How to get linux OFF an imac - Powerpc

This is a discussion on How to get linux OFF an imac - Powerpc ; Hi All: I am working in a school and someone managed to get Linux installed on an imac. While this is pretty cool, it's not very useful for the people at the school. How can I reinstall the MAC OS? ...

  1. How to get linux OFF an imac

    Hi All:

    I am working in a school and someone managed to get Linux installed on
    an imac. While this is pretty cool, it's not very useful for the
    people at the school. How can I reinstall the MAC OS?

    I've tried booting to the MAC OS CD by holding the c key down, but it
    doesn't seem to work.

    Thanks for any assistance.

    Myriam
    myr@socrates.berkeley.edu

  2. Re: How to get linux OFF an imac

  3. Re: How to get linux OFF an imac

    In article <9a6d89aa.0310301317.458ccb03@posting.google.com>,
    myr@csm.berkeley.edu (Myriam) writes:

    > I am working in a school and someone managed to get Linux installed on
    > an imac. While this is pretty cool, it's not very useful for the
    > people at the school. How can I reinstall the MAC OS?
    >
    > I've tried booting to the MAC OS CD by holding the c key down, but it
    > doesn't seem to work.

    Precisely what isn't working? Is the Mac OS install CD not booting when
    you hold down the C key? Is it booting but refusing to install? Something
    else?

    On my iMac, which multiboots Mac OS 8.6, Mac OS X, and Linux, holding down
    the C key works, so I'm not sure what the solution would be if that's not
    working. (If this is the case, presumably the Mac is booting in some way
    other than what I'm using, and I don't know how you'd work around it, at
    least not easily.)

    If the Mac OS install CD is booting but is refusing to do anything, you
    could try booting Linux and using its fdisk or pdisk to wipe out all the
    disk's partitions. (Different distributions call this program different
    things.) When you reboot, the Mac OS installer should then see a
    completely blank disk and be able to work. The danger is that if it
    DOESN'T then work, you'd no longer be able to boot Linux and use the
    Linux native tools to help.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  4. Re: How to get linux OFF an imac

    in article ju1unb-qre.ln@speaker.rodsbooks.com, Rod Smith at
    rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com wrote on 10/31/03 11:17 AM:

    > In article <9a6d89aa.0310301317.458ccb03@posting.google.com>,
    > myr@csm.berkeley.edu (Myriam) writes:
    >>
    >> I am working in a school and someone managed to get Linux installed on
    >> an imac. While this is pretty cool, it's not very useful for the
    >> people at the school. How can I reinstall the MAC OS?
    >>
    >> I've tried booting to the MAC OS CD by holding the c key down, but it
    >> doesn't seem to work.

    > Precisely what isn't working? Is the Mac OS install CD not booting when
    > you hold down the C key? Is it booting but refusing to install? Something
    > else?
    >
    > On my iMac, which multiboots Mac OS 8.6, Mac OS X, and Linux, holding down
    > the C key works, so I'm not sure what the solution would be if that's not
    > working. (If this is the case, presumably the Mac is booting in some way
    > other than what I'm using, and I don't know how you'd work around it, at
    > least not easily.)
    >
    > If the Mac OS install CD is booting but is refusing to do anything, you
    > could try booting Linux and using its fdisk or pdisk to wipe out all the
    > disk's partitions. (Different distributions call this program different
    > things.) When you reboot, the Mac OS installer should then see a
    > completely blank disk and be able to work. The danger is that if it
    > DOESN'T then work, you'd no longer be able to boot Linux and use the
    > Linux native tools to help.

    I never had a problem with not being able to boot holding the C key down,
    but something else you can do is hold the option key down and you will get
    like a start up program that you will be able to boot from what ever partion
    you want.

    Thx Silas

  5. Re: How to get linux OFF an imac

    Silas wrote:

    > I never had a problem with not being able to boot holding the C key down,
    > but something else you can do is hold the option key down and you will get
    > like a start up program that you will be able to boot from what ever partion
    > you want.

    I have, when the only CD device is not an Apple-branded drive, but I doubt this is
    the case with an iMac.

    I bet the OpenFirmware needs to be reset.

    --
    Griff Miller II | Why, I think I've got the hang of it now! |
    Manager of Information Technology | :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X exit :quitbye :!QUIT! |

+ Reply to Thread