Power PC Model 5200/75LC - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Power PC Model 5200/75LC - Powerpc ; Has anyone done anything with the all-in-one Power PC Model 5200/75LC and other "education issue" PPC's to convert them over to Linux? We have a bunch of various 5200's, 7200 and 7500 and want to put them all on Linux ...

  1. Power PC Model 5200/75LC

    Has anyone done anything with the all-in-one Power PC Model 5200/75LC and
    other "education issue" PPC's to convert them over to Linux? We have a
    bunch of various 5200's, 7200 and 7500 and want to put them all on Linux to
    save the capital investment in the hardware. They still seem to have
    several years' use left by students. We have just overhauled them, took
    apart, cleaned out, replaced hard drives with larger ones and only had to
    spend about $50 per machine to do that with volunteer labor and swap-meet
    priced hard drives and memory. They all have network capability.

    Appreciate your advice and assistance

    Dave
    Teacher

  2. Re: Power PC Model 5200/75LC

    Dave wrote:
    > Has anyone done anything with the all-in-one Power PC Model 5200/75LC and
    > other "education issue" PPC's to convert them over to Linux? We have a
    > bunch of various 5200's, 7200 and 7500 and want to put them all on Linux to
    > save the capital investment in the hardware. They still seem to have
    > several years' use left by students. We have just overhauled them, took
    > apart, cleaned out, replaced hard drives with larger ones and only had to
    > spend about $50 per machine to do that with volunteer labor and swap-meet
    > priced hard drives and memory. They all have network capability.

    The 7500s should run Linux the best of the ones you mentioned; they can
    be upgraded to G3 or even G4, and they hold the most memory (up to 1 GB
    if you're so inclined). The internal SCSI bus works, but (being narrow
    Fast-10 SCSI) is a bitr slow, so you might want to invest in either a
    SCSI or IDE card with Mac firmware if you can.

    The 7200 should work fine, but the processor isn't upgradable like the
    7500's is -- I remember Sonnet making a fairly expensive G3 upgrade for
    it, though.

    The 5200s, however, pose the biggest problem for Linux. They're
    basically Quadras with a 603-based PPC upgrade card integrated right
    into the mainboard, and as such had a host of stability problems and
    quirks (at least in MacOS). Like the Quadras, they're NuBus/PDS Macs (no
    Open Firmware), so you'll need to keep MacOS on them to boot Linux. To
    the best of my knowledge, the only Linux you can run on them is MkLinux,
    though this may have changed since I last looked.

    -lee

  3. Re: Power PC Model 5200/75LC

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:32:18 -0400, Lee Cremeans wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >> Has anyone done anything with the all-in-one Power PC Model 5200/75LC and
    >> other "education issue" PPC's to convert them over to Linux? We have a
    >> bunch of various 5200's, 7200 and 7500 and want to put them all on Linux to
    >> save the capital investment in the hardware. They still seem to have
    >> several years' use left by students. We have just overhauled them, took
    >> apart, cleaned out, replaced hard drives with larger ones and only had to
    >> spend about $50 per machine to do that with volunteer labor and swap-meet
    >> priced hard drives and memory. They all have network capability.
    >>

    > The 7500s should run Linux the best of the ones you mentioned; they can
    > be upgraded to G3 or even G4, and they hold the most memory (up to 1 GB
    > if you're so inclined). The internal SCSI bus works, but (being narrow
    > Fast-10 SCSI) is a bitr slow, so you might want to invest in either a
    > SCSI or IDE card with Mac firmware if you can.
    >
    > The 7200 should work fine, but the processor isn't upgradable like the
    > 7500's is -- I remember Sonnet making a fairly expensive G3 upgrade for
    > it, though.
    >
    > The 5200s, however, pose the biggest problem for Linux. They're
    > basically Quadras with a 603-based PPC upgrade card integrated right
    > into the mainboard, and as such had a host of stability problems and
    > quirks (at least in MacOS). Like the Quadras, they're NuBus/PDS Macs (no
    > Open Firmware), so you'll need to keep MacOS on them to boot Linux. To
    > the best of my knowledge, the only Linux you can run on them is MkLinux,
    > though this may have changed since I last looked.
    >
    > -lee

    Thank you for the help! I have ordered Marcel's book from Amazon which
    comes with an MKL CD so I will read and try. Thanks again for the quick
    response.

    Regards,

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread