Graphic openfirmware hangs - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Graphic openfirmware hangs - Powerpc ; I have an ibook, MacOS and Debian on hard disk. MacOS starts by default (heh, the ibook is not mine!), I usually start Debian by pressing Alt during chime and choosing in the graphic openfirmware the linux partition. The problem ...

  1. Graphic openfirmware hangs

    I have an ibook, MacOS and Debian on hard disk. MacOS starts by default
    (heh, the ibook is not mine!), I usually start Debian by pressing Alt
    during chime and choosing in the graphic openfirmware the linux partition.

    The problem now is, I cannot choose anymore: the openfirmware hangs for
    an indefinite amount of time (with the cursor-clock showing the time
    passing, but never transforming into an arrow). I am able to boot from
    an apple CD or from a knoppix-ppc CD by holding the C-key during the
    chime... but I would like my Debian-in-harddisk back!

    Anyone has an idea? Maybe the firmware got corrupted?
    Maybe I have to change the firmware?

    Anyone knows a text hack for the text-mode openfirmware that lets me
    boot the linux partition?

    Thanks,

    Alex

  2. Re: Graphic openfirmware hangs

    Alejandro Gaita-Arinyo wrote:

    > I have an ibook, MacOS and Debian on hard disk. MacOS starts by default
    > (heh, the ibook is not mine!), I usually start Debian by pressing Alt
    > during chime and choosing in the graphic openfirmware the linux partition.
    >
    > The problem now is, I cannot choose anymore: the openfirmware hangs for
    > an indefinite amount of time (with the cursor-clock showing the time
    > passing, but never transforming into an arrow). I am able to boot from
    > an apple CD or from a knoppix-ppc CD by holding the C-key during the
    > chime... but I would like my Debian-in-harddisk back!
    >
    > Anyone has an idea? Maybe the firmware got corrupted?
    > Maybe I have to change the firmware?
    >
    > Anyone knows a text hack for the text-mode openfirmware that lets me
    > boot the linux partition?

    Look for the part about booting a kernel, boot loader, or CHRP script.

    Email me if I haven't been clear enough in the article above.

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Fan of Woody Allen

  3. Re: Graphic openfirmware hangs

    Hi,

    Alejandro Gaita-Arinyo a écrit:
    > I have an ibook, MacOS and Debian on hard disk. MacOS starts by default
    > (heh, the ibook is not mine!), I usually start Debian by pressing Alt
    > during chime and choosing in the graphic openfirmware the linux partition.

    BE CAREFUL :

    Only if you're using yaboot...

    alt command O F while boot

    then :

    boot hd:9,yaboot

    And you normaly will have the boot you know...

    If the 9th partition is not the boostrap partition, try 10 or something
    else...

    Again in Linux,become root and do "ybin -v " in a console...

    Hope this help....

    Regards

    --
    NO ePATENTS / NON AUX BREVETS SUR LES LOGICIELS. Voir / See
    http://swpat.ffii.org/

    eric b

+ Reply to Thread