"Mac-like" mouse behavior for Linux? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on "Mac-like" mouse behavior for Linux? - Powerpc ; Macs come with a one-button mouse. Some apps (Mozilla is one) deal elegantly with that by popping up a little menu when you click-and-hold briefly. By selecting an item from the menu, you can have far more than even the ...

  1. "Mac-like" mouse behavior for Linux?

    Macs come with a one-button mouse. Some apps (Mozilla is one) deal
    elegantly with that by popping up a little menu when you click-and-hold
    briefly. By selecting an item from the menu, you can have far more than
    even the three choices a more button-endowed mouse could provide.

    When I use Moz in Linux, I find myself click-holding a lot, before I
    realize that it won't work. I sure wish it did.

    Is there some kind of addition or modification I could install on YDL to
    get that behavior?

    Isaac

  2. Re: "Mac-like" mouse behavior for Linux?

    Isaac Wingfield wrote in news:isw-
    90075C.11173127102003@netnews.attbi.com:

    > Macs come with a one-button mouse. Some apps (Mozilla is one) deal
    > elegantly with that by popping up a little menu when you click-and-hold
    > briefly. By selecting an item from the menu, you can have far more than
    > even the three choices a more button-endowed mouse could provide.
    >
    > When I use Moz in Linux, I find myself click-holding a lot, before I
    > realize that it won't work. I sure wish it did.
    >
    > Is there some kind of addition or modification I could install on YDL to
    > get that behavior?

    You get that choice during the YDL install setup process, I think the
    default is the F11 and F12 keys to hold down when you click with a Mac
    mouse to get a "right" and "middle" button - I'm not certain about the
    keys, I use a wheelmouse optical on my Mac - but I seem to recall something
    along those lines as being how to get more functionality from a one button
    mouse and YDL (and other PPC Linux's).

    Take a look at your mouse configuration, you'll see it's just a parameter
    to set, if it isn't already set, that is.

  3. Re: "Mac-like" mouse behavior for Linux?

    In article ,
    Mike Dee wrote:

    > Isaac Wingfield wrote in news:isw-
    > 90075C.11173127102003@netnews.attbi.com:
    >
    > > Macs come with a one-button mouse. Some apps (Mozilla is one) deal
    > > elegantly with that by popping up a little menu when you click-and-hold
    > > briefly. By selecting an item from the menu, you can have far more than
    > > even the three choices a more button-endowed mouse could provide.
    > >
    > > When I use Moz in Linux, I find myself click-holding a lot, before I
    > > realize that it won't work. I sure wish it did.
    > >
    > > Is there some kind of addition or modification I could install on YDL to
    > > get that behavior?

    > You get that choice during the YDL install setup process, I think the
    > default is the F11 and F12 keys to hold down when you click with a Mac
    > mouse to get a "right" and "middle" button

    I know about that, but it's not what I want. In Mozilla - Mac, when I
    click-and-hold on a link, a little menu drops down, and I can choose to:

    Open the link in a new window

    Open the link in a new tab

    Save the link

    Download what the link's pointing to...

    .... and several other things.

    It occurred to me that something like that would be a really nice way
    for a one-button mouse to work in Linux -- far better than having to use
    your other hand to press some oddball key combination, IMHO.

    I had hoped that someone with programming skills would have thought so
    too.

    thanks

    Isaac

+ Reply to Thread