OSX update 10.2.8 (New) Safe for YDL? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on OSX update 10.2.8 (New) Safe for YDL? - Powerpc ; Hello, I was wondering if anyone with a dual-boot OSX/YDL 3.0 setup has tried the *new* OSX 10.2.8 update. I know that they pulled the first version of this update after a few hours because it was causing problems. Also, ...

  1. OSX update 10.2.8 (New) Safe for YDL?

    Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone with a dual-boot OSX/YDL 3.0 setup has tried the
    *new* OSX 10.2.8 update. I know that they pulled the first version of
    this update after a few hours because it was causing problems. Also, the YDL
    website warned not to install it, as it erased one of the linux partitions
    or something. But I haven't heard anything about the recently re-released
    version of the 10.2.8 update.

    Robert B. Rowsome
    rowsome@wam.umd.edu

  2. Re: OSX update 10.2.8 (New) Safe for YDL?

    Robert B. Rowsome wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I was wondering if anyone with a dual-boot OSX/YDL 3.0 setup has tried the
    > *new* OSX 10.2.8 update. I know that they pulled the first version of
    > this update after a few hours because it was causing problems. Also, the YDL
    > website warned not to install it, as it erased one of the linux partitions
    > or something. But I haven't heard anything about the recently re-released
    > version of the 10.2.8 update.

    I updated a 500Mhz dual usb ibook with the new 10.2.8 combo updater and could'nt
    boot using the 2.4.20 benh kernel. I had some older kernels in my yaboot option and
    was able to boot with an older kernel (2.4.16 or 2.4.17). Once I got the ibook booted,
    I grabbed the 2.4.22 kernel source and patched it with benh's 2.4.22 ben2 patch.

    oddly enough, I had the same 2.4.20 kernel running on a dual 500 Mhz G4 updated
    with the same 10.2.8 update and it booted fine into linux. The ibook, OTOH, caught
    an exception right at the start of the boot sequence and promptly shut itself off
    using the 2.4.20 kernel. The date on the ibook was also messed up reverting back to
    1904. It booted fine into OSX and OS9

    --

    Bicycle Crash Test Dummy for Hire
    gustilo@mail.med.upenn.edu

  3. Re: OSX update 10.2.8 (New) Safe for YDL?

    Robert B. Rowsome wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I was wondering if anyone with a dual-boot OSX/YDL 3.0 setup has tried the
    > *new* OSX 10.2.8 update. I know that they pulled the first version of
    > this update after a few hours because it was causing problems. Also, the YDL
    > website warned not to install it, as it erased one of the linux partitions
    > or something. But I haven't heard anything about the recently re-released
    > version of the 10.2.8 update.

    I updated a 500Mhz dual usb ibook with the new 10.2.8 combo updater and could'nt
    boot using the 2.4.20 benh kernel. I had some older kernels in my yaboot option and
    was able to boot with an older kernel (2.4.16 or 2.4.17). Once I got the ibook booted,
    I grabbed the 2.4.22 kernel source and patched it with benh's 2.4.22 ben2 patch.

    oddly enough, I had the same 2.4.20 kernel running on a dual 500 Mhz G4 updated
    with the same 10.2.8 update and it booted fine into linux. The ibook, OTOH, caught
    an exception right at the start of the boot sequence and promptly shut itself off
    using the 2.4.20 kernel. The date on the ibook was also messed up reverting back to
    1904. It booted fine into OSX and OS9

  4. Re: OSX update 10.2.8 (New) Safe for YDL?

    On 6/10/03 1:37 am, in article %O2gb.48470$ZR1.33462@nwrddc01.gnilink.net,
    "gustilo@g4.bellatlantic.net" wrote:

    > Robert B. Rowsome wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I was wondering if anyone with a dual-boot OSX/YDL 3.0 setup has tried the
    >> *new* OSX 10.2.8 update. I know that they pulled the first version of
    >> this update after a few hours because it was causing problems. Also, the YDL
    >> website warned not to install it, as it erased one of the linux partitions
    >> or something. But I haven't heard anything about the recently re-released
    >> version of the 10.2.8 update.

    > I updated a 500Mhz dual usb ibook with the new 10.2.8 combo updater and
    > could'nt
    > boot using the 2.4.20 benh kernel. I had some older kernels in my yaboot
    > option and
    > was able to boot with an older kernel (2.4.16 or 2.4.17). Once I got the ibook
    > booted,
    > I grabbed the 2.4.22 kernel source and patched it with benh's 2.4.22 ben2
    > patch.
    >
    > oddly enough, I had the same 2.4.20 kernel running on a dual 500 Mhz G4
    > updated
    > with the same 10.2.8 update and it booted fine into linux. The ibook, OTOH,
    > caught
    > an exception right at the start of the boot sequence and promptly shut itself
    > off
    > using the 2.4.20 kernel. The date on the ibook was also messed up reverting
    > back to
    > 1904. It booted fine into OSX and OS9

    I updated my G4500(sawtooth) and had no problems at all? I know it only
    broke the Ethernet on SOME macs and was supposed to stop YDL booting. I have
    since used the fixed 10.28 update (came out yesterday) but the first one
    didn't stop the mac from booting. I haven't yet applied the update to my
    ibook500(may2001, also running YDL),will wait and see what happens?
    Colin

+ Reply to Thread