Newbie problems installing Debian on ibook G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Newbie problems installing Debian on ibook G3 - Powerpc ; Hi all! I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a Power PC G3 300 MHz (IBook) with 64 MB RAM, which I saw for the first time in my life a couple of days ago! :-) Following information found on ...

  1. Newbie problems installing Debian on ibook G3

    Hi all!

    I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a Power PC G3 300 MHz (IBook)
    with 64 MB RAM, which I saw for the first time in my life a couple of
    days ago! :-)
    Following information found on the web I repartitioned the HD (3
    GB only) and created 2 HFS and 1 HFS+ partitions : on the latter I
    succeded in installing a minimum MAC OS X 10.3 (despite an initial
    warning about the un-installability of 'Essentials' for lack of RAM),
    reserving the former for Debian and an Exchange partition between the
    two OSs.
    From the many readings about the subject I got the idea that:

    1. It was not necessary to have an ext2 fs on the HD, as this would be
    created at boot time.
    2. The only files needed for the task were: linux.bin, root.bin, yaboot
    and yaboot.conf (all of them to be copied into the holding-place-HFS
    partition, in my case 'Debian' on partition 'hd:2' or 'rdisk0s2').

    OK! After some initial troubles with OF and the same yaboot (the one
    from the Debian site didn't work and I downloaded from penguinppc,
    untarring in a Mac-Os X unix-terminal and copied it from the untarred
    destination to the 'root' location, i.e. '/Volumes/Debian/' ) I finally
    got the yaboot 'boot' prompt.
    However, this starts with the warning:
    --------
    [device description]:2,yaboot.conf: Unknown or corrupt filesystem
    Can't open config file
    Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.10
    WARNING: Bootstrap partition type is wrong: "Apple_HFS"
    type should be: "Apple_Bootstrap"
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    boot:
    --------

    Now, my basic question is:
    - Did I misunderstand all the documents claiming you do not need to have a
    linux partition beforehand (# 1)?
    Another, of course, follows:
    - How can I make a linux partition using Mac Os X? (I've read about
    mac-fdisk but not found a .tar.gz for it!).

    Any suggestion will be highly appreciated :-)
    Regards,
    Ennio-Sr

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)

  2. Re: Newbie problems installing Debian on ibook G3

    * Ennio-(Sr) [Mon, 10 Nov 2003 at 22:47 GMT]:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a Power PC G3 300 MHz (IBook)
    > [cut]
    > Another, of course, follows:
    > - How can I make a linux partition using Mac Os X? (I've read about
    > mac-fdisk but not found a .tar.gz for it!).

    I found and untarred mac-fdisk.tar.gz but when I try to use it (from
    within the Unix-Terminal of Mac-OsX), it says 'cannot execute a binary
    file'! :-(
    Also renamed yaboot.conf.txt taking out the '.txt' extension, to no
    avail :-(((

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)
    Ennio. (Please change . for .dot. and @ for .at. in my Reply-To) )=(

  3. Re: Newbie problems installing Debian on ibook G3

    Ennio,

    Ennio-(Sr) wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a Power PC G3 300 MHz (IBook) with 64
    > MB RAM, which I saw for the first time in my life a couple of days ago! :-)
    > Following information found on the web I repartitioned the HD (3 GB only)
    > and created 2 HFS and 1 HFS+ partitions : on the latter I succeded in
    > installing a minimum MAC OS X 10.3 (despite an initial warning about the
    > un-installability of 'Essentials' for lack of RAM), reserving the former for
    > Debian and an Exchange partition between the two OSs. From the many readings
    > about the subject I got the idea that:
    >
    > 1. It was not necessary to have an ext2 fs on the HD, as this would be
    > created at boot time. 2. The only files needed for the task were: linux.bin,
    > root.bin, yaboot and yaboot.conf (all of them to be copied into the
    > holding-place-HFS partition, in my case 'Debian' on partition 'hd:2' or
    > 'rdisk0s2').
    >
    > OK! After some initial troubles with OF and the same yaboot (the one from the
    > Debian site didn't work and I downloaded from penguinppc, untarring in a
    > Mac-Os X unix-terminal and copied it from the untarred destination to the
    > 'root' location, i.e. '/Volumes/Debian/' ) I finally got the yaboot 'boot'
    > prompt. However, this starts with the warning: -------- [device
    > description]:2,yaboot.conf: Unknown or corrupt filesystem Can't open config
    > file Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.10 ..... WARNING: Bootstrap partition type
    > is wrong: "Apple_HFS" type should be: "Apple_Bootstrap"
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ boot:

    I'm amazed it got this far. I don't think you got beyond the boot prompt, did
    you? Looks to me like you need a linux kernel as well. My mac-fdisk output has:

    /dev/hda
    # type name length base ( size
    ) system
    /dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1 (
    31.5k) Partition map
    /dev/hda2 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh 56 @ 64 (
    28.0k) Driver 4.3
    /dev/hda3 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh 56 @ 120 (
    28.0k) Driver 4.3
    /dev/hda4 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh 56 @ 176 (
    28.0k) Unknown
    /dev/hda5 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh 56 @ 232 (
    28.0k) Unknown
    /dev/hda6 Apple_FWDriver Macintosh 512 @ 288
    (256.0k) Unknown
    /dev/hda7 Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh 512 @ 800
    (256.0k) Unknown
    /dev/hda8 Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 1312
    (256.0k) Unknown
    /dev/hda9 Apple_HFS Untitled 18874368 @ 1824 (
    9.0G) HFS
    /dev/hda10 Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap 1600 @ 18876192
    (800.0k) NewWorld bootblock
    /dev/hda11 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 / 10485760 @ 18877792 (
    5.0G) Linux native
    /dev/hda12 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /usr 16777216 @ 29363552 (
    8.0G) Linux native
    /dev/hda13 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /home 16777216 @ 46140768 (
    8.0G) Linux native
    /dev/hda14 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Share 12902400 @ 62917984 (
    6.2G) Linux native
    /dev/hda15 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 2097152 @ 75820384 (
    1.0G) Linux swap
    /dev/hda16 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 free 222624 @ 77917536
    (108.7M) Linux native

    Block size=512, Number of Blocks=78140160
    DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
    Drivers-
    1: @ 64 for 23, type=0x1
    2: @ 120 for 36, type=0xffff
    3: @ 176 for 21, type=0x701
    4: @ 232 for 34, type=0xf8ff

    Partition 1 through 10 are for MAC, 11 through 16 are Linux. Partition 10 holds
    the yaboot boot loader, but I don't know how to mount that (mount gives errors
    when I try).

    > --------
    >
    > Now, my basic question is: - Did I misunderstand all the documents claiming
    > you do not need to have a linux partition beforehand (# 1)?

    These documents asume you install from CD, floppy or over the network. I've
    never seen anybody try it like you are trying (but I can be out of date).

    > Another, of course, follows: - How can I make a linux partition using Mac Os
    > X? (I've read about mac-fdisk but not found a .tar.gz for it!).

    mac-fdisk is run from inside the Debian installer. You don't have an
    installation program yet, only the boot loader...

    > Any suggestion will be highly appreciated :-)

    I would recommend downloading a mini-ISO, burn that to CD and boot from it.

    Martin

    > Regards, Ennio-Sr

  4. Re: Newbie problems installing Debian on ibook G3

    * Errandir [Tue, 11 Nov 2003 at 01:24 GMT]:
    > Ennio,
    >
    > Ennio-(Sr) wrote:

    [cut]
    > > is wrong: "Apple_HFS" type should be: "Apple_Bootstrap"
    > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ boot:

    > I'm amazed it got this far. I don't think you got beyond the boot prompt, did
    > you? Looks to me like you need a linux kernel as well. My mac-fdisk output has:
    > [cut]
    > >
    > > Any suggestion will be highly appreciated :-)

    > I would recommend downloading a mini-ISO, burn that to CD and boot from it.
    >
    > Martin

    Thanks for your attention, Martin.
    Luckily enough, in the meantime I discovered that the lock was caused by
    that tiny .txt extension! I don't know why it happended (I could swear I
    had cut off it being in Mac-OsX) but when I went to check from the
    Unix-Terminal, I saw the extension was still there; so, I renamed the
    file to yaboot.conf, went again through the usual routine et ... voila,
    the Penguin was there :-))))))

    Right now it is being configure through the network (the IBook is
    connected to this PC where I'm writing from).

    Thanks again.
    Ennio-Sr

    --
    [Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo. \\?//
    Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!" (diceva Henry Miller) ] (|)
    Ennio. (Please change . for .dot. and @ for .at. in my Reply-To) )=(

+ Reply to Thread