerated video display of it.

    D.

  3. Re: best framebuffer for YD 3.0.1 on 604e?

    "!David Stoltenberg" wrote in message news:<3FB24883.8040207@d31337m3.mindspring.com>...
    > stefan isaacs wrote:
    > > Does anyone have an idea of how I can obtain a better (faster) fb
    > > than fbdev on the 604e?
    > >

    > Hi:
    >
    > If fbdev has a decent clue as to what your card's make and model is and
    > can figure out an applicable on-hand driver module with acceleration for
    > the card . . . then fbdev will turn over non-console video (XFree86, the
    > "startx" display) to that driver when you type "startx" or equivalent
    > and you'll have a much better (faster) video experience.

    Aha.. that's useful to know.

    > It's the figuring out and turning over bit that's key..
    >
    > So step 1 in the process of getting video acceleration is to do one of
    > the following -
    >
    > (MacOS side - OS 8/9) Click "Apple System Profiler", typically in the
    > Apple Menu. Select the "Devices and Volumes" tab, and then look down
    > toward the bottom (PCI) section. You'll see "Slot B1 Display Card" or
    > somesuch, with a clickable triangle underneath it. Click the triangle
    > to expand the info and you'll see something like...

    This is what I got as output:

    Display card
    Card type: display
    Card name: not available
    Card model: AAPL, 343S1184
    Card ROM #: not available
    Card revision: not available
    Card vendor ID: -1
    Card VRAM size: 65.68 Mb
    As you can see, there is no real detail available here (unless we
    have some access to Apple HW docs that describe the implementation).

    > (Linux side) => dmesg | grep "MacOS display"
    >
    > You should see something like "MacOS display is /bandit/IMS,tt128mb8"
    > (insert your card name here)."

    I got (surprise!) "MacOS display is /platinum". !!

    > One more grep => dmesg | grep "PCI"
    >
    > "Found Bandit PCI host bridge at 0xf2000000. Firmware bus number: 0->1"

    This returned:

    "Found Bandit PCI host bridge at 0xf2000000. Firmware bus number: 0->0"

    > Let the group know what the exact (card name|"display") info is for your
    > video card - then we can try to help you with the next step of cueing
    > fbdev to hand off to an accelerated video display of it.

    So perhaps I should try the platinum fb again in the kernel arguments when
    I boot her up?

    Also, I found that I had the MacOS side set to 832x624x32 (by mistake). I
    have since reset it to 1024x768x32 - I presume that I can use XF86Config
    or some such to generate a new config file that may have better resolution
    choices? I think you mentioned (or someone else did) that the install process
    got it's initial data from the MacOS side?

    thanks for the help. Very useful info..

    cheers,
    Stefan

    nb. off to try the platinumfb drivers again..

  4. Re: best framebuffer for YD 3.0.1 on 604e?

    stefan isaacs wrote:

    > So perhaps I should try the platinum fb again in the kernel arguments when
    > I boot her up?

    In my experience, the kernel arguments only affect -

    1) how much vram is recognized by the OS as available for both console
    video and XFree86 video, and

    2) the resolution(s)/drivers for console video.

    One of the offshoots of this is if the kernel doesn't recognize/support
    your video card, but XFree86 does [= is the case for my box, might be
    the case for you] you need to tell BootX to use ofonly (either check the
    'No video driver' box or specify video=ofonly as an arg) . . . and then
    rely on XFree86 to call the applicable driver. Sometimes you have to be
    pretty explicit in the XF86Config file to get reliability established.

    In my case, I need to set the resolution I want to define for linux on
    the MacOS side, boot with video=ofonly, and then from the command line,
    get a failsafe XF86Config file going via the video config utility
    invoked from the console command line as root.

    In YDL 3 (Sirius), it's > /usr/share/redhat-config-xfree86/xconf.py; the
    redhat-stuff in /usr/share seems to drive most of the config functions
    and most of them seem to work even in non-gnome/kde windowmanagers or
    console command line environments. So I use xconf.py to generate a
    failsafe XF86Config and then tweak it to explicitly define the BusID
    where my vid card lives, and making sure there's a [drivername].o for
    fbdev to detect and hand off to in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/video/.

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Videocard0"
    VendorName "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName "Generic OF compatible"
    Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
    Driver "fbdev"
    BusID "0:14:0"
    EndSection

    For you, this shouldn't be an issue, since IIRC video=platinumfb works
    and is supported in YDL 3 (sigh, must be nice), but if it isn't and your
    screen turns black after a couple dozen lines of activity info at boot,
    you should probably do video=ofonly, get the BusID out of dmesg, and
    rely on a failsafe XF86Config plus fbdev combo to hand off to
    /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/video/platinum.o (I think that's the
    path, I'm not in linux at the moment).

    > nb. off to try the platinumfb drivers again..

    Good luck !

    D.

+ Reply to Thread