YDL on iMac DV - Powerpc

This is a discussion on YDL on iMac DV - Powerpc ; Howdy, has anyone here had any success with Yellowdog Linux on an iMac DV? Any comments or tips would be appreciated. -- GR Gaudreau...

  1. YDL on iMac DV

    --
    GR Gaudreau

  2. Re: YDL on iMac DV

    In article , GRGAUD
    wrote:

    > Howdy,
    > has anyone here had any success with Yellowdog Linux on an iMac DV? Any
    > comments or tips would be appreciated.

    I just finished installing Yellowdog on a 266 MHZ iMac. I did multiple
    attempts with the autopartition selection, successful one time out of
    maybe 20 (and then I decided to try a different setup and couldn't
    replicate it). No error messages, just would freeze at :

    Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.10
    Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
    boot: linux
    Please wait, loading kernel...

    I'm a total newbie with Linux if you haven't figured it out yet. :-)

    Finally ended up doing it using Disk Druid for formatting the linux
    partitions. I was successful getting OS X 10.3, OS 9.2, and Linux
    operational, which was a little tricky because on that model iMac, OS X
    says it wants the whole partition in the 1st 8 GB of the hard drive, YD
    Linux says it has to be the first partition, and OS 9.2 was finicky
    unless it was at least near or partially in the first 8 GB. After
    upgrading MacOS 9.2.1 to 9.2.2, it won't boot at startup any more, but
    it does still run in MOL and as Classic on OS X.

    I ended up putting the root partition / in the first couple GB of the
    HD followed by OS X, then OS 9, then a linux /opt partition, then
    another Mac storage partition. Just finished it about 12 hrs ago, but
    it seems to be working OK so far.

    If you are interested in any more details of what it took to configure
    it, let me know.

    Hobenaro

    hobenaro@columbus.rr.com

+ Reply to Thread