Encrypting file systems - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Encrypting file systems - Powerpc ; Most of the articles I've read about encrypting file systems are a couple of years old, and they all talk about patching the kernel. Is this still the case or is support now included in modern kernels ? I'm running ...

  1. Encrypting file systems

    Most of the articles I've read about encrypting file systems are a couple of
    years old, and they all talk about patching the kernel. Is this still the
    case or is support now included in modern kernels ?

    I'm running 2.4-20-8d on a PowerPC, YellowDog 3.0 is the distro. Thanks
    folks.

  2. Re: Encrypting file systems

    Draxen wrote:
    > Most of the articles I've read about encrypting file systems are a couple of
    > years old, and they all talk about patching the kernel. Is this still the
    > case or is support now included in modern kernels ?

    I couldn't tell you; have you check counterpane.com? do a search on
    security sites, maybe one of them can share some light.

    > I'm running 2.4-20-8d on a PowerPC, YellowDog 3.0 is the distro. Thanks
    > folks.

    is YDL faster than osx?

    salud,
    luigi

  3. Re: Encrypting file systems

    > Most of the articles I've read about encrypting file systems are a couple of
    > years old, and they all talk about patching the kernel. Is this still the
    > case or is support now included in modern kernels ?
    >
    > I'm running 2.4-20-8d on a PowerPC, YellowDog 3.0 is the distro. Thanks
    > folks.

    In the 2.4.22 Kernel the crypto patch was merged i.e. no more patching
    is required, yet still you have to compile your own kernel.

    The alternative would be to use loop-aes (as I do with my iBook2 running
    2.4.21-benh2) from , if the loop module
    (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP) is compiled as a module you can just replace
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-8d/kernel/drivers/block/loop.o with the one loop-aes
    will compile for you and use the AES cipher to encrypt your partition.
    Also losetup and mount will require patching.

    -Thomas

  4. Re: Encrypting file systems

    "luigi" wrote in message

    > > I'm running 2.4-20-8d on a PowerPC, YellowDog 3.0 is the distro. Thanks
    > > folks.

    > is YDL faster than osx?

    I would *guess* yes, my G4 isn't capable of running OS-X but it runs YD
    quite nicely, so YD is less resource hungry than OS-X which leads me to
    think that yes it'd be faster.

  5. Re: Encrypting file systems

    luigi wrote:

    ..
    ..
    ..

    > is YDL faster than osx?
    >
    > salud,
    > luigi

    Based on "feeling": yes.

    Otherwise, just to put some (arbitrary) numbers on that feeling:
    - on a PowerBook G3/333MHz, compiling Apache takes from 83 sec to 72 sec
    with YDL and takes from 107 sec to 99 sec with 10.2.8.
    - same thing on a PowerMac 9500 with a G3/500MHz ends up from 61 sec to 56
    sec with YDL and from 87 sec to 79 sec with 10.2.8.

    These times corresponds to a configure followed by make with stdout and
    stderr redirected to /dev/null in order to avoid any graphic scroll (the
    video is kind of "archaic" on these two machines nowadays). So it's
    essentially measuring computation and I/O with no graphical stuff (and no
    Altivec influence). The from ... to variation corresponds to the longest
    and shortest time measured in multi-user (with X or Aqua, using Terminal),
    multi-user (no X, no Aqua, only console), single-user (only console).

    I don't have any recent Mac so I can't tell what the difference would be on
    high-end G4 or G5.

    Tentative comment: HFS?

    Additional comment: although there is probably a significant number of
    people using both YDL and OS X, I do believe that the two OS do not address
    the same type of users (yet).

+ Reply to Thread