Yellowdog installation from CD - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Yellowdog installation from CD - Powerpc ; Hiya, I'd like to install Yellowdog on my Powercenter Pro 210. Is there a document that tells how to install from Harddisk after downloading the files from the FTP server, rather then installing from CD? thanks, minimal....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Yellowdog installation from CD

  1. Yellowdog installation from CD

    Hiya,

    I'd like to install Yellowdog on my Powercenter Pro 210.
    Is there a document that tells how to install from Harddisk after
    downloading the files from the FTP server, rather then installing
    from CD?

    thanks,
    minimal.

  2. Re: Yellowdog installation from CD

    In article ,
    "minimal" wrote:

    > Hiya,
    >
    > I'd like to install Yellowdog on my Powercenter Pro 210.
    > Is there a document that tells how to install from Harddisk after
    > downloading the files from the FTP server, rather then installing
    > from CD?


    I don't think you can do that, because the installer needs a Linux file
    system, not HFS.

    Isaac

  3. Re: Yellowdog installation from CD

    Isaac Wingfield wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "minimal" wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hiya,
    >>
    >>I'd like to install Yellowdog on my Powercenter Pro 210.
    >>Is there a document that tells how to install from Harddisk after
    >>downloading the files from the FTP server, rather then installing
    >>from CD?

    >
    >
    > I don't think you can do that, because the installer needs a Linux file
    > system, not HFS.
    >
    > Isaac


    You can do this with Debian-ppc (a friend did it for me). A beautiful
    HOWTO is available here:

    http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook/

    After a minimal Debian install (you do not need to configure anything,
    so it should not be difficult), you can take the necessary files for the
    yellowdog installation in the linux file system

    Alex


  4. Re: Yellowdog installation from CD

    In article , "minimal"
    wrote:

    > Is there a document that tells how to install from Harddisk after
    > downloading the files from the FTP server, rather then installing
    > from CD?


    Or how about how to install from CD after downloading the ISOs? How does one
    go about burning bootable, installable cds from those ISOs? I've never had
    to muck about with an ISO before, so I'm quite clueless on the matter (but
    *am* Toast Titanium-enabled).

    --
    "And as we drift along, I never fail | "It's the information age --
    to be astounded by the things we'll | everything gets saved
    do for promises... and a song." | except for the human soul."
    -- Dio, "All The Fools Sailed Away" | Rev. Matthew Carey, Vision Temple

  5. Re: Yellowdog installation from CD

    In article , Alejandro Gaita-Arinyo
    wrote:

    > You can do this with Debian-ppc (a friend did it for me). A beautiful
    > HOWTO is available here:
    >
    > http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook/


    In Mozilla, I got this:

    "Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page.
    This may be caused by cookies that are blocked."

    And in lynx, I got this:

    Looking up people.debian.org
    Making HTTP connection to people.debian.org
    Sending HTTP request.
    HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
    HTTP/1.1 302 Found
    Data transfer complete
    HTTP/1.1 302 Found

    lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or text/plain
    Exiting...

    --
    "And as we drift along, I never fail | "It's the information age --
    to be astounded by the things we'll | everything gets saved
    do for promises... and a song." | except for the human soul."
    -- Dio, "All The Fools Sailed Away" | Rev. Matthew Carey, Vision Temple

  6. Re: Yellowdog installation from CD

    In article , Zaren
    Ankleweed wrote:

    > Or how about how to install from CD after downloading the ISOs? How does
    > one
    > go about burning bootable, installable cds from those ISOs? I've never had
    > to muck about with an ISO before, so I'm quite clueless on the matter (but
    > *am* Toast Titanium-enabled).



    never mind, I got it:

    burn as Other -> ISO, then

    Select... Settings -> Joliet

    Installing from the GUI as I type

    --
    "And as we drift along, I never fail | "It's the information age --
    to be astounded by the things we'll | everything gets saved
    do for promises... and a song." | except for the human soul."
    -- Dio, "All The Fools Sailed Away" | Rev. Matthew Carey, Vision Temple

  7. Re: Yellowdog installation from CD

    In article , Zaren
    Ankleweed wrote:

    > burn as Other -> ISO, then
    >
    > Select... Settings -> Joliet
    >
    > Installing from the GUI as I type


    Okay, so now that I have the cds burned, the installer runs properly... but
    it freezes when attempting to install the Xfree86 libs. It even attempts to
    install them when I tell the installer to *not* install the X Windows
    software. Might this be a problem with the install cd, or could there be a
    drive space issue? I can re-run the installer and get the exact file name
    that it's sticking on if anyone's interested.

    --
    "And as we drift along, I never fail | "It's the information age --
    to be astounded by the things we'll | everything gets saved
    do for promises... and a song." | except for the human soul."
    -- Dio, "All The Fools Sailed Away" | Rev. Matthew Carey, Vision Temple

+ Reply to Thread