Post install config troubles - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Post install config troubles - Powerpc ; I've just installed Yellowdog Linux 3.0 on an iBook2. Subsequently I have run apt-get to upgrade all the packages to the newest versions. Almost everything has gone well but...... I can't seem to enable trackpad tapping. /etc/sysconfig/trackpad contains the line ...

  1. Post install config troubles

    I've just installed Yellowdog Linux 3.0 on an iBook2. Subsequently I have
    run apt-get to upgrade all the packages to the newest versions. Almost
    everything has gone well but......

    I can't seem to enable trackpad tapping.

    /etc/sysconfig/trackpad contains the line TRACKPAD_OPT=tap

    but tapping is not enabled.

    I modify /etc/fstab to contain a line

    /dev/sda /mnt/usbdisk vfat noauto,user,rw 0 0

    for a removeable usb disk, but when I reboot the entry is gone and I can no
    longer mount the disk as a normal user. How do I get the entry to stick,
    better still to automount on insertion?

    Finally, for now I think. Under X the keyboard map is fine all the keys work
    as expected, but when I login in at a console, I get my @ and my " mixed
    up. How do I set the keyboard map for a console login?

    TIA

    john collins

  2. Re: Post install config troubles

    John Collins wrote:

    > I've just installed Yellowdog Linux 3.0 on an iBook2. Subsequently I have
    > run apt-get to upgrade all the packages to the newest versions. Almost
    > everything has gone well but......
    >
    > I can't seem to enable trackpad tapping.
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/trackpad contains the line TRACKPAD_OPT=tap
    >
    > but tapping is not enabled.
    >
    > I modify /etc/fstab to contain a line
    >
    > /dev/sda /mnt/usbdisk vfat noauto,user,rw 0 0
    >
    > for a removeable usb disk, but when I reboot the entry is gone and I can
    > no longer mount the disk as a normal user. How do I get the entry to
    > stick, better still to automount on insertion?
    >
    > Finally, for now I think. Under X the keyboard map is fine all the keys
    > work as expected, but when I login in at a console, I get my @ and my "
    > mixed up. How do I set the keyboard map for a console login?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > john collins

    Hi, John--

    I'm no expert, and I can't help you with all of your questions. However, I
    can offer a suggestion regarding the removeable usb disk not being
    recognized.

    Under Gnome or KDE look for a menu, under System Settings, Server Settings,
    cclick on Services. Then look for an entry in the Services window, named
    "kudzu". Untick that entry. It will prevent kudzu from initializing at
    start and re-writing your fstab entries.

    As to your keymap problems, you might go to the Yellow Dog site and search
    the lists (located upper right) for keymap. There's been lot's of
    discussion about keymap entries/configuration on the lists as of late.

    Hope this is helpful. FWIW, YDL is *the* best distro for Macs, IMHO.

    Hope all is well,

    Joe

+ Reply to Thread