German keyboard under XFree86 on iBook2 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on German keyboard under XFree86 on iBook2 - Powerpc ; Hello there! I've got myself a used iBook2, and promptly installed Gentoo Linux onto it. Now I've hit a little speedbump (as if compiling X from source wasn't enough of one), namely the apparent absence of keys for "|" and ...

  1. German keyboard under XFree86 on iBook2

    Hello there!
    I've got myself a used iBook2, and promptly installed Gentoo Linux onto
    it. Now I've hit a little speedbump (as if compiling X from source
    wasn't enough of one), namely the apparent absence of keys for "|" and
    "~", two characters which are very annoying not to have. Does anybody
    know what the right settings for a german keyboard map with those
    characters on it are?

    Thanks in advance!
    Andreas Steffen

  2. Re: German keyboard under XFree86 on iBook2

    > I've got myself a used iBook2, and promptly installed Gentoo Linux onto
    > it. Now I've hit a little speedbump (as if compiling X from source
    > wasn't enough of one), namely the apparent absence of keys for "|" and
    > "~", two characters which are very annoying not to have. Does anybody
    > know what the right settings for a german keyboard map with those
    > characters on it are?

    Common problem :/, a real german KB layout doesn't seem to exist.

    On my iBook2 (with Debian, isn't gentoo a PITA on there? *flame* ;-) I
    just source my ~/.Xmodmap[1] when I login via .xsession. Kind of a hack,
    but it works...

    The other way would be to modify the layout yourself, see

    for a detailed description.

    HTH

    -Thomas

    [1]
    ~/.Xmodmap:

    ! compose key is shift+apple, i.e. compose,e,' =
    keycode 115 = Mode_switch Multi_key
    ! a second Enter?? pfff
    keycode 108 = Delete

    keycode 46 = l L at