how do I turn of X Window Server startup at kernel options? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on how do I turn of X Window Server startup at kernel options? - Powerpc ; Ok.. my X Windows starts up now illegibly (compressed window space, b&w and therefore unreadable). I cannot kill it with the keyboard sequence 'cause it relaunches almost instantly. Other than trying to login via ssh or some such, how can ...

  1. how do I turn of X Window Server startup at kernel options?

    Ok.. my X Windows starts up now illegibly (compressed window space,
    b&w and therefore unreadable). I cannot kill it with the keyboard
    sequence 'cause it relaunches almost instantly.

    Other than trying to login via ssh or some such, how can I prevent the
    startup of the X windows server using a kernel command line option
    (as I pass video arguments)?

    I have a PowerCurve 601/120 upgraded with an XLR8 604e/180, with 104mb
    RAM, 4g HD, running Yellow Dog 3.0.1.

    Also, anyone know what the proper framebuffer is for this beastie? offb
    comes closest to working, but even that is bascially illegible.

    I've almost determined that I'll have to use this as a server class machine
    'cause the windowing system is simply unusable.

    many thanks,
    Stefan

  2. Re: how do I turn of X Window Server startup at kernel options?

    Well, I don't know about a kernel setting, but IF you can log in only
    once with SSH or some such, you could remove the xdm startup script from
    the boot process. Since you're using YellowDog, I don't know exactly
    how, but if nothing works, you could move /etc/init.d/xdm to a different
    place (note: this script might also be named gdm or kdm, depending on
    your login manager of choice). When the system doesn't find the script,
    it'll cry havoc and give you a console to fix this. From then on, you
    can experiment on the X Server by using startx.

    Andreas Steffen

  3. Re: how do I turn of X Window Server startup at kernel options?

    stefan isaacs wrote:

    > Ok.. my X Windows starts up now illegibly (compressed window space,
    > b&w and therefore unreadable). I cannot kill it with the keyboard
    > sequence 'cause it relaunches almost instantly.

    Been there!

    > Other than trying to login via ssh or some such, how can I prevent the
    > startup of the X windows server using a kernel command line option
    > (as I pass video arguments)?

    Boot it into single user, by passing the word "single" to the kernel
    (but don't include the quotes).

    For example:
    This is an oldworld machine? You're booting with BootX? On the BootX
    panel, there is a box for kernel arguments. Just put the word "single"
    somewhere in there (again, no quotes).

    Once to a root prompt, edit the initdefault entry in /etc/inittab
    to be 3, not 5 . Also, you might want to edit the 5 entry (at or near
    the bottom) not to respawn xdm. I think you change it to "once" .

    Make a backup copy of inittab before you start fiddling with it!

    Then reboot, and xdm should leave you alone.

    > I have a PowerCurve 601/120 upgraded with an XLR8 604e/180, with 104mb
    > RAM, 4g HD, running Yellow Dog 3.0.1.
    >
    > Also, anyone know what the proper framebuffer is for this beastie? offb
    > comes closest to working, but even that is bascially illegible.
    >
    > I've almost determined that I'll have to use this as a server class machine
    > 'cause the windowing system is simply unusable.

    What kind of framebuffer do you have? If you have an IMS Twin Turbo, email
    me. YD doesn't come with a driver specific for the TT . I have one that I
    compiled myself that works, and an XF86Config to go with it.

    --
    Griff Miller II | |
    Manager of Information Technology | If Barbie is so popular, then why do you |

  4. Re: how do I turn of X Window Server startup at kernel options?

    Griff Miller wrote in message news:<3FAFE77D.34086AA4@positron.com>...
    > stefan isaacs wrote:

    > > Other than trying to login via ssh or some such, how can I prevent the
    > > startup of the X windows server using a kernel command line option
    > > (as I pass video arguments)?

    > Boot it into single user, by passing the word "single" to the kernel
    > (but don't include the quotes).

    Thanks.. I figured there had to be something like that but I couldn't find
    ANY documentation on kernel arguments on the YD site. Cr*p site, but seems
    like a good product.

    > For example:
    > This is an oldworld machine? You're booting with BootX? On the BootX
    > panel, there is a box for kernel arguments. Just put the word "single"
    > somewhere in there (again, no quotes).

    Sorry, oldworld machine. Booting with Bootx.

    > > Also, anyone know what the proper framebuffer is for this beastie? offb
    > > comes closest to working, but even that is bascially illegible.
    > >
    > > I've almost determined that I'll have to use this as a server class machine
    > > 'cause the windowing system is simply unusable.

    > What kind of framebuffer do you have? If you have an IMS Twin Turbo, email
    > me. YD doesn't come with a driver specific for the TT . I have one that I
    > compiled myself that works, and an XF86Config to go with it.

    I ended up getting it to boot late last night using the fbdev framebuffer,
    booting at 832x624, millions of colors. Of course, it should go to a much
    higher resolution but I don't know if I have the patience to continue the
    trial and error method.

    For some odd reason, the probe only discovers 2Mb of my 4Mb VRAM. I read
    somewhere that this might be a problem with the 2.4 kernel build.

    Anyone know? And thanks for the suggestions!

    cheers,
    S.

+ Reply to Thread