no sound YDL / PCI G4 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on no sound YDL / PCI G4 - Powerpc ; Hi, I've been putting this off for a while,but thought it was time to sort it out. I have a old PCI G4 400 that has Yellow Dog on it. The only problem I have is the sound server doesn't ...

  1. no sound YDL / PCI G4

    Hi,

    I've been putting this off for a while,but thought it was time to sort it
    out.

    I have a old PCI G4 400 that has Yellow Dog on it. The only problem I have
    is the sound server doesn't work. It identifies it ok (I think) as a
    DMASOUND but nothing ever happens.

    Anyone got it going? Or is mine a one off?

    Thanks

    Nick

  2. Re: no sound YDL / PCI G4

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:35:44 +1200, Nick wrote:

    > I have a old PCI G4 400 that has Yellow Dog on it. The only problem I have
    > is the sound server doesn't work. It identifies it ok (I think) as a
    > DMASOUND but nothing ever happens.
    >
    > Anyone got it going? Or is mine a one off?

    If your method of getting to YDL is via BootX from MacOS,
    you might not be alone. If this is so, what version of MacOS?

    --Teh

    --
    My mailbox is NOT an advertisement medium. Tehrasha Darkon
    My address is NOT for sale, lease or rent. darkon@netins.net

  3. Re: no sound YDL / PCI G4

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:59:58 +0000, Tehrasha Darkon wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:35:44 +1200, Nick wrote:
    >
    >> I have a old PCI G4 400 that has Yellow Dog on it. The only problem I have
    >> is the sound server doesn't work. It identifies it ok (I think) as a
    >> DMASOUND but nothing ever happens.
    >>
    >> Anyone got it going? Or is mine a one off?

    > If your method of getting to YDL is via BootX from MacOS,
    > you might not be alone. If this is so, what version of MacOS?
    >
    > --Teh

    Well that brings up another problem. I have replaced the Zip drive on the
    G4 with an old drive and have YDL on there. I cannot get yaboot, or even
    manually via openfirmware, to boot so I have to boot the YDL CD and add a
    root=/dev/ etc to the linux command from there.

    I haven't tried BootX, but it's worth a go and see if that helps or
    hinders.

    Thanks

    Nick

  4. Re: no sound YDL / PCI G4

    On 25/9/03 11:26 pm, in article pan.2003.09.25.22.26.14.42680@kcbbs.gen.nz,
    "Nick" wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:59:58 +0000, Tehrasha Darkon wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:35:44 +1200, Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a old PCI G4 400 that has Yellow Dog on it. The only problem I have
    >>> is the sound server doesn't work. It identifies it ok (I think) as a
    >>> DMASOUND but nothing ever happens.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone got it going? Or is mine a one off?

    >> If your method of getting to YDL is via BootX from MacOS,
    >> you might not be alone. If this is so, what version of MacOS?
    >>
    >> --Teh

    > Well that brings up another problem. I have replaced the Zip drive on the
    > G4 with an old drive and have YDL on there. I cannot get yaboot, or even
    > manually via openfirmware, to boot so I have to boot the YDL CD and add a
    > root=/dev/ etc to the linux command from there.
    >
    > I haven't tried BootX, but it's worth a go and see if that helps or
    > hinders.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nick

    First of all you don't need to use bootX on this mac, its "newworld", only
    "old world" macs need mscos and bootx to startup. As for sound, I have
    sound working on my AGP G4 500, much the same as yours but with an 2xAGP
    slot, and my ibook 500 (may2001). On the ibook it works "out of the box" as
    they say, but there was a little tweaking to do on the G4, depending on what
    sound program you want to use. Let me know what you want and I'll give you
    details, there are to many variations to give them all here now (ie: do you
    just want system sounds? Or do you want to use a media program like xmms or
    real player, etc, etc). Also you do know that the ZIP drive on a G4 is NOT
    for another HD. It is not recommended to put one there, it will cause your
    Mac to overheat, there are other spare drive bays INSIDE the case. Yaboot
    comes with YDL, you should be able to use it on that Mac. Hope this all
    helps
    Colin

  5. Re: no sound YDL / PCI G4

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:45:34 +0000, Colin Ward wrote:
    > As for sound, I have
    > sound working on my AGP G4 500, much the same as yours but with an 2xAGP
    > slot, and my ibook 500 (may2001). On the ibook it works "out of the box" as
    > they say, but there was a little tweaking to do on the G4, depending on what
    > sound program you want to use. Let me know what you want and I'll give you
    > details, there are to many variations to give them all here now (ie: do you
    > just want system sounds? Or do you want to use a media program like xmms or
    > real player, etc, etc).

    I woudl like it all really :-) System soudns would be nice, but MP3 and cd
    audio is more important.

    >Also you do know that the ZIP drive on a G4 is NOT
    > for another HD. It is not recommended to put one there, it will cause your
    > Mac to overheat, there are other spare drive bays INSIDE the case. Yaboot
    > comes with YDL, you should be able to use it on that Mac. Hope this all
    > helps
    > Colin

    I used to work for the local Apple distributor and told many people the
    same thing about overheating. The drive is the coolest drive in the
    machine. I guess it depends on the drive.

    Thanks

    Nick

+ Reply to Thread