Installing a second scanner - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Installing a second scanner - Powerpc ; At the time I installed YDL on my G3, there was a UMAX SCSI flatbed scanner attached to the Mac-- I had been using it for years. When I got YDL up and running, the GIMP knew all about that ...

  1. Installing a second scanner

    At the time I installed YDL on my G3, there was a UMAX SCSI flatbed
    scanner attached to the Mac-- I had been using it for years.

    When I got YDL up and running, the GIMP knew all about that scanner, and
    it worked fine, via the SANE interface. I did not do *anything* special
    to make that happen.

    I have a second SCSI scanner, an old Mictotek, used for slides. the docs
    say that SANE supports it. The problem is that the GIMP (and SANE) seem
    not to find it.

    I've tried a few things that I read about on websites (the Scanner HOWTO
    was one), but nothing I've tried causes the scanner to be recognized
    *anywhere* in Linux, by any piece of software I've tried.

    During the scrolling text that goes by during the boot process, I can
    see that the UMAX scanner is found, but for the other one -- nothing.

    I know it's really there, because in Mac mode, SCSI Probe finds it just
    fine.

    Now what? I'm a real neophyte at Linux, so I have no idea how to proceed.

    Isaac

  2. Re: Installing a second scanner

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:08:30 GMT,
    Isaac Wingfield , in

    Have you tried the sg utilities? http://www.torque.net/sg/u_index.html

    +> During the scrolling text that goes by during the boot process, I can
    +> see that the UMAX scanner is found, but for the other one -- nothing.

    Try the command dmesg. Also, look in /var/log and see if there are any
    problems.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Installing a second scanner

    Isaac Wingfield a écrit:
    > At the time I installed YDL on my G3, there was a UMAX SCSI flatbed
    > scanner attached to the Mac-- I had been using it for years.

    Wich model of UMAX ? We need more precision to help you ...

    > When I got YDL up and running, the GIMP knew all about that scanner, and
    > it worked fine, via the SANE interface. I did not do *anything* special
    > to make that happen.

    So, you're lucky :-)

    > I have a second SCSI scanner, an old Mictotek, used for slides. the docs
    > say that SANE supports it. The problem is that the GIMP (and SANE) seem
    > not to find it.

    Download this script, and try it. Post again if something goes wrong
    (minimum one of the above address is good):

    http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@l.../msg79877.html

    http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

    http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@l...an-scsi-bus.sh

    TIP :

    Copy this script in /usr/local/bin

    chmod u+x /usr/local/bin/rescan-bus-scsi.sh

    before using it...
    (you must be root)

    test it with /usr/local/bin/rescan-scsi-bus # or rescan-scsi-bus if
    /usr/local/bin is in the path

    TIP of TIP : if you are newbie, you can find the PATH with the command :

    echo $PATH

    The path are the directories where all the binaries can be found by the
    shell

    > I've tried a few things that I read about on websites (the Scanner HOWTO
    > was one), but nothing I've tried causes the scanner to be recognized
    > *anywhere* in Linux, by any piece of software I've tried.

    Did you try VueScan ?

    http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

    I'm working on a SANE version of the FS4000 US with VueScan...

    Yes, it's not free.

    > During the scrolling text that goes by during the boot process, I can
    > see that the UMAX scanner is found, but for the other one -- nothing.

    Did you test this after with the root account ? Perhaps is there a
    rights problem...

    What are the answer of :

    First :

    scanimage -L

    sane-find-scanner

    > I know it's really there, because in Mac mode, SCSI Probe finds it just
    > fine.

    > Now what? I'm a real neophyte at Linux, so I have no idea how to proceed.

    Hope this help you. Post againi if you've got any problem

    Cheers

    --
    NO ePATENTS / NON AUX BREVETS SUR LES LOGICIELS. Voir / See
    http://swpat.ffii.org/

    eric b

  4. Re: Installing a second scanner

    Thanks for the pointer to "rescan-scsi-bus.sh"; it reveals some
    interesting things (see below).

    The scanner that works is a UMAX 610S; I did *no* special installation
    for the UMAX, although it was attached to the Mac when I installed YDL;
    the Microtek was not.

    The one I'm trying to get working is a Microtek 300ZS (per dmesg) or
    600ZS (per scanimage) -- they report different things.

    I've done this sequence twice; it's repeatable:

    0) reboot

    1) During boot, the scrolliing text reports finding the UMAX, but not
    the Microtek.

    2) dmesg reports the UMAX but not the Microtek

    3) scanimage -L reports the UMAX but not the Microtek

    4) sane-find-scanner reports the UMAX but not the Microtek

    5) rescan-scsi-bus.sh finds BOTH the UMAX and the Microtek

    6) dmesg now finds BOTH UMAX and Microtek

    7) scanimage -L now finds BOTH

    8) sane-find-scanner now finds BOTH

    So it appears that "rescan-scsi-bus.sh" is doing *something*, and I
    suppose what I need to know, is how to get the to happen automatically
    during boot??

    > Did you try VueScan ?

    Only the Mac version, a while back; I didn't like it, and went back to
    Photoshop. GIMP and XSane will be great for my needs if I can just get
    the old Microtek to work.

    Isaac

    In article <3f8e3e58$0$28896$626a54ce@news.free.fr>, ericb
    wrote:

    > Isaac Wingfield a écrit:
    > > At the time I installed YDL on my G3, there was a UMAX SCSI flatbed
    > > scanner attached to the Mac-- I had been using it for years.

    > Wich model of UMAX ? We need more precision to help you ...
    >

    > > When I got YDL up and running, the GIMP knew all about that scanner, and
    > > it worked fine, via the SANE interface. I did not do *anything* special
    > > to make that happen.

    > So, you're lucky :-)
    >

    > > I have a second SCSI scanner, an old Mictotek, used for slides. the docs
    > > say that SANE supports it. The problem is that the GIMP (and SANE) seem
    > > not to find it.

    > Download this script, and try it. Post again if something goes wrong
    > (minimum one of the above address is good):
    >
    > http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@l.../msg79877.html
    >
    > http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh
    >
    > http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@l...escan-scsi-bus
    > .sh
    >

    > TIP :
    >
    > Copy this script in /usr/local/bin
    >
    > chmod u+x /usr/local/bin/rescan-bus-scsi.sh
    >
    > before using it...
    > (you must be root)
    >
    > test it with /usr/local/bin/rescan-scsi-bus # or rescan-scsi-bus if
    > /usr/local/bin is in the path
    >
    > TIP of TIP : if you are newbie, you can find the PATH with the command :
    >
    > echo $PATH
    >
    > The path are the directories where all the binaries can be found by the
    > shell
    > >
    > > I've tried a few things that I read about on websites (the Scanner HOWTO
    > > was one), but nothing I've tried causes the scanner to be recognized
    > > *anywhere* in Linux, by any piece of software I've tried.

    > Did you try VueScan ?
    >
    > http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported
    >
    > I'm working on a SANE version of the FS4000 US with VueScan...
    >
    > Yes, it's not free.
    >

    > > During the scrolling text that goes by during the boot process, I can
    > > see that the UMAX scanner is found, but for the other one -- nothing.

    > Did you test this after with the root account ? Perhaps is there a
    > rights problem...
    >
    > What are the answer of :
    >
    > First :
    >
    > scanimage -L
    >
    > sane-find-scanner
    >

    > > I know it's really there, because in Mac mode, SCSI Probe finds it just
    > > fine.

    > > Now what? I'm a real neophyte at Linux, so I have no idea how to proceed.

    > Hope this help you. Post againi if you've got any problem
    >

    > Cheers

  5. [LONG] Re: Installing a second scanner

    Hi,

    Isaac Wingfield a écrit:
    > Thanks for the pointer to "rescan-scsi-bus.sh"; it reveals some
    > interesting things (see below).

    Thank you, but I'm just an user of this good script...

    > The scanner that works is a UMAX 610S; I did *no* special installation
    > for the UMAX, although it was attached to the Mac when I installed YDL;
    > the Microtek was not.

    Don't know what's happening. You can have a look at /var/log/syslog with

    (you must be root) :

    tail -300 /var/log/messages | less # up, down to read and q for quit

    Or tail -300 var/log/syslog | less

    > I've done this sequence twice; it's repeatable:
    >
    > 0) reboot

    yes :-)

    > 1) During boot, the scrolliing text reports finding the UMAX, but not
    > the Microtek.

    Don't know why...

    > 2) dmesg reports the UMAX but not the Microtek

    <...cut...>

    > So it appears that "rescan-scsi-bus.sh" is doing *something*, and I
    > suppose what I need to know, is how to get the to happen automatically
    > during boot??

    I'm trying to do a backend for the Canon FS4000 (film sanner), et I've
    asked the same question on the SANE devel ml :

    So, a beginning of answer (from the sane-devel ml, september03):

    --------------------------#
    eric@b.org schrieb:

    >> sane-find-scanner detects the Canon scanner by sending a ACAI INQUIRY
    >> command to each SG device. The INQUIRY commands returns the data you
    >> also see from "rescan scsi bus" output: Things like device type and
    >> vendor/device name.

    *[me]*
    > rescan-scsi-bus.sh ask to the SG devices (through sg module I think) ,
    > and this one can answer something correct, because the question is very
    > "basic" (I mean it's not a (e.g.) Canon-specific command).
    > Is this correct ?

    *[abel deuring]*

    Yes. All SCSI devices must support a set of very basic commands like
    INQUIRY (returns some details like vendor, model, firmware revision,
    device type), TEST UNIT READY (is the device currently "accessible"?) or
    REQUEST SENSE (returns some details about an error in the previously
    issued SCSI command). If you need a bit more background: either read the
    source code of one or two Sane backends, or ask Another useful source
    for SCSI information is http://www.t10.org. There you can download the
    SCSI specification drafts. (Similar as other standard documents, the
    stuff available there isn't very easily readable, but comprehensive)
    Look for the SCSI 2 draft; your scanner is most likely a SCSI 2 device.

    <...cut...>

    *[me]*

    > I'll take this way : look at the FS2700 backend for write the FS4000.
    >
    >> this will be the only required patch, but it might be a start to get
    >> the FS4000 running with Sane -- at least via a SCSI adapter.
    >>

    > Ok : scanimage loads a backend, and sane-find-scanner/rescan-scsi-bus.sh
    > use generic commands directly.

    *[abel deuring]*

    Exactly.

    > Only the Mac version, a while back; I didn't like it, and went back to
    > Photoshop. GIMP and XSane will be great for my needs if I can just get
    > the old Microtek to work.

    Yes, I love Gimp + Xsane : exactly what no professionnal like me need...

    Cheers

    --
    NO ePATENTS / NON AUX BREVETS SUR LES LOGICIELS. Voir http://swpat.ffii.org/

    eric b