getting debian to boot on oldworld G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on getting debian to boot on oldworld G3 - Powerpc ; hi all i've been trying to get a freshly installed debian to boot on my beige G3 (oldworld). this is how i went about : - started from debian bootdisk, inserted rootdisk and installed debian over network. install went perfectly ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

  1. getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    hi all


    i've been trying to get a freshly installed debian to boot on my beige
    G3 (oldworld). this is how i went about:

    - started from debian bootdisk, inserted rootdisk and installed debian
    over network. install went perfectly fine
    - i chose to install quik at the end of the install, using an edited
    first.b file for my beige g3 (as can be found in the debian ppc manual
    on debian.org)
    - i rebooted and came at the open firmware prompt

    and that's where i got stuck. i can't seem to use 'boot' to load debian,
    and it seems as if quik has not edited the environment variables. so i
    changed them manually, but still can't get debian to boot.
    when i type 'bye', and MacOS starts and shows me the floppy with the
    question mark, i insert the debian ppc rescue disk, but the floppy gets
    ejected.

    can anyone give me a hand here or point me in the right direction?

    thanks a lot in advance!
    a.

  2. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    I was in pretty much same situation couple of months ago when I got my
    PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (Oldworld, OF 2.0.1)... I Installed Debian from
    floppies, but couldn't get OF to boot... I have tried all the parameters
    such as loadbase=100000 and bootfile + bootdevice but no luck... Eventually
    I managed to create boot floppy (using bin-hex editor and editing one of the
    system files on debian boot image).. Of course it wasn't very convenient and
    I couldn't get X server running.....
    Anyways, I have reinstalled MacOS9.2 installed BootX and YellowDog3 as a
    second system... Everything works perfectly, YDL is awesome and no problems
    setting up X whatsoever.....


    "annelies" wrote in message
    news:MPG.19fb52cc973c41829896ba@news.pandora.be...
    > hi all
    >
    >
    > i've been trying to get a freshly installed debian to boot on my beige
    > G3 (oldworld). this is how i went about:
    >
    > - started from debian bootdisk, inserted rootdisk and installed debian
    > over network. install went perfectly fine
    > - i chose to install quik at the end of the install, using an edited
    > first.b file for my beige g3 (as can be found in the debian ppc manual
    > on debian.org)
    > - i rebooted and came at the open firmware prompt
    >
    > and that's where i got stuck. i can't seem to use 'boot' to load debian,
    > and it seems as if quik has not edited the environment variables. so i
    > changed them manually, but still can't get debian to boot.
    > when i type 'bye', and MacOS starts and shows me the floppy with the
    > question mark, i insert the debian ppc rescue disk, but the floppy gets
    > ejected.
    >
    > can anyone give me a hand here or point me in the right direction?
    >
    > thanks a lot in advance!
    > a.




  3. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    annelies wrote:
    > hi all
    >
    >
    > i've been trying to get a freshly installed debian to boot on my beige
    > G3 (oldworld). this is how i went about:
    >
    > - started from debian bootdisk, inserted rootdisk and installed debian
    > over network. install went perfectly fine
    > - i chose to install quik at the end of the install, using an edited
    > first.b file for my beige g3 (as can be found in the debian ppc manual
    > on debian.org)
    > - i rebooted and came at the open firmware prompt
    >
    > and that's where i got stuck. i can't seem to use 'boot' to load debian,
    > and it seems as if quik has not edited the environment variables. so i
    > changed them manually, but still can't get debian to boot.
    > when i type 'bye', and MacOS starts and shows me the floppy with the
    > question mark, i insert the debian ppc rescue disk, but the floppy gets
    > ejected.


    What errors are you seeing when you try to boot from Open Firmware?
    There's a G3-specific bug in quik that keeps it from working right
    (DEFAULT CATCH! 0x0FFFF0400, IIRC) when you run it on a G3 processor. I
    made up a formal patch (based on code Michel Lanners originally wrote)
    and it's in the version of Quik unstable uses. If you want, I can give
    you the first.b off my 7600 to try.

    To get back to OF, hold down Cmd-Opt-O-F just after you turn the power
    on. It should go to the OF console; if not, you'll need a MacOS boot
    disk and either the System Disk program from Apple, or Boot Variables.
    Let me know if this is the case.

    -lee


  4. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    In article ,
    xxx@earthlink.net says...
    > I was in pretty much same situation couple of months ago when I got my
    > PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (Oldworld, OF 2.0.1)... I Installed Debian from
    > floppies, but couldn't get OF to boot... I have tried all the parameters
    > such as loadbase=100000 and bootfile + bootdevice but no luck... Eventually
    > I managed to create boot floppy (using bin-hex editor and editing one of the
    > system files on debian boot image).. Of course it wasn't very convenient and
    > I couldn't get X server running.....
    > Anyways, I have reinstalled MacOS9.2 installed BootX and YellowDog3 as a
    > second system... Everything works perfectly, YDL is awesome and no problems
    > setting up X whatsoever.....


    Thanks for your reply. I'm working with the hex-edited boot image as
    well right now, and that works fine, but still not like it should. I
    will have to try installing MacOS 9 again and use BootX. I've been using
    Slackware and Debian so far, but I will most certainly take a look at
    YD.

  5. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    In article ,
    lee@lcremeans.homeip.net says...

    > What errors are you seeing when you try to boot from Open Firmware?
    > There's a G3-specific bug in quik that keeps it from working right
    > (DEFAULT CATCH! 0x0FFFF0400, IIRC) when you run it on a G3 processor. I
    > made up a formal patch (based on code Michel Lanners originally wrote)
    > and it's in the version of Quik unstable uses. If you want, I can give
    > you the first.b off my 7600 to try.
    >
    > To get back to OF, hold down Cmd-Opt-O-F just after you turn the power
    > on. It should go to the OF console; if not, you'll need a MacOS boot
    > disk and either the System Disk program from Apple, or Boot Variables.
    > Let me know if this is the case.


    Thanks for your reply. I don't seem to be getting that Default Catch
    error, but I would very much like to get your first.b file, just to see
    if it works with that. I can get to the OF prompt just fine, but what
    exactly are those MacOS boot disk, the System Disk program from Apple
    and Boot Variables? If any of these allow me to change settings to my
    Mac that I can't change without them, I'm most certainly interested.
    Where can I get those?

  6. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    annelies wrote:
    > In article ,
    > lee@lcremeans.homeip.net says...
    >
    >
    >>What errors are you seeing when you try to boot from Open Firmware?
    >>There's a G3-specific bug in quik that keeps it from working right
    >>(DEFAULT CATCH! 0x0FFFF0400, IIRC) when you run it on a G3 processor. I
    >>made up a formal patch (based on code Michel Lanners originally wrote)
    >>and it's in the version of Quik unstable uses. If you want, I can give
    >>you the first.b off my 7600 to try.
    >>
    >>To get back to OF, hold down Cmd-Opt-O-F just after you turn the power
    >>on. It should go to the OF console; if not, you'll need a MacOS boot
    >>disk and either the System Disk program from Apple, or Boot Variables.
    >>Let me know if this is the case.

    >
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I don't seem to be getting that Default Catch
    > error, but I would very much like to get your first.b file, just to see
    > if it works with that. I can get to the OF prompt just fine, but what
    > exactly are those MacOS boot disk, the System Disk program from Apple
    > and Boot Variables? If any of these allow me to change settings to my
    > Mac that I can't change without them, I'm most certainly interested.
    > Where can I get those?


    My first.b will be at
    http://lcremeans.homeip.net/~lee/fil....from-unstable by the time
    you read this. Let me know if this helps.

    System Disk is available from Apple (you need OS 8.0 or better to run it):
    ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/macosx...k2.3.1.smi.bin

    Boot Variables is available here, and will run on System 7.5.x:
    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch...rs1.3b.sit.hqx

    Both uitlities will let you change Open Firmware settings from inside
    MacOS. Boot Variables is a bit more capable, while System Disk is a bit
    easier to use.

    -lee


  7. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    In article , annelies
    wrote:

    > Thanks for your reply. I'm working with the hex-edited boot image as
    > well right now, and that works fine, but still not like it should. I
    > will have to try installing MacOS 9 again and use BootX. I've been using
    > Slackware and Debian so far, but I will most certainly take a look at
    > YD.


    Hi Annelies

    I've had a mixed bag of success and problems running Linux on my Old
    World PPC (7300/200) which I'll share with you, in case it's any use.

    Debian 3.0 works fine but NOT X-windows, so terminal only.
    YDL 2.2 works (except the mouse) YDL 2.3 crashes.
    LinuxPPC2000 works fine, and installs very easily.
    BUT none of them will print anything. 3 different printers, nothing.

    I have programmning work to do, so Debian is best for me, using C, Lisp
    and Prolog. I make a small HFS partition on the MacOS and copy
    documents from Linux into it, and print them from the MacOS.

    I hate WINDOZE but I wonder if I have to get a PC to make Linux work
    properly.

    Good luck anyway, ou bonne chance si vous la preferez...

    Nikki

  8. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    In article ,
    lee@lcremeans.homeip.net says...

    > My first.b will be at
    > http://lcremeans.homeip.net/~lee/fil....from-unstable by the time
    > you read this. Let me know if this helps.
    >
    > System Disk is available from Apple (you need OS 8.0 or better to run it):
    > ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/macosx...k2.3.1.smi.bin
    >
    > Boot Variables is available here, and will run on System 7.5.x:
    > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch...rs1.3b.sit.hqx
    >
    > Both uitlities will let you change Open Firmware settings from inside
    > MacOS. Boot Variables is a bit more capable, while System Disk is a bit
    > easier to use.


    Thanks a lot, it has worked with your first.b! I will most certainly
    take a look at those other tools you mentioned. Thanks again!


  9. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    In article <221020032121398850%nix@home.com>, nix@home.com says...
    > In article , annelies
    > wrote:
    >
    > Hi Annelies
    >
    > I've had a mixed bag of success and problems running Linux on my Old
    > World PPC (7300/200) which I'll share with you, in case it's any use.
    >
    > Debian 3.0 works fine but NOT X-windows, so terminal only.
    > YDL 2.2 works (except the mouse) YDL 2.3 crashes.
    > LinuxPPC2000 works fine, and installs very easily.
    > BUT none of them will print anything. 3 different printers, nothing.


    Yes, I've noticed that I couldn't get X to work. YD 3.0 works fine
    though, with X-windows.

    > I have programmning work to do, so Debian is best for me, using C, Lisp
    > and Prolog. I make a small HFS partition on the MacOS and copy
    > documents from Linux into it, and print them from the MacOS.
    >
    > I hate WINDOZE but I wonder if I have to get a PC to make Linux work
    > properly.
    >
    > Good luck anyway, ou bonne chance si vous la preferez...


    Je suis désolée mais je ne suis pas francophone La Belgique est
    un pays bilingue, et moi j'habite dans la partie Flamande, l'où on
    parle Néerlandais. Als ik dus mag kiezen heb ik liever dat je me
    in het Nederlands of in het Engels aanspreekt So far for some
    French/Dutch. Thanks btw, and as you might've read, I've gotten it
    to work with Lee's quik.b.

  10. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    Nikki writes:

    > In article , annelies
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for your reply. I'm working with the hex-edited boot image as
    > > well right now, and that works fine, but still not like it should. I
    > > will have to try installing MacOS 9 again and use BootX. I've been using
    > > Slackware and Debian so far, but I will most certainly take a look at
    > > YD.

    >
    > I've had a mixed bag of success and problems running Linux on my Old
    > World PPC (7300/200) which I'll share with you, in case it's any use.
    >
    > Debian 3.0 works fine but NOT X-windows, so terminal only.
    > YDL 2.2 works (except the mouse) YDL 2.3 crashes.
    > LinuxPPC2000 works fine, and installs very easily.
    > BUT none of them will print anything. 3 different printers, nothing.


    Intriguing. I have a 7600/200 at home and installed YDL 2.1 on it,
    then later did an apt-get upgrade to YDL 2.3. Both of these work well
    for me, the mouse and X work without problems. I have more recently
    installed a Logitech USB optical wheel mouse (PCI USB card, since
    replaced with a USB2/Firewire card) and this worked with no effort on
    my part. I could not get printing to work with YDL 2.1 and manually
    installed CUPS plus the gimp-print drivers which got printing working
    with an Epson C40UX at home.

    More recently under 2.3 and the CUPS plus gimp-print drivers which
    came with it I have also printed to several laser printers at work
    when connected via dialup. Printing to non-postscript printers does
    seem to be one of the more problematic tasks with a lot of people
    reporting problems. With YDL 3.0 on an iBook I had to try a range of
    gimp-print versions before I found one that would print to the Epson
    C40UX.

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics & Materials Engineering
    Monash University http://www.ph.adfa.edu.au/s-harker/
    Baloney Baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell

  11. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    In article , Stephen Harker
    wrote:

    > Nikki writes:
    >
    > > In article , annelies
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks for your reply. I'm working with the hex-edited boot image as
    > > > well right now, and that works fine, but still not like it should. I
    > > > will have to try installing MacOS 9 again and use BootX. I've been using
    > > > Slackware and Debian so far, but I will most certainly take a look at
    > > > YD.

    > >
    > > I've had a mixed bag of success and problems running Linux on my Old
    > > World PPC (7300/200) which I'll share with you, in case it's any use.
    > >
    > > Debian 3.0 works fine but NOT X-windows, so terminal only.
    > > YDL 2.2 works (except the mouse) YDL 2.3 crashes.
    > > LinuxPPC2000 works fine, and installs very easily.
    > > BUT none of them will print anything. 3 different printers, nothing.

    >
    > Intriguing. I have a 7600/200 at home and installed YDL 2.1 on it,
    > then later did an apt-get upgrade to YDL 2.3. Both of these work well
    > for me, the mouse and X work without problems. I have more recently
    > installed a Logitech USB optical wheel mouse (PCI USB card, since
    > replaced with a USB2/Firewire card) and this worked with no effort on
    > my part. I could not get printing to work with YDL 2.1 and manually
    > installed CUPS plus the gimp-print drivers which got printing working
    > with an Epson C40UX at home.
    >
    > More recently under 2.3 and the CUPS plus gimp-print drivers which
    > came with it I have also printed to several laser printers at work
    > when connected via dialup. Printing to non-postscript printers does
    > seem to be one of the more problematic tasks with a lot of people
    > reporting problems. With YDL 3.0 on an iBook I had to try a range of
    > gimp-print versions before I found one that would print to the Epson
    > C40UX.


    Yep, Stephen, I'm intrigued as well! The set-ups (or should that be
    sets-up?) are very similar, as my printer is a C41UX (SUX for short),
    and my mouse a dead ringer, PCI card and all...

    Actually it's even more intriguing, as I got YDL 2.2 to work once, and
    then 2.3. and now the (repeatable) problems I mentioned. The only
    difference is this: I have two hard-disks, one for Mac and the other
    for un*x, and recall reading somewhere that YDL likes to be top SCSI
    id. Maybe that's it, as I did change the disks around at some point.
    As far as printing is concerned, I shouldn't really complain, as I have
    given up trying. To be frank, I got so befuddled with lpr, lprng,
    ghostscript, cups and saucers ... and all the howtoes (howsto?) seem to
    be written on a level of if you can understand it you won't need it. If
    you could point me towards a simple "do this, then do that..." printing
    guide for humble Arts graduates, I'd be delighted. As it is I've sorta
    accepted that the combination of serial ports (or USB for the Epson)
    and non-postscript printers is a nono, hence my (reluctant) wondering
    about getting a PC as a Linux box.

    Any advice you might care to pass on would be most welcome. The Linux
    guides, book don't seem to mention printing much.

    BTW. I'm really fond of Debian, and have Slink running on my old SE/30,
    which is great fun (if a little slow!). But all that white on black is
    a bit tiring on the old mince pies.

    Nikki

  12. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    Nikki writes:

    > In article , Stephen Harker
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Nikki writes:
    > >
    > > > [...]
    > > > Debian 3.0 works fine but NOT X-windows, so terminal only.
    > > > YDL 2.2 works (except the mouse) YDL 2.3 crashes.
    > > > LinuxPPC2000 works fine, and installs very easily.
    > > > BUT none of them will print anything. 3 different printers, nothing.

    > >
    > > Intriguing. I have a 7600/200 at home and installed YDL 2.1 on it,
    > > then later did an apt-get upgrade to YDL 2.3. Both of these work well
    > > for me, the mouse and X work without problems. I have more recently
    > > installed a Logitech USB optical wheel mouse (PCI USB card, since
    > > replaced with a USB2/Firewire card) and this worked with no effort on
    > > my part. I could not get printing to work with YDL 2.1 and manually
    > > installed CUPS plus the gimp-print drivers which got printing working
    > > with an Epson C40UX at home.
    > > [...]

    > Yep, Stephen, I'm intrigued as well! The set-ups (or should that be
    > sets-up?) are very similar, as my printer is a C41UX (SUX for short),
    > and my mouse a dead ringer, PCI card and all...
    >
    > Actually it's even more intriguing, as I got YDL 2.2 to work once, and
    > then 2.3. and now the (repeatable) problems I mentioned. The only
    > difference is this: I have two hard-disks, one for Mac and the other
    > for un*x, and recall reading somewhere that YDL likes to be top SCSI
    > id.


    I will need to check my home system and my notes tonight to double
    check things. I am at work (it is around 8 am here) I will mention a
    few things I remember briefly.

    About the setup I have a 7600/200 (more recently I put an XLR8 G3/300
    card in when they were available cheap after XLR8 closed their
    doors). It has two 18Gb drives, drive ID 0 is MacOS, drive ID 2 is
    Linux. At one stage I had both on the same drive. I will need to
    check versions of the various packages I have installed to see if
    I am using the default CUPS and gimp-print.

    When I first got printing working in YDL 2.1 I did a manual install of
    CUPS and gimp-print 4.2.1. This meant downloading the .tar.gz files
    then doing commands like: `gunzip -c cups-???.tar.gz | tar xvof -' to
    unpack into a directory `cd cups-???' to change to the source
    directory `sh ./configure' to run the configuration then `make' and
    `sudo make install' to install the executables. This was repeated for
    the gimp-print source.

    I _think_ I am now using the CUPS that came with YDL 2.3. However, I
    am moderately sure that I am using a self-compiled gimp-print, it is
    certainly version 4.2.3 since I had to install that version on my
    iBook to get it to talk to the Epson C40UX.

    Once I had this installed I went to the CUPS printer manager, accessed
    through an "http" port on your linux box (go to http://localhost:631/
    in your browser of choice). Once there go to the `manage printers'
    option. The following is the description of the printer as I have it
    installed on my iBook (this _should_ be the same as my 7600)

    EPSON Stylus C40UX, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.2.3
    Description: Epson C40UX
    Location: USB port
    Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
    Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

    > Any advice you might care to pass on would be most welcome. The Linux
    > guides, book don't seem to mention printing much.


    It certainly seems to cause a lot of hassles. I have seen a lot of
    people reporting problems on PC's running linux as well, so it is not
    just the PPC versions.

    > BTW. I'm really fond of Debian, and have Slink running on my old SE/30,
    > which is great fun (if a little slow!). But all that white on black is
    > a bit tiring on the old mince pies.


    I must admit to having only run YDL (I did use RedHat on a PC when I
    was at TU Delft). Debian seems to have a lot of advantages. I don't
    need a lot of the glitz. I use fvwm2 as a window manager and mostly
    run things from a shell. My main use of graphics is using programs to
    create 2D plots (xfig for drawing, the R statistics and graphics
    package for data analysis and plots, plus a lot of self-written data
    analysis programs).

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics & Materials Engineering
    Monash University http://www.ph.adfa.edu.au/s-harker/
    Baloney Baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell

  13. Re: getting debian to boot on oldworld G3

    In article , Stephen Harker
    wrote:

    > Nikki writes:
    >
    > > In article , Stephen Harker
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > Nikki writes:
    > > >
    > > > > [...]
    > > > > Debian 3.0 works fine but NOT X-windows, so terminal only.
    > > > > YDL 2.2 works (except the mouse) YDL 2.3 crashes.
    > > > > LinuxPPC2000 works fine, and installs very easily.
    > > > > BUT none of them will print anything. 3 different printers, nothing.
    > > > >

    > About the setup I have a 7600/200 (more recently I put an XLR8 G3/300
    > card in when they were available cheap after XLR8 closed their
    > doors). It has two 18Gb drives, drive ID 0 is MacOS, drive ID 2 is
    > Linux. At one stage I had both on the same drive. I will need to
    > check versions of the various packages I have installed to see if
    > I am using the default CUPS and gimp-print.
    >
    > When I first got printing working in YDL 2.1 I did a manual install of
    > CUPS and gimp-print 4.2.1. This meant downloading the .tar.gz files
    > then doing commands like: `gunzip -c cups-???.tar.gz | tar xvof -' to
    > unpack into a directory `cd cups-???' to change to the source
    > directory `sh ./configure' to run the configuration then `make' and
    > `sudo make install' to install the executables. This was repeated for
    > the gimp-print source.
    >
    > I _think_ I am now using the CUPS that came with YDL 2.3. However, I
    > am moderately sure that I am using a self-compiled gimp-print, it is
    > certainly version 4.2.3 since I had to install that version on my
    > iBook to get it to talk to the Epson C40UX.
    >
    > Once I had this installed I went to the CUPS printer manager, accessed
    > through an "http" port on your linux box (go to http://localhost:631/
    > in your browser of choice). Once there go to the `manage printers'
    > option. The following is the description of the printer as I have it
    > installed on my iBook (this _should_ be the same as my 7600)
    >
    > EPSON Stylus C40UX, CUPS+GIMP-print v4.2.3
    > Description: Epson C40UX
    > Location: USB port
    > Printer State: idle, accepting jobs.
    > Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0
    >
    > > Any advice you might care to pass on would be most welcome. The Linux
    > > guides, book don't seem to mention printing much.

    >
    > It certainly seems to cause a lot of hassles. I have seen a lot of
    > people reporting problems on PC's running linux as well, so it is not
    > just the PPC versions.
    >
    > > BTW. I'm really fond of Debian, and have Slink running on my old SE/30,
    > > which is great fun (if a little slow!). But all that white on black is
    > > a bit tiring on the old mince pies.

    >
    > I must admit to having only run YDL (I did use RedHat on a PC when I
    > was at TU Delft). Debian seems to have a lot of advantages. I don't
    > need a lot of the glitz. I use fvwm2 as a window manager and mostly
    > run things from a shell. My main use of graphics is using programs to
    > create 2D plots (xfig for drawing, the R statistics and graphics
    > package for data analysis and plots, plus a lot of self-written data
    > analysis programs).


    Thanks Stephen, there's heap of stuff to work on here, and I'm a bit
    relieved that there are print problems on PCs too - particularly as the
    price of a G4 is falling!
    I'll have another try and let you know the results.
    Thanks again for your time and effort

    Nikki

+ Reply to Thread