Yellow dog, Java, and Jakarta? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Yellow dog, Java, and Jakarta? - Powerpc ; I've discovered that not only does Yellow dog not come with support for apple serial ports or apple file systems, it also doesn't come with Java, or Jakarta support! It's taken me weeks to realize that this is useless! Does ...

  1. Yellow dog, Java, and Jakarta?

    I've discovered that not only does Yellow dog not come with support for
    apple serial ports or apple file systems, it also doesn't come with
    Java, or Jakarta support! It's taken me weeks to realize that this is
    useless! Does anyone know how to make this work, or have any other
    suggestions as per other distros I should try? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Yellow dog, Java, and Jakarta?

    Frank Meyer writes:

    > I've discovered that not only does Yellow dog not come with
    > support for apple serial ports or apple file systems, it also doesn't
    > come with Java, or Jakarta support! It's taken me weeks to realize
    > that this is useless! Does anyone know how to make this work, or have
    > any other suggestions as per other distros I should try? Thanks in
    > advance.

    I am not sure of the problem you refer to. On my 7600/200 at home I
    have YDL 2.3 and use the serial ports to communicate with my modem,
    log on to an ISP and so on. I also have Java installed and enabled
    from Mozilla. I have no idea what Jakarta is and can't comment. YDL
    2.3 (and 3.0) comes with a kernel HFS read/write module and with
    hfsplusutils to read HFSplus (with limitations).

    What version of YDL do you have and what is the machine you have it
    installed on? I have not upgraded my 7600/200 to YDL 3.0 and can't be
    sure what facilities it has built in. If it does not have the apple
    serial port module included you may need to rebuild the kernel with
    the support enabled. It does come with HFS file system support and a
    version of Java. If you want a more direct HFSplus file system
    support you will need to upgrade to a later kernel. There is a kernel
    module for HFSplus in 2.4.22 (or at least with the BenH modified
    version).

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics & Materials Engineering

  3. Re: Yellow dog, Java, and Jakarta?

  4. Re: Yellow dog, Java, and Jakarta?

    You can get JDK 1.4 support from IBM (I don't know the URL right now)
    I can't get NetBeans to run on it (some JDK reflection limitation) but JEdit
    works just fine.

    -Bryan
    "Keith Keller" wrote in message
    newsvgemb.6gc.ln@goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us...

  5. Re: Yellow dog, Java, and Jakarta?

    Stephen Harker wrote:
    > Frank Meyer writes:
    >

    >> I've discovered that not only does Yellow dog not come with
    >>support for apple serial ports or apple file systems, it also doesn't
    >>come with Java, or Jakarta support! It's taken me weeks to realize
    >>that this is useless! Does anyone know how to make this work, or have
    >>any other suggestions as per other distros I should try? Thanks in
    >>advance.

    > I am not sure of the problem you refer to. On my 7600/200 at home I
    > have YDL 2.3 and use the serial ports to communicate with my modem,
    > log on to an ISP and so on. I also have Java installed and enabled
    > from Mozilla. I have no idea what Jakarta is and can't comment. YDL
    > 2.3 (and 3.0) comes with a kernel HFS read/write module and with
    > hfsplusutils to read HFSplus (with limitations).
    >
    > What version of YDL do you have and what is the machine you have it
    > installed on? I have not upgraded my 7600/200 to YDL 3.0 and can't be
    > sure what facilities it has built in. If it does not have the apple
    > serial port module included you may need to rebuild the kernel with
    > the support enabled. It does come with HFS file system support and a
    > version of Java. If you want a more direct HFSplus file system
    > support you will need to upgrade to a later kernel. There is a kernel
    > module for HFSplus in 2.4.22 (or at least with the BenH modified
    > version).

    I downloaded ver 3.0 of Yellow Dog. It does have HFS, but not HFS+.
    It does not have Java, and the only java that would work was blackdown
    and the plug-in still does not work with mozilla. I'm running an
    original 233mhz G3 dual boot to 9.1. What I wanted it for was to try
    running Apache/Tomcat (Jakarta) web applications. I just don't know
    what else to do. I've tried even recompliling the kernel, but some
    thing just keep holding back. What else am I missing?

  6. Re: Yellow dog, Java, and Jakarta?

    Frank Meyer writes:

    > Stephen Harker wrote:
    > > Frank Meyer writes:
    > >
    > >> I've discovered that not only does Yellow dog not come with
    > >>support for apple serial ports or apple file systems, it also doesn't
    > >>come with Java, or Jakarta support! It's taken me weeks to realize
    > >>that this is useless! Does anyone know how to make this work, or have
    > >>any other suggestions as per other distros I should try? Thanks in
    > >>advance.

    > > I am not sure of the problem you refer to. On my 7600/200 at home I
    > > have YDL 2.3 and use the serial ports to communicate with my modem,
    > > log on to an ISP and so on. [...]

    For Apple serial ports and the default kernel you need to load the
    macserial module. To do this, if you have sudo working, from a shell
    use the command `modprobe macserial. If you don't have sudo working
    use `su -' from a shell, give the root password, then issue the
    command (type `exit' to quit being root).

    To avoid having to do this all the time you would need to (as root or
    using sudo) edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local. This can be done from a
    shell using the command `sudo vi /etc/rc.d/rc.local' (or your
    favourite editor). Add the command `modprobe macserial' in this file
    and it will be loaded automatically at boot.

    > I downloaded ver 3.0 of Yellow Dog. It does have HFS, but not
    > HFS+. It does not have Java, and the only java that would work was
    > blackdown and the plug-in still does not work with mozilla. I'm
    > running an original 233mhz G3 dual boot to 9.1. What I wanted it for
    > was to try running Apache/Tomcat (Jakarta) web applications. I just
    > don't know what else to do. I've tried even recompliling the kernel,
    > but some thing just keep holding back. What else am I missing?

    For java I thought YDL came with an older version of blackdown java.
    However, a google search using the terms 'YDL 3.0 java' turned up as
    first item a message from one Gregory Hamilton to one of the YDL
    mailing lists with the following content:

    I've run Tomcat on YDL3.0 using IBM Java 1.4.1. I haven't done anything
    with it yet, I just fired it up and verified it served the default
    content.

    If you're running the IBM Java on a G3 you need to set the following:

    export JITC_PROCESSOR_TYPE=6

    I suggest you follow this thread as returned by Google as there is
    more information that followed. There are more hits that look
    relevant in the google search results, but this looked the best
    starting point.

    For HFS+, as I mentioned in my post, you need a later kernel than that
    which accompanies YDL 3.0. The kernel module for HFS+ read/write was
    only released in May _after_ YDL 3.0. The YDL people do provide a
    later kernel with HFS+ support compiled in. Again, a Google search
    provides a message to the YDL lists with the url:
    http://stage.terraplex.com/~dburcaw/...20-10d.ppc.rpm
    You should appreciate that this module is still experimental. I
    would only use read/write to a `transfer' partition: a small partition
    that could be reformatted if there is a problem.

    You could also download and/or compile and install a later kernel,
    such as 2.4.22 with hfsplus supprt, with or without extra ppc patches
    from http://ppckernel.org/.

    The other method is to use the `hfsplusutils' I mentioned in my
    earlier post. If you have installed it (it is on one of the CDs) it
    provides shell commands such as: hpcd hpcopy hpftodit hpls hpmount
    hprm (plus others, all in /usr/bin). You can use a shell command such
    as `rpm -qa | grep hfs' to find hfs related rpms you have installed
    and `rpm -ql hfsplusutils' will list all the files in this rpm (if
    installed).

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics & Materials Engineering
    Monash University http://www.ph.adfa.edu.au/s-harker/
    Baloney Baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell

+ Reply to Thread