XFree86 how to configure it correctly? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on XFree86 how to configure it correctly? - Powerpc ; Hi I'm an Italian newbay of Linux for Macintosh. I need some help about the correct configuration of XFree86. To be more precise I have a Mac PPC G4 466 with a ATI RAGE 128 PRO, whose name is Display. ...

  1. XFree86 how to configure it correctly?

    Hi

    I'm an Italian newbay of Linux for Macintosh.

    I need some help about the correct configuration of XFree86.

    To be more precise I have a Mac PPC G4 466 with a ATI RAGE 128 PRO, whose
    name is Display. Another identification that is showed by Apple System
    Profiler is ATI RAGE 128 PD. And my monitor is a Philips 107T21.

    Here I report its features:

    107T21

    * 17-inch (16.0" VIS) color monitor with excellent front of screen
    performance for use with MACs and PCs
    * Autoscan covers horizontal frequencies up to 71 kHz offering a maximum
    resolution of 1280 x 1024 with flicker free display of 1024 x 768 at up to
    89 Hz
    * Flat square High Contrast CRT with high-resolution 0.25 mm dot pitch
    (0.21 hdp).
    * LightFrame for brightest and sharpest display of movie and photo
    windows
    * Large screen display in a small footprint: World's shortest 17-inch
    conventional monitor with maximum depth of only 408 mm/16.1"
    * Multimedia Base and USB Hub option
    * MPR-II,NUTEK, EPA, FCC, CE and ISO9241,ISO14001 certified

    Technical Specifications*

    CRT
    € Size and deflection 17 inch / 41 cm ; 90° deflection angle
    € Dot pitch 0.25 mm
    € Horizontal pitch 0.21 mm
    € Tube type Shadow mask, flat square, high contrast, anti-glare,
    anti-static, anti reflection, light transmission 47%
    € Phosphor P22
    € Recommended display area 12.0" x 9.0" / 306 x 230 mm
    € Maximum display area 12.9" x 9.7" / 327 x 245 mm

    SCANNING
    € Horizontal scanning 30 - 71 KHz
    € Vertical scanning 50 - 160 Hz

    VIDEO
    € Video dot rate 108 MHz
    € Input impedance
    - Video 75 ohm
    - Sync 2.2 kOhm
    € Input signal levels 0.7 Vpp
    € Sync input signal
    Separate sync

    Composite sync
    € Sync polarities Positive and negative

    WHITE COLOR TEMPERATURE
    Chromaticity CIE coordinates:
    € at 9300 K degrees x = 0.283 / y = 0.297
    € at 6500 K degrees x = 0.313 / y = 0.329

    Unfortunately I have'nt found any info about features of my ATI card.

    Anyway the principal problem I have, is to set correctly those lines, in the
    XConfig-4 file, that are similar to this

    Modeline "1024x768" 94.5 1024 1072 1168 1376 768 769 772 808 +HSync +VSync.

    There is there anyone who can help me?

    Thanks

    Marco, Italy

  2. Re: XFree86 how to configure it correctly?

    Marco Frisan wrote:

    > To be more precise I have a Mac PPC G4 466 with a ATI RAGE 128 PRO

    > € Horizontal scanning 30 - 71 KHz
    > € Vertical scanning 50 - 160 Hz

    > Thanks
    >
    > Marco, Italy

    (a) Which Linux?
    (b) I assume you boot your linux with yaboot, not bootx? Please confirm.
    (c) Your video card: AGP or PCI?
    (b) Which XFree86? If you enter 'XFree86 -version' what does it say?
    (c) If you enter 'startx', what does it say?

  3. Re: XFree86 how to configure it correctly?

    In GOglb.208$I04.1@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net, whom, whom@ever.org, il
    21.10.2003 22:37 ha scritto:

    > Marco Frisan wrote:

    >> To be more precise I have a Mac PPC G4 466 with a ATI RAGE 128 PRO

    >> € Horizontal scanning 30 - 71 KHz
    >> € Vertical scanning 50 - 160 Hz

    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Marco, Italy

    > (a) Which Linux?
    > (b) I assume you boot your linux with yaboot, not bootx? Please confirm.
    > (c) Your video card: AGP or PCI?
    > (b) Which XFree86? If you enter 'XFree86 -version' what does it say?
    > (c) If you enter 'startx', what does it say?

    Sorry for the incomplete informations.

    I've installed a Yellow Dog 2.3 Linux and I'm almost sure that the version
    of XFree86 installed is 4.X.
    In this moment I'm not able to say it exactly becouse I'm surfing with Mac
    OS.

    I will send you more information lately.

    Thanks

    Marco, Italy

  4. Re: XFree86 how to configure it correctly?

    In BBBDFCB3.208B4%enderender@virgilio.it, Marco Frisan,
    enderender@virgilio.it, il 23.10.2003 21:42 ha scritto:

    > In GOglb.208$I04.1@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net, whom, whom@ever.org, il
    > 21.10.2003 22:37 ha scritto:
    >
    >> Marco Frisan wrote:

    >>> To be more precise I have a Mac PPC G4 466 with a ATI RAGE 128 PRO

    >>> € Horizontal scanning 30 - 71 KHz
    >>> € Vertical scanning 50 - 160 Hz

    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Marco, Italy

    >> (a) Which Linux?
    >> (b) I assume you boot your linux with yaboot, not bootx? Please confirm.
    >> (c) Your video card: AGP or PCI?
    >> (b) Which XFree86? If you enter 'XFree86 -version' what does it say?
    >> (c) If you enter 'startx', what does it say?
    >>

    > Sorry for the incomplete informations.
    >
    > I've installed a Yellow Dog 2.3 Linux and I'm almost sure that the version
    > of XFree86 installed is 4.X.
    > In this moment I'm not able to say it exactly becouse I'm surfing with Mac
    > OS.
    >
    > I will send you more information lately.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Marco, Italy

    Oops I have forgot the slot type of the video card.
    It is an AGP slot.

    Thanks

    Marco, Italy

  5. Re: XFree86 how to configure it correctly?

    Marco Frisan wrote:

    > In BBBDFCB3.208B4%enderender@virgilio.it, Marco Frisan,
    > enderender@virgilio.it, il 23.10.2003 21:42 ha scritto:
    >
    >> In GOglb.208$I04.1@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net, whom, whom@ever.org,
    >> il 21.10.2003 22:37 ha scritto:

    >>> (a) Which Linux?
    >>> (b) I assume you boot your linux with yaboot, not bootx? Please confirm.
    >>> (c) Your video card: AGP or PCI?
    >>> (b) Which XFree86? If you enter 'XFree86 -version' what does it say?
    >>> (c) If you enter 'startx', what does it say?
    >>>

    >> Sorry for the incomplete informations.
    >>
    >> I've installed a Yellow Dog 2.3 Linux and I'm almost sure that the
    >> version of XFree86 installed is 4.X.
    >> In this moment I'm not able to say it exactly becouse I'm surfing with
    >> Mac OS.
    >>
    >> I will send you more information lately.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Marco, Italy
    >>

    > Oops I have forgot the slot type of the video card.
    > It is an AGP slot.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Marco, Italy

    Did you browse these pages?

    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor....3.shtml#notes
    http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...n/dexter.shtml

  6. Re: XFree86 how to configure it correctly?

    In Oj0mb.3730$wc3.1268@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et, whom,
    whom@ever.org, il 24.10.2003 04:41 ha scritto:

    > Did you browse these pages?
    >
    > http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor....3.shtml#notes
    > http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/suppor...n/dexter.shtml

    I surfed those pages few moments ago, and I didn't find anything
    interesting.

    But, maybe I was misunderstood. My video settings are working. My problem is
    just to fine tune monitor and graphic board settings, becouse I have the
    suspect they are working 70% of their actual capacity. And I worry to not
    damage monitor and graphic board.

    The principal settings I don't understand are video timings: specifically I
    don't know wath are Front Porch and Back Porch for Horizzontal and Vetical
    timings, used to calculate h/vsyncstart, h/vsyncend, h/vsynctotal.

    Philips gives no information about those parameters and I don't know how to
    find out them, because I don't know what they are.

    About graphic board, I am in worse situation, because I don't know almost
    anything about it's specifications, exept for video RAM, model name and slot
    type. And it seems impossible to find any information about my card on ATI
    web site.
    More precisely I'm looking for dot clock/pixel clock, and drivers to use to
    made it work correctly.

    Thanks

    Marco, Italy

+ Reply to Thread