DNS weirdness - Powerpc

This is a discussion on DNS weirdness - Powerpc ; Hi, my little Mandrake 9.1 system was running nicely. I went back to OSX for a couple of days and when I went back to Mandrake it has developed some issues. It won't resolve names from command line utilities. If ...

  1. DNS weirdness

    Hi,

    my little Mandrake 9.1 system was running nicely. I went back to OSX
    for a couple of days and when I went back to Mandrake it has developed
    some issues.

    It won't resolve names from command line utilities. If I try ping
    www.apple.com it says unknown host. Yet dig www.apple.com gives the
    right address.

    It also seems to have lost any idea that there is a drive with OSX on
    it so MOL doesn't work.

    I'm not sure if there is some kernel wierdness going on or if it's
    just a setting gone bad.

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks

    Nick

  2. Re: DNS weirdness

    I got tired of the "line exceeds..." messages, so I'll just use %n wrote...
    {Nick Brooker} wrote:
    > It won't resolve names from command line utilities. If I try ping
    > www.apple.com it says unknown host. Yet dig www.apple.com gives the
    > right address.

    What does "more /etc/resolv.conf" produce? Does it have the right
    nameservers in it?

    > It also seems to have lost any idea that there is a drive with OSX on
    > it so MOL doesn't work.

    Is the OSX drive HFS, HFS+, or UFS? Do you have the right kernel modules
    to read those filesystems?

    Cheers,
    - Graham Percival

  3. Re: DNS weirdness

    Hi,

    On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:03:10 +0000, Graham Percival wrote:

    > I got tired of the "line exceeds..." messages, so I'll just use %n wrote...
    > {Nick Brooker} wrote:
    >> It won't resolve names from command line utilities. If I try ping
    >> www.apple.com it says unknown host. Yet dig www.apple.com gives the
    >> right address.

    > What does "more /etc/resolv.conf" produce? Does it have the right
    > nameservers in it?

    All seems to make sense. It has our ISPs servers in it and even with
    127.0.0.1 first up running a caching server it seems to fail.

    >> It also seems to have lost any idea that there is a drive with OSX on
    >> it so MOL doesn't work.

    > Is the OSX drive HFS, HFS+, or UFS? Do you have the right kernel modules
    > to read those filesystems?

    They´re HFS+. The odd thing is that it did work. I´ll check the autoload
    modules directory and see if they¨re OK.

    Thanks for the leads.

    Nick

  4. Re: DNS weirdness

    More notes that may be relevent:

    The really odd bit is that squid works and resolves fine. nslookup
    works fine but ping, ssh etc all say unknown hosts unless it's in the
    /etc/hosts.

    Host.config says order hosts,bind.

    Bizarre...

    TIA